Pro bono work is a vital element of who we are.
It is a long-standing tradition of the Firm to provide legal services free of charge for those who cannot afford a lawyer. In 2018 alone, Simpson lawyers devoted more than 56,000 hours to pro bono projects, advocating on behalf of low-income clients and the nonprofits that serve them. The Firm is consistently recognized as a pro bono leader, and was recently honored with the 2018 American Bar Association’s Pro Bono Publico Award, presented annually to institutions in the legal profession that demonstrate outstanding commitment to volunteer legal services.
Pro Bono Video
“The firm gives us opportunities without measure, unlimited resources and exposure to work and colleagues demanding our highest efforts. By understanding the world and our place in it, we can, I believe, use our talents and lives to the greatest personal, professional and societal advantage.”
-Cyrus R. Vance (The First One Hundred Years 1884-1984 – Simpson Thacher & Bartlett)
- Learn more here.
Diversity is not just a goal at Simpson Thacher, it is an imperative.
The commitment to diversity and inclusion at Simpson Thacher is evident from the top down. Creating an inclusive environment is a top priority for Firm leadership, which recognizes that a diverse talent pool offers the best possible legal counsel to our clients.
To advance an inclusive environment at Simpson Thacher, among other things, we:
- Champion diversity and inclusion efforts throughout the Firm with active engagement from Firm leaders, including the Chairman of our Executive Committee, members of the Executive Committee, and heads of offices and practices.
- Collaborate with partners in our Diversity Committee and the Women’s Committee to maintain and strengthen inclusion efforts across offices.
- Empower associates and counsel from across offices to contribute to inclusion efforts through participation in our Diversity Advisory Council and Women’s Advisory Council.
- Support six Affinity Groups including:
- Asian Affinity Group; Black Affinity Group; LGBTQ Affinity Group; Parent Affinity Group; South Asian Affinity Group; STB Colegas (Latinx).
- Support four Inclusion Networks in our various U.S. offices including:
- Houston, Los Angeles, Palo Alto, and Washington, D.C.
- Promote gender equity and parity across offices through our Women’s Initiative, Lean In Groups across offices, and strategic client collaborations.
- Invest in the professional development and advancement of our lawyers of color, women, members of the LGBTQ community, and other underrepresented groups.
- Host Heritage Month Celebrations: Black History Month; Women’s History Month; Asian Pacific American; and Hispanic Heritage Month.
- Host an annual Citywide Diversity event where prominent diversity proponents share their views to advance inclusion. Recent speakers include Preet Bharara, Misty Copeland, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Bryan Stevenson.
- In 2019, our Citywide Diversity event will feature trans activist Laverne Cox
- Hold a biennial diversity leadership conference for LGBTQ, and associates and counsel of color from across our U.S. offices, offering workshops, as well as updates from Firm leaders.
- Offer an optional diversity mentoring program for junior associates in the larger practice groups in NY.