2022 Vault Rankings
At a Glance
“Brilliant, friendly, hardworking colleagues.”
“The training and experience is top notch.”
“Long, unpredictable hours.”
“Lack of visibility into future promotion.”
About Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
A Wall Street institution, Simpson Thacher houses elite teams in M&A, banking, capital markets, private equity, and litigation. With more than 900 lawyers across 10 global offices, Simpson Thacher has long held its spot among the most elite law firms in the world.
Hear Them Roar
In 1884, three Columbia Law grads—John Woodruff Simpson, Thomas Thacher, and William Milo Barnum—hung a shingle in lower Manhattan. It didn’t take them long to leave their mark in the history books, jumping right in to the railroad reorganizations of the 1880s and having a hand in some of the most important deals relating to U.S. infrastructure—for example, advising none other than General Electric as it set up power and light companies, setting up the American Locomotive Company, and structuring the American Gas and Electric Company. These early years were but a preview of the sophisticated work that was to come.
Racking Up Rankings
With top 10 rankings in six of Vault’s transactional practice area rankings—Private Equity, Securities/Capital Markets, Banking & Financial Services, General Corporate Practice, M&A, and Project Finance—Simpson Thacher sits pretty upon a corporate throne. The firm has one of the world’s premier M&A practices, with a unique strength in all aspects of private equity. Simpson Thacher’s award-winning corporate practice leads front page deals involving M&As, private fund formation and investments, equity and debt capital markets offerings, joint ventures, project financings and infrastructure development, structured financings, syndicated loans, debt restructurings and bankruptcies, privatizations, and real estate transactions. The firm counts AEP, Aramark, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Blackstone, First Reserve, Hellman & Friedman, Hilton Hotels, Kohlberg Kravis & Roberts (KKR), Mars, Microsoft, Silver Lake Partners, The Carlyle Group, and Weight Watchers among its clients.
While their corporate counterparts are making deals, the firm’s litigators are making their own headlines. Simpson Thacher is among the top 20 firms in Vault’s General Commercial Litigation ranking and top 10 firms in Vault’s Securities Litigation ranking. The firm’s securities litigators have represented the most prominent financial institutions and corporations in securities fraud and financial-related litigation, including Alibaba, Best Buy, Deutsche Bank, JPMorgan Chase, Morgan Stanley, Pfizer, SeaWorld, Spotify, TD Bank, Travelers, Twitter, and UBS. Simpson also brings its A-game when it comes to white collar work. Among the areas that its Government and Internal Investigations attorneys handle are financial fraud, FCPA, health care fraud, insurance fraud, violations of the FCA, anti-money laundering violations, and much more.
Ready, Ready, Ready
If there is one thing associates at Simpson Thacher can be sure of, it’s that they have the support they need to develop in their legal careers. First years participate in the firm’s innovative new training program called STBReady, which is taught in collaboration with Columbia Business School. The program covers business and financial literacy, as well as the kind of work associates will do in their specific practice areas and industry-specific knowledge and techniques. The training also helps associates hone their teamwork, efficiency, knowledge sharing, and technology use.
The firm performed exceptionally well throughout the COVID-19 crisis. We successfully transitioned to a work-at-home environment, ensuring the health and safety of the Simpson Thacher community while quickly adjusting to the technological challenges of a remote workplace. Our clients kept us engaged and busy with new and existing deals and litigation matters.
Our 2021 virtual summer associate program offered a varied curriculum that included substantive work, an introduction to the firm and its practice groups, and numerous pro bono opportunities. During our 11-week program, summer associates were integrated seamlessly onto Simpson teams and actively contributed to the firm’s headline cases and deals. As in years past, summer associates were assigned partner and associate mentors who provided training opportunities and client exposure. To promote connectivity and integration, summer associates received a virtual “office mate” and were assigned to small group “home rooms” offering regular gatherings among the class and frequent check-ins with Recruiting. The firm also hosted optional in-person events for those summer associates interested.
News & Awards
- Simpson Thacher advised on 5 of the 10 largest global private funds closings in 2020 (the most of any firm) and 3 of the top 5 largest funds raised in H1 2021, including the largest fund raised so far this year. The firm’s clients include Blackstone/GSO, Carlyle, KKR, Silver Lake, Lexington Partners, BC Partners, EQT, and Hellman & Friedman.
- A global technology powerhouse, Simpson continues to lead the charge on transactions across the sector, including advising Bumble in its $2.5 billion IPO, Dell Technologies in the $52 billion announced spin-off of its ownership interest in VMware, and Microsoft in its announced $19.7 billion acquisition of Nuance Communications.
- Simpson won a 7-0 decision by the Kentucky Supreme Court, shutting down a $50 billion litigation seeking to shift liability for underfunded public pension funds onto hedge funds and their executives, a victory that earned us a 2021 Benchmark Litigation Impact Case Award.
- Simpson represented Vitol, the largest independent oil trader in the world, in reaching agreements with the Department of Justice and Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) regarding alleged corruption and trading issues related to the Latin American “Operation Car Wash” scandal, which was the CFTC’s first corruption-related Commodity Exchange Act resolution.
- Law Firm of the Year in: Equity, M&A and Private Equity, 2021—IFLR Americas
- Practice Group of the Year in: Capital Markets, Energy, Fund Formation, Mergers & Acquisitions, Private Equity, Technology, 2020—Law360
- National Practice Group of the Year in Securities Litigation, 2018-2020, and Insurance Litigation, 2013-2019, 2021—Benchmark Litigation
- Pro Bono Firm of the Year, 2020—Benchmark Litigation and “Pro Bono Hotlist” honoree, 2020—National Law Journal
- U.S. Gold Standard Firm, 2012-2021, and U.K. Gold Standard Firm, 2021—Women in Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF)
425 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10017
Phone: (212) 455-2000
Chairman of Executive Committee: William R. Dougherty
Hiring Partners: Brooke Cucinella, Peter Gilman, and Juan Naveira
Total No. Attorneys (2021):
1K - 1.5K
No. of Partners Named 2021:
All U.S. offices
1st year: $205,000
2nd year: $215,000
3rd year: $240,000
4th year: $275,000
5th year: $305,000
6th year: $330,000
7th year: $350,000
8th year: $365,000
Summer Associate: $3,942 /week
Director, Legal Recruiting
No. of U.S. Offices: 5
No. of International Offices: 6
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY (HQ)
Palo Alto, CA
Washington, DC I Beijing
Banking and Credit
Executive Compensations and Employee Benefits
Government and Internal Investigations
International Regulatory and Compliance
Labor and Employment
Mergers and Acquisitions–Corporate M&A and Private Equity
Private Capital and Special Situations
Public Company Advisory Practice
Real Estate and REITs
Restructuring and Bankruptcy
*See firm website for complete list of practice areas and industries.