2022 Vault Rankings
At a Glance
“Brilliant, friendly, hardworking colleagues.”
“The training and experience is top notch.”
“Long, unpredictable hours.”
“Lack of visibility into future promotion.”
News & Awards
- Simpson Thacher advised on 5 of the 10 largest global private funds closings in 2020 (the most of any firm) and 3 of the top 5 largest funds raised in H1 2021, including the largest fund raised so far this year. The firm’s clients include Blackstone/GSO, Carlyle, KKR, Silver Lake, Lexington Partners, BC Partners, EQT, and Hellman & Friedman.
- A global technology powerhouse, Simpson continues to lead the charge on transactions across the sector, including advising Bumble in its $2.5 billion IPO, Dell Technologies in the $52 billion announced spin-off of its ownership interest in VMware, and Microsoft in its announced $19.7 billion acquisition of Nuance Communications.
- Simpson won a 7-0 decision by the Kentucky Supreme Court, shutting down a $50 billion litigation seeking to shift liability for underfunded public pension funds onto hedge funds and their executives, a victory that earned us a 2021 Benchmark Litigation Impact Case Award.
- Simpson represented Vitol, the largest independent oil trader in the world, in reaching agreements with the Department of Justice and Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) regarding alleged corruption and trading issues related to the Latin American “Operation Car Wash” scandal, which was the CFTC’s first corruption-related Commodity Exchange Act resolution.
- Law Firm of the Year in: Equity, M&A and Private Equity, 2021—IFLR Americas
- Practice Group of the Year in: Capital Markets, Energy, Fund Formation, Mergers & Acquisitions, Private Equity, Technology, 2020—Law360
- National Practice Group of the Year in Securities Litigation, 2018-2020, and Insurance Litigation, 2013-2019, 2021—Benchmark Litigation
- Pro Bono Firm of the Year, 2020—Benchmark Litigation and “Pro Bono Hotlist” honoree, 2020—National Law Journal
- U.S. Gold Standard Firm, 2012-2021, and U.K. Gold Standard Firm, 2021—Women in Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF)
425 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10017
Phone: (212) 455-2000
Chairman of Executive Committee: William R. Dougherty
Hiring Partners: Brooke Cucinella, Peter Gilman, and Juan Naveira
Total No. Attorneys (2021):
1K - 1.5K
No. of Partners Named 2021:
No. of U.S. Offices: 5
No. of International Offices: 6
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY (HQ)
Palo Alto, CA
Washington, DC I Beijing