“WWU Political Science and Experiential Learning”
April 2019FORMER STUDENT

Plenty of opportunities for experiential learning for undergraduate students at WWU. I spent a quarter in Olympia, lobbying for access to higher education through the Associated Students of Western Washington University. Due to WWU's flexible internship options, I received credit for this paid position as well. This was just one internship that I completed during my time at WWU, each of which was flexible and allowed me to design learning outcomes that met my objectives. These allowed me to give back to the local community while making valuable connections that landed me a job in the local nonprofit sector within a year of graduating.

Inconsistent academic rigor from professor to professor. As with most institutions, there were some professors who helped students excel and others who didn't push students beyond the basics. This also made it challenging to select classes and create a quarterly predictable academic plan.

Comments

Bellingham is an incredible city with a wealth of opportunities to engage in local industry, social services, and community building activities.