“2013 graduate”
March 2019FORMER STUDENT

Class size, great professors, access to professors, Winston Salem is a great place for law school, quality curriculum

The school is private and therefore expensive, parking is an issue on campus

Comments

Immerse yourself in the school and culture, feel comfortable speaking with your professors outside of class, treat it like a job and you will do well.

“Southern Charm, Transactional Training”
March 2015FORMER STUDENT

Small, collegial and supportive environment. Not the most prestigious law school in the country, but also not trying to be. Self-assured and highly-qualified professors that opt-in to living in Winston-Salem over NYC or other legal hubs. Politically moderate law school where the emphasis is learning the law and how to think, not b/s classes like Third-Wave Feminism and the Law.

No complaints. This is a law school for nice, friendly and polite people. It has a very genteel atmosphere.

Comments

Three years fly by. Take a break from city life and enjoy North Carolina and Winston-Salem.

Very easy to get access to Professors. They are very helpful.

Great Gym and off campus housing for graduate students. I've lived their for one year.

The faculty and staff are very helpful and friendly when I asked for some application related matters.

LSAT, Application, essays

call size: 40 (very small and nice)

socratic method used

mix of theory v. blackletter

grade on 85 curve

good study abroad (london, venice, vienna)

workload is a fair amount

cost of living is cheap

W-S is not the best town, but it has everything I need

very safe

great!

LSAT

LSAC GPA

personal statements

forms

the quality of most of the 1L classes has been outstanding. It appears that once I get through this year, I will be able to choose both theory and practical courses. Right now my class size is 40 for each class. There is a study abroad program that I will participate in over the summer. The grading is fair and the faculty is great.

Cost of living is low. The campus is beautiful and the law school is all contained in one building on the undergraduate campus but still isolated from it. Some of the classrooms can be a little cramped. There is no problem with housing or dining in Winston Salem. It's quite nice here.

nothing outside of the ordinary LSAT + GPA +resume + personal essay

Class sizes are very small. Upper level courses are often less than 10 people.

Only one professor uses the true Socratic Method (Civil Procedure I)

Some students are very competitive, others are not. Some students won't share outlines. Others will. Some students approach teachers to argue for a better grade. Others take their grade and live with it. There is a good range.

Cost of Living: incredible.

Campus: nice, but parking is a little annoying. I pay $100 to park a half mile from the law school.

Facilities: great

Library: open 24 hours. amazing.

LSAT, application, essay (personal statement), letters of recommendation.

classes are about 35 people for all of 1L year; upper level classes range from 5 or 6 people to 50 or 60. We have study abroad programs in Venice, London and Vienna that are amazing.

Everyone is SO supportive. I met the best friends I've had in my entire life at Wake. Everyone is smart and competitive, but always there to help you and support you.

There are many opportunities for clinics and work outside of the school. Also, with three journals at a relatively small school it is not that difficult to spend some time working for a journal during law school.

The thing that really drew me to Wake Forest was the professional presentation of their website and the materials that were sent to my upon acceptance, and the relationship that the admissions staff created after acceptance, but before I agreed to come to the school. Also, there was a tremendous amount of financial aid available, and the scholarship I received lessed the financial risk of going to law school by a large factor.

The class sizes are fairly small as first year law students we have 4 sections of 40 students for our 4 core classes, then are split into two smaller sections of 20 for writing. In total each year has 160 students, and in a given year there are about 10 LLMs. The faculty is incredibly accessible. They go out of their way to get to know their students, by having lunch with them, inviting the class over to their house for dinner, or always having open doors and being wiling to talk with their students about anything, law related or not. Many of the professors take on students as research assistants during the summer, our Torts professor is writing the 4th restatement and has asked a student to help him with that task. There are 3 unique study abroad programs, 2 of which include housing abroad. There is significant amounts of work to do, however, everyone manages.