“law”
February 2016FORMER STUDENT

I liked the Professors and their willingness to interact with the students, both during and after hours.

I found the location of the campus to be in a bad neighborhood. I also found the campus to be too small.

Comments

I thought the education prepared you well for the practice of law in California

The classes are very difficult and intense in the teaching and curriculum. The class sizes are reasonable and professors are always available to discuss the material. The Socratic method is implemented with care and students never feel like they are being picked on or degraded. The competitive environment on campus is not uncomfortable; students will always help one another, even if they are in the same class or vying for the same grade. Our study abroad program in Salzburg, Austria offers a course with Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy; I don't think any other school has that!

The cost of living on campus is very reasonable compared to the surrounding community and the dorm area is right on the campus, so walking to classes or meetings is very easy. The facilities on campus are new and welcoming, the library is open late and the dining menu is wonderful. Our safety is fantastic; we have public safety officers patrolling the campus 24/7. I am extremely happy at McGeorge.

For UOP McGeorge, we are asked to apply through LSDAS with our LSAT, application and letters of recommendation. There are extensive scholarship and financial aid opportunities.

All of the teachers are very knowledgeable in the classes that they teach. Many of the teachers have done outside research on the subjects, and some have even written casebooks. First year classes are fairly large but the teachers make themselves available after class and hold office hours for any questions that were not answered. Some teachers are more Socratic than others, but with or without the Socratic method, all of the teachers do their best to engage students in the discussion about the topic being discovered. While everyone is striving to do their best, the students are very friendly and not very outwardly competitive. One unique program is academic success where two teachers teach you how to be a law school student, how to brief cases, take notes, take law school exams, etc. We also have the opportunity to learn how to do legal research and writing in our first and second year. We are taught how to use ALWD and bluebook, and how to research using online and print sources.

The quality of life at the school is high, since it is a 13 acre campus, there are multiple buildings at the school, including a student center with a cafeteria, library, computer lab, and multiple classrooms. The public safety is great, you can always see them driving around campus and the surrounding neighborhoods. They send out monthly emails regarding any on campus incidents that students should be aware of. The students seem generally happy with the quality of the school and its professors.

Uses LSAC to gather letters of recommendation, LSAT scores, resume, and personal statement. From these items, the school determines if they want to offer you a scholarship. And you also use FAFSA to apply for financial aid.

The school mixes theory and practical study by inviting practioners into classes to speak. There are also extensive clinic and externships programs.

The study abroad program in Salzburg is not only fun and educational, but gives students the opportunity to take classes from Justice Kennedy!

Greensheets is a legislative law review that publishes student written articles. It is a great opportunity to have work published and become familiar with legislation in California. Being in the state capitol makes the Legislature very accessible.

The campus contains only the law school, so everyone is geared toward the study of law. The campus has a close, comforting feel. Students hang out on the grassy quad together in good weather. Often I will see a group of students playing games on the quad or having picnics.

The law school staff are always helpful and remember students (everyone from the man in the cafeteria to the receptionist for the Dean of Students greets me by name).

Campus Security is such a consistent presence that I have never felt unsafe on campus.

The law school is very involved with the community. Last week a group of students, teachers and staff volunteered at the Sacramento Food Bank together. The school sponsors public health and safety days for the community and even sponsors a Little League Team!

The school is renovating the library and it will be finished next year. The new library is going to be beautiful! The school has done a very good job of not letting the construction be loud or distracting. I have hardly noticed that there is construction on campus!

Great academic scholarships offered to first year students! The school also awards a large number of first year students the "Book Scholarship" so all textbooks for the first year are free from the campus bookstore.

McGeorge has a number of notable faculty members who have published text books and study guides used throughout the nation, including other law schools such as Harvard and Stanford. McGeorge strives to produce practice-ready attorneys. The on-campus clinics and Greensheets division of the McGeorge Law Review present unique opportunities to students.

On-campus housing is great. The campus is beautiful. The surrounding neighborhood is not the best, but public safety officers patrol the campus 24 hours per day, and I have never felt unsafe on campus. The library is under construction and will be great when finished. Community relations are great. Overall, it is the best atmosphere I could have hoped for at a law school.

The quality of classes at McGeorge are exceptional! The professors are amazing and the students are very alert and prepared. The Socratic method is widely used. At McGeorge, there is a perfect balance of theory and practical study. The professors teach theory, but make sure to give practical examples. Furthermore, McGeorge has an exceptional number of opportunities for students to be involved in the practical application of the law. There are externships, internships, clinics, moot court and mock trial teams, and many more.

Class sizes vary. During first year, the classes are divided by sections and can have 80 people in a full class such as torts. Others are divided in half, such as property was for me. During second and third year the classes tend to decrease in size because of the options available for classes.

The academic advising is very helpful at McGeorge and they even go so far as to have an optional Academic Success class for first year students, which is very beneficial. Workload is manageable as long as students have time-management skills. There are also wonderful study abroad opportunities for students in the summers and during the school year. Salsburg is a notable program where Supreme Court Justice Kennedy teaches one of the classes there.

McGeorge allows for uniqueness within the student essays. LSAT scores are generally above average along with good GPA scores. The financial aid and scholarship opportunities at McGeorge are wonderful. The Financial Aid Office is incredible and always willing to help get loans and help you apply for more scholarships. Furthermore, the school is very good about giving a number of scholarships to incoming and continuing students annually.

excellent, great on-campus housing, good community relations/outreach, campus safety is effective, dining during the week is adequate

Essay, LSAT, Financial Aid, the normal stuff

I can't speak highly enough about the academics at our school. The professors are committed to their students and they really take the time to prepare for class and explain things throughly. Most professors (especially during the first year) do some kind of modified Socratic method and keep the students involved. There are many research opportunities -- I am working on a directed research project directly with one of my professors where I am writing a scholarly article that I expect to have published in a law review journal. My classmates and I care about how we do in school and we want to do well, but I would not describe the atmosphere at our school as overly competitive. People tend to be very supportive, including sharing outlines and other materials.

The quality of life at Pacific McGeorge is very high. There is a good sense of community on campus and people are generally interested in getting to know their classmates and establishing lasting friendships. The library is currently under construction, but the construction noise doesn't seem to impact our daily lives, plus it will be done sometime next year and then there will be a fancy library. The cost of living in Sacramento is great in comparison to the rest of California. I am able to afford to live on my own in a one bedroom apartment, which is great! The campus isn't in the nicest part of town (though also not the worst), but I have always felt incredibly safe here and in the surrounding neighborhood. There are several coffee shops, restaurants, etc. within walking distance, which is really nice.

The one thing I really appreciate about Pacific McGeorge's admissions process is that it's not just about "the numbers." They genuinely care about admitting an incoming class of diverse, motivated, and interesting students and actually take the time to read our personal statements, letters of recommendation and other application materials.

The classes are wonderfully engaging despite large class sizes; they feel much smaller than they are. The socratic method here is challenging, but not intimidating. Many of the faculty members have written casebooks and supplements on their subjects.

Very good--this is only a law school, so everyone around is connect to law. The community is great.

LSAC/LSDAS is a helpful resource for applying to law schools from one main online location. The LSAT was painful for me personally; I would highly recommend a prep course to future students. I think it would have helped me. McGeorge emphasizes commitment to studies more than student statistics, however, which is refreshing.

The academics are high. We are taught by the actual professors who have written textbooks used at many other higher ranking law schools. We have a number of specialized certificate and concentration programs, a study abroad program with additional consortium agreements with other law school's study abroad programs, clinical programs, mentoring programs, intern & extern programs, class sizes are no more than about 80-100 students in the first year and gradually decrease to 25-40 for specialization classes. Many classes have a hands-on approach: learn by doing. Most classes are a modified Socratic Method, but that doesn't mean they are easy! The professors expect students to be well prepared for class, think critically, and speak intelligently.

Lots of quiet places to study and our own Courtroom, easy access to faculty & staff, little to no crime on campus, in a Capital city with lots of places for culture and dining, moderately priced housing, huge computer lab for those without a computer (or whose computer died suddenly), and the students are very helpful to each other and to visitors to campus.

Lsat, Unique Application, Resume, Personal Statement, FAFSA, 3 letters of recommendation, Transcripts of all undergraduate work & degrees, etc.