I think the overall quality of classes is solid. We have some truly outstanding professors here. The class sizes are ok, and its very competitive to get either an A or a B+. Academic advising is basically non-existent. The faculty is wonderful, while the staff is not. The legal writing and research programs need to be improved. The career services woman is a complete idiot and lazy. She tells people to look for jobs on google, and does nothing whatsoever to contribute to the school.

The building is brand new and awesome, and has anything that you could ever want.

I didn't think there was much to it. Take the LSAT, fill out an application. The financial aid opportunities are terrible if you aren't a minority. If you are African American, you go to school for free if accepted. If you aren't, you apparently have neither needs nor merits. I knew a student who was as high as second in the class after one semester, and that student only gets $1000 in financial aid, currently. Even after the first year, there are some private scholarhships that are ok, but its mostly a joke. It's inexpensive to go here, so it balances out somewhat.

Many classes focus on practical application of the law. However, many of these courses focus on litigation. Students wishing to learn more about transactional law must make a deliberate effort to seek out these courses and professors.

We have some really exceptional teachers but then we have some teachers where I question why they are teaching the subject they are teaching.

Quality of life is great. Many fun things to do. The social scene is awesome and the campus is beautiful.

Personal Statement, LSAT, GPA

Honestly, as 1L, I don't know if I am a good judge of the academics. I don't know any other institutions. I do know that law school is the most difficult academic environment I've ever been in. I can say that some professors are boring and teach class like Professor Kingsfield in "The Paper Chase" and others are very passionate and want you to succeed so they try to conduct a class that is very informative as well as explanatory. It probably isn't helpful to name professors because as a 1L your schedule is created for you and you can not change it or switch professors. Just be prepared to work 10 to 20 times harder than you did as an undergrad.

The cost of living in Mississippi is not expensive compared to other states. I currently live off campus in a two bedroom apartment for $720/month. I used to live on campus when I was an undergrad. However, the school does not provide for graduate or law housing so you'll be living in a dorm with younger and immature undergrads.

As far as I can recall, the process included an essay which had to be one to two pages long, the LSAT, the the typical application process which included many questions on the LSDAS, as well as a background questionnaire which required a separate typed document listing all of my traffic violations. I would have to say that LSAC and LSDAS are the biggest hassles in the whole process, however, just about every school requires you to use LSAC and LSDAS, so there's no way around it.

The law library needs some work, but it will be better once we move into the new building next year.

It's a whole-application review process, so anything you can add to your file helps. The school requires the LSAT and LSAC/LSDAS admissions process, a resume, official transcript, and essay. The admissions personnel recommended that I write multiple essays since I came in from out of state (for example, why I wanted to attend that particular school, why I was seeking resident status, etc.), but those additional essays were not required. Mississippi residents are preferred, and the University of Mississippi School of Law has very reasonable in-state tuition. It was easy for me to get student loans, but it's extremely difficult to get a scholarship.

I continue to be amazed by several of my professors--their encyclopedic knowledge, passion, and commitment to students. Don't be fooled by the low ranking, this faculty's excellent.

There are two certificates available: Criminal Law, and Space Law. I'm getting the Criminal Law certificate, so can't really remark on too many civil classes.

If you come here, take the following classes once you slog through 1L year:

Federal Jurisdiction (George Cochran)

Mississippi Innocence Project (Tucker Carrington, clinical course)

Criminal Procedure, both 1 and 2 (Jack Nowlin or Matthew Hall)

Civ Pro II (Ben Cooper)

Criminal Appeals Clinic (Phil Broadhead)

Prosecution Function (Hans Sinha)

Several of these classes/clinics substantially altered the way I think about the legal profession and the criminal justice system.

It's a beautiful campus in a charming town. There are James Beard-Awarded chefs in the downtown restaurants. The cost of living is low, very little crime or traffic.

The new law school opens in January 2011. Can't say what it'll look like in there, but the building is MASSIVE and, we're told, state of the art, conforming to LEED "green building" standards.

LSAT, and LSAC's usual format. I applied online and received admissions and scholarship notifications via email. I only applied to Ole Miss, so I don't know if the process is unique. I expect not.

Ole Miss Law is nearly all theory with little emphasis on practical study. First year uses the Socratic method in all classes (except for Legal Research & Writing). The Socratic method softens with 2L and 3L classes. Academic advising is sparse, class sizes range anywhere from 10 to 100 students. The competitive spirit amongst students is average to below average. The Space Law program is prestigious. Grading was highly dependent on the professor and inconsistent from class to class. There are study abroad opportunities to China and Cambridge, England. The workload was less than I expected first year and even less in second and third years.

The cost of living in Oxford, MS is extremely low. The cost of tuition is also very low. The campus is beautiful and the town of Oxford is amazing. The Lamar Law building is built like a prison and takes a lot out of you. However, a brand new building is scheduled to open in December 2010. Crime is very low. Dining, housing, and all other aspects of Oxford are fantastic.

Socratic method the first year followed by more informal, smaller classes in the second and third years.

LSAC/LSDAS, personal essay, LSAT, GPA, etc.

2009

Get the new building completed ASAP!!

They used mostly LSAT scores and undergraduate GPAs for admission. They let in too many African-American students that were NOT qualified to be in law school just for affirmative action's sake, which brings down the quality of all of our degrees. They were not only admitted, they were given hefty scholarships that students who excelled while in law school did not receive. I graduated magna cum laude and participating in several prestigious organizations, but I barely had any scholarships.

I feel like the professors are fantastic and the program is very good. We are short on funds and that the program could be much better if it were better funded. We're very strong in some academic respects, but also lacking in others.

Our law school building is very old. In fact, they're building a brand new one that should be ready by next year. But, it doesn't have windows, which makes it feel like a dungeon. Otherwise the staff/faculty are great and love walking around and speaking with students. The campus is very safe and the town is quaint.

They look at application, LSAT scores, GPA. There aren't many financial aid opportunities, you pretty much have to take out loans for everything.