University of Michigan Law School

“Good place to spend three years”
May 2015FORMER STUDENT

The faculty is very high quality, and the course offerings are very good. I also appreciate the national alumni network. Michigan feeds its graduates to all of the major legal markets, so there's less competition among your peers and a broader network to tap into when looking for a job.

Because the school is in a small college town, it's a very insular community. It can be helpful to really get to know your class, but more often than not, it just makes everyone really cliquey. Good luck if you don't find a good group of people early in your 1L year.

Comments

Michigan is a great place to go if you aren't sure where you want to practice after graduation. It has national recognition and will get your foot in the door at a lot of different places.

“Fading star”
April 2015FORMER STUDENT

Still a top school; very strong faculty; very strong student body

Placement at top firms is declining; no natural home market; clerkship placement is declining; class sizes are increasing, diluting the brand and placement; placement is now more like Georgetown than Penn or Virginia

Comments

UMich needs lots of high-LSAT students to make its numbers, so they are willing to wheel and deal on tuition if you can help them look good.

My 1L classes were excellent, good mix of theory and practice. Socratic method used extensively and to good effect. Pretty competitive classes, but not cut throat. Leading faculty. Tough grading. Lots of study abroad opportunities. Tough but just manageable workload.

Cost of living is lower than the East Coast. Ann Arbor is a good town, small but not tiny. MLaw facilities are good.

Michigan Law is very selective and requires additional essays and a high LSAT. It has excellent financial aid and scholarship opportunities.

Fantastic - wide range of class offerings; accessible, brilliant, engaging professors; numerous clinical opportunities. Grading guidelines struck me as fair, and similar to most other law schools'; students almost always were able to get into courses of their choice.

Ann Arbor is the jewel in Michigan's crown, but a jewel in one of the nation's most economically strapped states nonetheless - cost of living runs about 1/3 of what it does in NY or SF. In addition, the law school itself is considered the architectural gem of the University - it wasn't unusual to see brides and grooms getting their wedding photos snapped in the Quad. While the current space is a bit cramped, the law school is about to open an absolutely gorgeous, state-of-the-art new building; I only wish I had attended the school long enough to take advantage of it. The library always struck me as more than adequate, though it feels a bit outdated architecture-wise. The moot courtroom is gorgeous, Ann Arbor is charming and vibrant. Overall happiness - a 10.

Totally standard. No unique application questions.

High quality of classes; emphasis on doctrine and theory; varied use of Socratic method based on the professor's style; advising should be sought out by students; class sizes are varied; larger classes are more competitive; average workload; lots of international opportunities.

Cost of living is low in the midwest, everything is close to campus, very collegial atmosphere.

Questions are standards on the applications; LSAT range is high 160s/low 170s; the process also takes into consideration the candidate as a whole, their background and what they could bring to the law school

The classes are theory-heavy and, unless you seek out practical classes (practicums, clinics, etc), you probably won't get much practical advice, but I believe this is probably true of most big law schools.

I could not be happier with the quality of life at Michigan. The other students are great and fun to be around, the community is outstanding, and Ann Arbor is a fantastic place to spend three years at school.

There were a couple optional Michigan specific essays. Other than that, it was pretty standard.

Professors are generally great teachers, and you learn who to avoid. They do a decent job of selecting their big names for 1L classes. The atmosphere is competitive, especially during this climate, but we're told people are friendlier and more helpful to one another than at other top schools, and so I think the kind of people who want that self-select into the school. The workload is very demanding.

There was one short supplemental essay (with a choice of topics). I also wrote another supplemental essay after I was informed I was being considered for the Clarence Darrow merit scholarship. I ended up being awarded that scholarship, which was full tuition for all four years.

I got a lot of practical experience, and this is due to the many opportunities the school offers for practical learning. For instance, I was a student attorney in the general clinic and the human trafficking clinic, and I also worked as a student attorney at an externship at the South African Human Rights Commission.

Perhaps because I am focused on a field of law that doesn't draw too many students (international human rights law), I never felt any competitiveness from other students. It always felt like the students in my classes were supportive of my learning and studies.

The school has a couple of nice gyms that law students can use, and they are never very crowded. The Law Library is quite nice and spacious, and the computer labs are almost always very free.

The applications essays are quite different from other schools' essays - they seem to ask questions that get more to who an applicant is as an individual, and the essays give you chance to be creative and open. This was not the case with the other top-15 schools I applied to.

In my 1L year, the majority of the classes were taught from coursebooks authored by my professor. And when not, specifically in Criminal Law, my professor had represented a number of the defendants in the cases we read. The frist hand knowledge and expertise the professors bring to the classroom is awesome.

The professors stress their willingness and to meet with students. You start to wonder if their days have more hours in them because it's a wonder how they find the time to teach, meet with students, publish, represent pro bono clients, and have a family. But since getting to know a number of faculty members well, I can attest that they manage to do it.

The collegial community at Michigan is fostered from the ground-up by the many professor couples on the law faculty. I and my fellow classmates have found the Michigan Law "family" is not just a figure of speech here.

While I was making my decision, the admissions office was eager to help facilitate discussions with current students and recent alumni about their experience at Michigan and their job search after graduation.

Michigan's notification process was quick and efficient. The notifications and decision indicators relieved a lot of stress.

I appreciated being able to answer separately how I stand apart in diversity instead of trying to lump it into my statement like I was forced to do on other applications.

You have to take the LSAT, write a personal statement, and then you can select to write 2 essays on a number of topics they provide. Of course you have to register with LSCAS. From what I remember financial aid doesn't come in until after you are admitted, but maybe that is because I was a summer starter.

2008