“Great school, relatively strong value”
July 2018FORMER STUDENT

The professors are top notch. It is relatively small and you are paying tuition on the lower end compared to other top 40 schools.

There were some challenges related to diversity and inclusion. I assume that’s not uncommon for any law school.

Comments

Overall great school. I’ll mention that I had classes with 3 federal judges, including Gorsuch, and 2 state Supreme Court justices. It really does attract great academics, and is simply a tier above the other law school in the state in most metrics, but at a lower price tag.

“Great School in a Beautiful Location!”
March 2015FORMER STUDENT

Beautiful location and facilities, great faculty, cooperative and collegial atmosphere. Great entrepreneurial law clinical program.

On campus recruiting was fairly limited. It was difficult to find an job outside of the Colorado market.

Comments

Boulder is a great city in which to live. Students should take advantages of opportunities to work with faculty in a small seminar style environment.

The class style largely depends on the professor. Most of the first year profs. use the Socratic method. After that, it is easier to find more laid back profs. In general, students are happy to help each other and are not very competitive. Rather, they are more focused on everybody enjoying their law school experience and understanding the material.

Everybody is wicked nice.

Colorado law school is extremely selective. It is among the top 20 most selective law schools. This is great because it means that you know you will be studying with high achieving and small students.

Faculty are top notch (it's not hard to attract national caliber faculty to Colorado), with renowned experts in natural resources and water law, indian law, venture capital and entrepreneurship, and telecom/energy, among others. Class sizes are very reasonable (most under 30), and faculty are skilled and accessible. Most use a modified Socratic method with cold calls. Students work hard, but the atmosphere is remarkably collegial. For students who aspire to be at the top of their class, the workload is heavy.

I love it here. The academics are rigorous, but students both work and play hard. Housing starts at around $500/month for shared apartments. The new law building is excellent - a great resource and a nice place to work. Students (and faculty) come to Colorado because they want a balance - serious study and great quality of life. It doesn't hurt to have the foothills at our doorstep, skiing within 30 minutes (larger mtns 1.5 hrs), and a vibrant town (Boulder has 100,000 people; Denver is 1/2 hour away with no traffic).

The admissions process prioritizes on-campus visits, as it's hard to communicate the feel of the school otherwise. One personal anecdote - I emailed 12 professors cold when I was considering attending. Every single one responded and most suggested that we set up a phone call. I did not receive this response at most other schools that I considered.

Colorado Law has increased scholarship opportunities significantly under our current Dean. Tuition is still very reasonable compared to most private law schools; however, it has been rising due to decreased funding from the state. We shouldn't see much in additional cuts (as the state contribution has approximately bottomed out).

The professors (at least those within the environmental and natural resource courses) are very intelligent, engaging, and accessible to students. They challenge students without being overbearing, demeaning, or critical of students intelligence or in class responses. The in these classes sizes tend to vary between 35 to 10 or below and regardless of size discussion tends to ensue. Although some classes, such as Administrative law can have upwards of 60 students in them. The classes are geared towards practice and theory and tend to use the Socratic method. The student body is congenial and cooperative v. aggressive and competitive. The workload I imagine is similar to other schools. Externship opportunities are rather limited with only 4 hours allowed without having to petition for more. If you petition for more hours and get it you end up having to write the equivalent of a seminar paper on top of externship work and other classes. Thus, the amount of academic focus indeed seems interfere with students opportunities to have hands on, real world experience and be competitive with other law schools who allows their students to extern for an entire semester.

The cost of living is ridiculous but the location couldn't be better. The community is very safe, despite several instances of violence earlier this year. The demographics are odd, the majority being college students or those very well off (due to cost of living) which unfortunately prevents more local businesses from sticking around and starting up. The campus is great, the facilities are modern to accommodate technology, clean, and green (relatively). Moot courtrooms are exceptionally nice and realistic.

The admissions process was highly competitive and on average appears to discriminate against Colorado residents. The application process was nearly identical to other schools - although slightly more streamlined. Scholarship opportunities are decent but financial aid is insufficient considering Boulder's expensive living costs. Given Boulder is the second most expensive county in the State (Aspen in first place) leaves students with very tight budgets because financial awards don't seem to consider this. Being very tight on money results in greater stress, which isn't exactly what law students need. I am not advocating for excessive loans, merely ones that realistically account for living expenses.

The classes are good. I had a professor first semester that really disappointed me. She missed and canceled classes a lot, we didn't learn a lot, and she was terrible at replying to emails. Other than that stand out disappointing class, the rest of the classes are really great and so are the professors. Academic advising could be a lot better! Almost non-existent.

Cost of living in Boulder is expensive. But Boulder is beautiful. The law school is beautiful. I generally feel safe. Students/faculty seem to be happy.

Pretty much the same as the rest of the admissions processes I encountered ... personal statement, LSAT, GPA, application form, etc. One difference is that it seemed like there was a lot fewer scholarships available to incoming students and it took the school forever to notify me about scholarships. I received a lot of scholarships to every other school I applied to and none from CU. The only reason I chose CU was because I am a resident of CO it was cheaper even without any scholarships. That was a little disappointing though.

As if we know.

Top notch faculty, a couple tenured hangers on, but our environmental law faulty and Indian law program are without peer.

High cost of living area, very friendly students with balanced lives.

It is a smaller law school, so the faculty is pretty available to everyone and class sizes aren't too large. The environment is more collaborative than competitive, which I like. They always offer classes taught by judges. Next semester I will be taught be a judge from the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals and a judge from the Colorado Supreme Court. The class is small enough that you have the opportunity to do almost everything that you want to (journal, moot court, mock trial.)

Boulder is awesome, especially for those who like the outdoors. There is hiking, climbing, snowboarding close by. It is a little expensive. But, it is a beautiful town with great people.

no professors are mean and scary. some use socratic method, but its a good teaching method! they dont do it to intimidate you. class sizes are good. people arent very competitive, you can ask anyone for notes if you miss a day of class! love cu!

law school is new and awesome. boulder is a great city, though it is expensive. people at the school have a good balance of work and play.

good chance of getting scholarships!