“Better than TLS would have you believe”
July 2015CURRENT STUDENT

I've had good and bad professors, but the good ones have been great!

Genuinely collegial environment--there's competition, obviously, but it really is kept at a minimum.

Lack of resources from the career services office: I'm filling out this review to get access to the law firm guides for OCI, which most law schools already provide for their students.

Not having a reading week before finals

Comments

CU Law really is a great school. I can't imagine being anywhere else. If you are looking for a school where you'll learn a lot but will also be able to make good friends and not have to worry about an absurdly cut-throat environment, CU is definitely for you!

The quality of professors is absolutely outstanding. My professors are incredibly brilliant, have very impressive resumes, and are respected experts in their respective fields. The University of Colorado strikes a very good balance between theory and practical study, with classes with less black letter law tending to focus more on policy and classes with more black letter law focusing less on policy. Class sizes are large, for the most part, but I am a first year student and we are all taking the same courses, so again this is understandable. Grading seems to be fair and the standards by which we are judged are clearly articulated to students. The workload appears to be less than some of the top 14 law schools, but my only experience with those schools is through mutual friends, so they could be overstating their actual workload (or the increased workload may be necessitated by the higher quality, harder working students those schools attract). The University of Colorado is unique in that it is not competitive in the least bit. Students are incredibly willing to work together, and the school fosters this positive, helpful environment by the friendliness and accessability of its administrative staff and professors. The University's only shortcoming may be its lack of structured advising for first year students. Of course, students can get advice from any of their professors quite easily, and it may be better this way, since students are encouraged to "network" with their professors.

Boulder is amazing. Our law school building is state of the art and brand new. Our library is beautiful, spacious, and there are always open computer workstations with very high end machines available for use. The community is incredibly safe, and the students here seem to be very happy.

Nothing particular unique from other law schools. Scholarship opportunities likely similar to other schools. LSAT and LSAC GPA are understandably given great weight in the admissions process, though I am proof positive that the University of Colorado takes a holistic approach to admissions.

Extremely good mix of theory/case based and experiential practical study. Socratic method is used but not in a mean way. Everyone is smart and works hard but is not overly focused on competing against each other. Very good class sizes. 1L classes are sometimes too large but upper level classes are typically a very manageable sizes.

Cost of living in Boulder is mid-range, more expensive than a normal "college town" but less than a big city. The undergraduate campus is very nice, but is also somewhat separated, which makes the law school feel more insulated. The facilities and library are amazing; practically brand new. Large computer lab and a decent number of computers at cubicles; also laptops available for checkout in the library. Boulder has a great dining and nightlife scene. Overall everyone is happy because there are so many outdoor activities, in all seasons, that most people are very active and hence happier than the average law student.

LSAT, Undergraduate (and post-graduate) GPAs, recommendation letters, open subject essay, legacy status is considered

The classes are a great combination of theory and application. The faculty is highly approachable but still very impressive. Many professors are leaders in their field. But every one of them will take a few minutes to talk to you about your career if you want. It's a great environment.

Our school is beautiful and the people are as laid back as law students can be while still being very intelligent and driven. I love the environment. It's safe and friendly.

It is a pretty standard process. LSAT, LORs, financial aid, essay, etc.

All of my professors created an excellent environment conducive to learning. Not all of them engaged in the socratic method, however, even those that do, do so in a respectful manner. No teacher has ever made a student cry or feel stupid. Class size varies from around 90 people in large lectures to 6 in a seminar. Students are competitive but respectful and collegiate. No one has refused to send me their notes or given me the wrong answer to a question. Only the top third of the class is ranked (and these rankings are not posted) so if you are not in the top third then you never know if you are the last person or right below the cut off. We generally don't talk about grades among our friends. Our faculty is very accessible, they are always willing to meet outside of class to talk about school or future jobs.

Boulder is like any college town since the undergraduate community is also there so it drives up the cost of living. If you go 10, 20 or 30 minutes outside of Boulder the prices go down and Denver is only about 40 minutes away if you prefer to live in the city. The mountains are so close, it's so easy to go hiking or biking after class. Snowboarding and skiing are within 45 minutes - 3 hours depending on where you want to go. Generally the sunshine keeps people very happy as well. Colorado is a Leed certified school and has a lot of a recycling. Crime and safety overall is fairly good - there are some issues with the undergraduate campus. The school has a lot of computers and study spaces, the library is very modern and they are constantly asking for our feedback and implementing improvements. There is a tea/coffee shop right in the cafe which also sells some food items. We also have one appellate courtroom and one trial courtroom.

Scholarships are available to prospective students with very high test scores and grades, however, after the first year the school had a wide range of scholarships available for 2Ls and 3Ls to apply for.

The classes vary considerably by professor. The sizes tend to run large, but professors manage to make the Socratic method work even in large classes. Most professors emphasize theory in their classes. Unfortunately the academic advising is somewhat lacking - there's no good advisor system. The students are really friendly and most are quite helpful. There's competition, but it's not at all cutthroat.

Boulder is a wonderful place to live. There's a lot of sunshine and plenty to do outside to take your mind off law school. The law building is brand new and the library is fantastic! The location is the number one reason to come here.

It's fairly standard. You have to take the LSAT, fill out the application on the LSAC website, write a personal essay. The financial aid and scholarships have been pretty great.

Great faculty. Some of the more popular courses fill up, but generally speaking you can get into any class. Great environmental offerings. Improved international offerings. Business law is strong. The Entrepreneurial focus is a very cool program, including the entrepreneurial law clinic.

The worst part of Colorado Law School is attractive undergrads in the library studying communications. The best thing(s): Boulder, skiing, beer, medical marijuana (if you're into that), Colorado, mountains, low competitiveness, etc.

Apply like normal.

median LSAT score is 163 (90%)

median undergraduate GPA is 3.6

Small class size, plenty of practical learning opportunties

Great new law building with full courtroom. Boulder has many opportunities for life outside of the school too. Happiness tends to be very high

Classes and professors are high quality. Class sizes for 1L courses seems larger than necessary, e.g. 75% of my courses have had 60+ students.

The school is pretty expensive, but the facilities are excellent. The community is generally safe, but also very expensive.

LSAT and GPA seem to be the most important thing.