“Great school, relatively strong value”
July 2018FORMER STUDENT

The professors are top notch. It is relatively small and you are paying tuition on the lower end compared to other top 40 schools.

There were some challenges related to diversity and inclusion. I assume that’s not uncommon for any law school.

Comments

Overall great school. I’ll mention that I had classes with 3 federal judges, including Gorsuch, and 2 state Supreme Court justices. It really does attract great academics, and is simply a tier above the other law school in the state in most metrics, but at a lower price tag.

“Better than TLS would have you believe”
July 2015CURRENT STUDENT

I've had good and bad professors, but the good ones have been great!

Genuinely collegial environment--there's competition, obviously, but it really is kept at a minimum.

Lack of resources from the career services office: I'm filling out this review to get access to the law firm guides for OCI, which most law schools already provide for their students.

Not having a reading week before finals

Comments

CU Law really is a great school. I can't imagine being anywhere else. If you are looking for a school where you'll learn a lot but will also be able to make good friends and not have to worry about an absurdly cut-throat environment, CU is definitely for you!

“Great School in a Beautiful Location!”
March 2015FORMER STUDENT

Beautiful location and facilities, great faculty, cooperative and collegial atmosphere. Great entrepreneurial law clinical program.

On campus recruiting was fairly limited. It was difficult to find an job outside of the Colorado market.

Comments

Boulder is a great city in which to live. Students should take advantages of opportunities to work with faculty in a small seminar style environment.

The class style largely depends on the professor. Most of the first year profs. use the Socratic method. After that, it is easier to find more laid back profs. In general, students are happy to help each other and are not very competitive. Rather, they are more focused on everybody enjoying their law school experience and understanding the material.

Everybody is wicked nice.

Colorado law school is extremely selective. It is among the top 20 most selective law schools. This is great because it means that you know you will be studying with high achieving and small students.

Top notch faculty, a couple tenured hangers on, but our environmental law faulty and Indian law program are without peer.

High cost of living area, very friendly students with balanced lives.

The classes are good. I had a professor first semester that really disappointed me. She missed and canceled classes a lot, we didn't learn a lot, and she was terrible at replying to emails. Other than that stand out disappointing class, the rest of the classes are really great and so are the professors. Academic advising could be a lot better! Almost non-existent.

Cost of living in Boulder is expensive. But Boulder is beautiful. The law school is beautiful. I generally feel safe. Students/faculty seem to be happy.

Pretty much the same as the rest of the admissions processes I encountered ... personal statement, LSAT, GPA, application form, etc. One difference is that it seemed like there was a lot fewer scholarships available to incoming students and it took the school forever to notify me about scholarships. I received a lot of scholarships to every other school I applied to and none from CU. The only reason I chose CU was because I am a resident of CO it was cheaper even without any scholarships. That was a little disappointing though.

Classes and professors are high quality. Class sizes for 1L courses seems larger than necessary, e.g. 75% of my courses have had 60+ students.

The school is pretty expensive, but the facilities are excellent. The community is generally safe, but also very expensive.

LSAT and GPA seem to be the most important thing.

median LSAT score is 163 (90%)

median undergraduate GPA is 3.6

It is a smaller law school, so the faculty is pretty available to everyone and class sizes aren't too large. The environment is more collaborative than competitive, which I like. They always offer classes taught by judges. Next semester I will be taught be a judge from the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals and a judge from the Colorado Supreme Court. The class is small enough that you have the opportunity to do almost everything that you want to (journal, moot court, mock trial.)

Boulder is awesome, especially for those who like the outdoors. There is hiking, climbing, snowboarding close by. It is a little expensive. But, it is a beautiful town with great people.

The professors (at least those within the environmental and natural resource courses) are very intelligent, engaging, and accessible to students. They challenge students without being overbearing, demeaning, or critical of students intelligence or in class responses. The in these classes sizes tend to vary between 35 to 10 or below and regardless of size discussion tends to ensue. Although some classes, such as Administrative law can have upwards of 60 students in them. The classes are geared towards practice and theory and tend to use the Socratic method. The student body is congenial and cooperative v. aggressive and competitive. The workload I imagine is similar to other schools. Externship opportunities are rather limited with only 4 hours allowed without having to petition for more. If you petition for more hours and get it you end up having to write the equivalent of a seminar paper on top of externship work and other classes. Thus, the amount of academic focus indeed seems interfere with students opportunities to have hands on, real world experience and be competitive with other law schools who allows their students to extern for an entire semester.

The cost of living is ridiculous but the location couldn't be better. The community is very safe, despite several instances of violence earlier this year. The demographics are odd, the majority being college students or those very well off (due to cost of living) which unfortunately prevents more local businesses from sticking around and starting up. The campus is great, the facilities are modern to accommodate technology, clean, and green (relatively). Moot courtrooms are exceptionally nice and realistic.

The admissions process was highly competitive and on average appears to discriminate against Colorado residents. The application process was nearly identical to other schools - although slightly more streamlined. Scholarship opportunities are decent but financial aid is insufficient considering Boulder's expensive living costs. Given Boulder is the second most expensive county in the State (Aspen in first place) leaves students with very tight budgets because financial awards don't seem to consider this. Being very tight on money results in greater stress, which isn't exactly what law students need. I am not advocating for excessive loans, merely ones that realistically account for living expenses.