“Great school, relatively strong value”
July 2018FORMER STUDENT

The professors are top notch. It is relatively small and you are paying tuition on the lower end compared to other top 40 schools.

There were some challenges related to diversity and inclusion. I assume that’s not uncommon for any law school.

Comments

Overall great school. I’ll mention that I had classes with 3 federal judges, including Gorsuch, and 2 state Supreme Court justices. It really does attract great academics, and is simply a tier above the other law school in the state in most metrics, but at a lower price tag.

“Better than TLS would have you believe”
July 2015CURRENT STUDENT

I've had good and bad professors, but the good ones have been great!

Genuinely collegial environment--there's competition, obviously, but it really is kept at a minimum.

Lack of resources from the career services office: I'm filling out this review to get access to the law firm guides for OCI, which most law schools already provide for their students.

Not having a reading week before finals

Comments

CU Law really is a great school. I can't imagine being anywhere else. If you are looking for a school where you'll learn a lot but will also be able to make good friends and not have to worry about an absurdly cut-throat environment, CU is definitely for you!

“Great School in a Beautiful Location!”
March 2015FORMER STUDENT

Beautiful location and facilities, great faculty, cooperative and collegial atmosphere. Great entrepreneurial law clinical program.

On campus recruiting was fairly limited. It was difficult to find an job outside of the Colorado market.

Comments

Boulder is a great city in which to live. Students should take advantages of opportunities to work with faculty in a small seminar style environment.

The class style largely depends on the professor. Most of the first year profs. use the Socratic method. After that, it is easier to find more laid back profs. In general, students are happy to help each other and are not very competitive. Rather, they are more focused on everybody enjoying their law school experience and understanding the material.

Everybody is wicked nice.

Colorado law school is extremely selective. It is among the top 20 most selective law schools. This is great because it means that you know you will be studying with high achieving and small students.

A mixture of Socratic method and opportunities for practical application.

I couldn't imagine going to law school anywhere else. Great social environment. Mountains and a big city close by. I would have probably dropped out if I went somewhere else.

Essay, LSAT all the same requirements. Around 1300 ish applied for a class of 160 last year.

Classes and professors are high quality. Class sizes for 1L courses seems larger than necessary, e.g. 75% of my courses have had 60+ students.

The school is pretty expensive, but the facilities are excellent. The community is generally safe, but also very expensive.

LSAT and GPA seem to be the most important thing.

It is a smaller law school, so the faculty is pretty available to everyone and class sizes aren't too large. The environment is more collaborative than competitive, which I like. They always offer classes taught by judges. Next semester I will be taught be a judge from the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals and a judge from the Colorado Supreme Court. The class is small enough that you have the opportunity to do almost everything that you want to (journal, moot court, mock trial.)

Boulder is awesome, especially for those who like the outdoors. There is hiking, climbing, snowboarding close by. It is a little expensive. But, it is a beautiful town with great people.

The classes vary considerably by professor. The sizes tend to run large, but professors manage to make the Socratic method work even in large classes. Most professors emphasize theory in their classes. Unfortunately the academic advising is somewhat lacking - there's no good advisor system. The students are really friendly and most are quite helpful. There's competition, but it's not at all cutthroat.

Boulder is a wonderful place to live. There's a lot of sunshine and plenty to do outside to take your mind off law school. The law building is brand new and the library is fantastic! The location is the number one reason to come here.

It's fairly standard. You have to take the LSAT, fill out the application on the LSAC website, write a personal essay. The financial aid and scholarships have been pretty great.

no professors are mean and scary. some use socratic method, but its a good teaching method! they dont do it to intimidate you. class sizes are good. people arent very competitive, you can ask anyone for notes if you miss a day of class! love cu!

law school is new and awesome. boulder is a great city, though it is expensive. people at the school have a good balance of work and play.

good chance of getting scholarships!

Faculty are top notch (it's not hard to attract national caliber faculty to Colorado), with renowned experts in natural resources and water law, indian law, venture capital and entrepreneurship, and telecom/energy, among others. Class sizes are very reasonable (most under 30), and faculty are skilled and accessible. Most use a modified Socratic method with cold calls. Students work hard, but the atmosphere is remarkably collegial. For students who aspire to be at the top of their class, the workload is heavy.

I love it here. The academics are rigorous, but students both work and play hard. Housing starts at around $500/month for shared apartments. The new law building is excellent - a great resource and a nice place to work. Students (and faculty) come to Colorado because they want a balance - serious study and great quality of life. It doesn't hurt to have the foothills at our doorstep, skiing within 30 minutes (larger mtns 1.5 hrs), and a vibrant town (Boulder has 100,000 people; Denver is 1/2 hour away with no traffic).

The admissions process prioritizes on-campus visits, as it's hard to communicate the feel of the school otherwise. One personal anecdote - I emailed 12 professors cold when I was considering attending. Every single one responded and most suggested that we set up a phone call. I did not receive this response at most other schools that I considered.

Colorado Law has increased scholarship opportunities significantly under our current Dean. Tuition is still very reasonable compared to most private law schools; however, it has been rising due to decreased funding from the state. We shouldn't see much in additional cuts (as the state contribution has approximately bottomed out).