University of California, Los Angeles School of Law

“great environment”
December 2017FORMER STUDENT

It's made up of fun social supportive people, who are all driven.

Sometimes it's hard to get into the smaller, more in-demand classes.

Comments

OCI is a great experience for the top 1/3 of the class.

“Great school”
September 2015CURRENT STUDENT

The professors are excellent and really have your best interests at heart

The lawyering skills class is not pass/ fail and the graded memo in the second semester is inconsistent

Comments

Trying to employ more cutting edge programs and pilot programs which is very good

“UCLA Law”
May 2015CURRENT STUDENT

Good job prospects (especially for the LA market) thanks to the school's strong reputation.

First year classes are big and it's possible to "get lost in the crowd."

Comments

If you plan on staying in Los Angeles after graduation there is no better law school.

Superb, engaged faculty, top to bottom.

Extremely collegial atmosphere, which is fostered by faculty and staff in the midst of a robust extremely rigorous academic agenda

more theoretical than practical. many teachers use socratic method. 1st year classes are larger than 2nd and 3rd year classes. many opportuntiies for externships.

cost of living in la is expensive. westwood village is nice. safe neighborhood.

application plus lsat, etc

Classes are largely Socratic in the first year. Thereafter, the classes vary by professor. The professors are very approachable and are committed to helping the students learn. Classes are graded on a curve.

The facilities are excellent. You need to have a car if you want to get out of Westwood.

The entire 1L class is split into sections of about 35 people each. Two 1L classes combine two sections, one class is with just your section, and Lawyering Skills (research and writing class) is about half of your section. The classes aren't strictly Socratic method, and my classes are competitive enough that I'm always making sure to keep up with everyone else, but the atmosphere here definitely isn't competitive between students. Everyone in my class is very supportive and helpful, and we are frequently in study groups.

I think our grading curve is just about in the middle (not too forgiving, but not too harsh either)

The academic advising here is fantastic. Tons of faculty to help out with tons of resources.

Cost of living is similar to other big cities, but you can do it for cheap. For on campus housing right now, I'm paying $1100. I plan on paying $675 next year for housing that's a 1 minute drive south. Anything close to campus will be very expensive and probably surrounded by undergrads.

The UCLA housing is very nice and I highly recommend living in Weyburn Terrace your 1L year if you like to be more social.

We have a lot of fun here though, many people go out 2-3 times a week even during the more busy points in the semester.

I feel very safe walking around campus, even at night. Westwood (where UCLA is) is very isolated from the more run-down, dangerous places in LA. We're close to Beverly Hills, Hollywood, and Santa Monica too.

The facilities here are nice. I thought they looked a little older than other private schools I visited, but once I got here it felt comfortable and I don't notice anymore.

Admissions process was pretty straight forward, more simple application than others. Great scholarship opportunities here, I got funding based on merit, need, and a departmental scholarship that I didn't even know about when applying.

Interactive, unintimidating.

Professorial style at UCLA is quite varied; it really depends on the particular professor you have. Some are hard core cold-callers; others wait for volunteers; I had one professor who just called on people in alphabetical order. Most of them prefer the Socratic method, but also take time to lecture on points that are particularly esoteric or complicated. Whatever their style, they are some of the friendliest, genuinely caring teachers I have ever had. They always encourage e-mails, office visits, and questions if you don't understand the material. And they also take the time to interact on a personal level; I've had many professors take groups of students out to lunch or dinner, and several have even hosted end-of-the-semester parties at their homes. There are even 1-unit courses called "Perspectives" classes that some professors teach; these courses are meant to be a low-stress (there are no papers or tests), small (10 students), fun (the topics range from the TV show "The Wire" to Comic Books) means of engaging professors in a more relaxed setting.

Student body wise, there is little competitiveness amongst UCLA students. The records office doesn't release your class rank (EVER), so while there is still a forced curve, not knowing your rank takes away a lot of the pressure. Students eagerly share notes from class with those who missed. Nobody hides books in the library; in fact, people actually mark off the section in the books their classmates will need that contains the answer to the problem.

The quality of classes and seminars was exceptional. The teachers are brilliant yet accessible and supportive. Some used the Socratic method, but many didn't. The students are ambitious and competitive, but by and large welcoming and friendly. The coursework was challenging and workload rigorous, but not overwhelming. I loved every moment at the school.

Great facility, fine, spacious library, beautiful campus, terrific location in Westwood, near the beach, lots of people live in Brentwood or Santa Monica. I lived in Ocean Park near the beach, a short bus rid from campus.

The process is described in detail on the user-friendly web site.