University of California, Los Angeles School of Law

“great environment”
December 2017FORMER STUDENT

It's made up of fun social supportive people, who are all driven.

Sometimes it's hard to get into the smaller, more in-demand classes.

Comments

OCI is a great experience for the top 1/3 of the class.

“Great school”
September 2015CURRENT STUDENT

The professors are excellent and really have your best interests at heart

The lawyering skills class is not pass/ fail and the graded memo in the second semester is inconsistent

Comments

Trying to employ more cutting edge programs and pilot programs which is very good

“Really Solid Experience”
August 2015FORMER STUDENT

Nice facilities; smart people; great location in Los Angeles; really smart and talented professors; lots of great class offerings

Pathetic food options for law students (i.e., near law school); difficult social life because students are dispersed throughout LA; people are kind of friendly, but I didn't make very many friends as a transfer here

Comments

Great law school to go, especially if you're looking for a big law job. Really comfortable lifestyle, but there isn't a ton of dedication to academics by upper classmen here.

“Good, but could be better”
August 2015CURRENT STUDENT

Range of opportunities, course offerings, some amazing professors, unbeatable location

The school seems to force us to have a balanced schedule of good professors and bad, meaning if you happen to register for all good professors you probably won't get to keep them all.

Comments

Keep the cost of financing in mind, be sure that UCLA is where you want to go.

“UCLA Law”
May 2015CURRENT STUDENT

Good job prospects (especially for the LA market) thanks to the school's strong reputation.

First year classes are big and it's possible to "get lost in the crowd."

Comments

If you plan on staying in Los Angeles after graduation there is no better law school.

Interactive, unintimidating.

Superb, engaged faculty, top to bottom.

Extremely collegial atmosphere, which is fostered by faculty and staff in the midst of a robust extremely rigorous academic agenda

The quality of classes and seminars was exceptional. The teachers are brilliant yet accessible and supportive. Some used the Socratic method, but many didn't. The students are ambitious and competitive, but by and large welcoming and friendly. The coursework was challenging and workload rigorous, but not overwhelming. I loved every moment at the school.

Great facility, fine, spacious library, beautiful campus, terrific location in Westwood, near the beach, lots of people live in Brentwood or Santa Monica. I lived in Ocean Park near the beach, a short bus rid from campus.

The process is described in detail on the user-friendly web site.

Professorial style at UCLA is quite varied; it really depends on the particular professor you have. Some are hard core cold-callers; others wait for volunteers; I had one professor who just called on people in alphabetical order. Most of them prefer the Socratic method, but also take time to lecture on points that are particularly esoteric or complicated. Whatever their style, they are some of the friendliest, genuinely caring teachers I have ever had. They always encourage e-mails, office visits, and questions if you don't understand the material. And they also take the time to interact on a personal level; I've had many professors take groups of students out to lunch or dinner, and several have even hosted end-of-the-semester parties at their homes. There are even 1-unit courses called "Perspectives" classes that some professors teach; these courses are meant to be a low-stress (there are no papers or tests), small (10 students), fun (the topics range from the TV show "The Wire" to Comic Books) means of engaging professors in a more relaxed setting.

Student body wise, there is little competitiveness amongst UCLA students. The records office doesn't release your class rank (EVER), so while there is still a forced curve, not knowing your rank takes away a lot of the pressure. Students eagerly share notes from class with those who missed. Nobody hides books in the library; in fact, people actually mark off the section in the books their classmates will need that contains the answer to the problem.

UCLA has one of the best clinical programs in the country. Students work on real Supreme Court and Ninth Circuit cases under the supervision of attorneys. For example, in my clinic, I wrote a brief and made an oral argument before the Ninth Circuit to bring back a man wrongfully deported from the United States. In several other clinics, students work on real contracts for small businesses, administrative cases to obtain government benefits for disadvantaged clients, or dispute resolutions for a variety of parties.

In the non-clinical classes, the professors are both important names in their field (e.g. Mark Grady) but also committed to teaching students how to think like lawyers without hiding the ball (there's little use of the Socratic method here). Because an unusual amount of professors have real-world experience, they include more relevant and cutting-edge issues. I remember, for example, a tenant who came to one of our clinics to learn what recourse he had to fix his slum housing. Having just studied landlord-tenant law in property, I was only too happy to tell my supervising attorney all about implied warranty of habitability and when the landlord’s responsibility for a substantial defect was triggered.

I can't think of a better place to study than on the beaches of sunny Southern California. Campus housing was the nicest, most spacious apartment I've ever lived (much of it was built in the past few years, so it's wheel-chair accessible and clean). No crime concerns and affordable, hip communities within commutable distance (30 mins).

UCLA requires a unique essay, LSAT, and general application form. In addition, the more exclusive pubic interest program (acceptance rate into the program is about 10%) requires an additional essay demonstrating commitment to public service, detailed resume of public service jobs/interships (including hours worked), and references.