“Good Regional Prospects”
April 2019FORMER STUDENT

Friendly school and good regional job placement. Will take you as far as anywhere in upstate New York.

Out of law school it is harder to find top of market jobs in larger cities.

Comments

Consider job prospects that you require. If you are from upstate or want to live in upstate, save money and go here. If you want NYC biglaw out of law school, there are better options.

The classes are excellent, and the faculty are top-notch. Not only are they all well known in their respective fields, but they are extremely accessible, and many go out of their way to get to know students on a personal level. I had the opportunity to work with two professors as a research assistant, and estimate that to be among the most meaningful academic experiences I had at UB. Despite the fact that UB is a good school, and competitive students attend, it is not a zero sum game. There are no missing books in the library, and that cutthroat quality simply is not there. There are many opportunities to get experience in practice, between the externship programs and the many alumni interested in employing UB students during the school year and summer months.

Great housing opportunities for law students, with access to Westlaw and LexisNexis printers in the housing areas.

We were asked to submit a personal statement as well as a separate essay about the past two non-school related books we had read. Everything else was handled per the LSDAS system.

2005

Good class size, much one on one, great advising, many opportunities to distinguish yourself.

Excellent - great, safe low cost housing available in good neighborhoods. Great moot coot program, library was fantastic, excellently staffed.

It was a combination of LSAT, grade point average and looking for unique and talented individuals who would bring something special to the school.

2004 or earlier

By far, the best part of the academics at UB is the quality of the faculty. I have amazing professors. They are excellent educators and extremely talented and accomplished in their own right. Theory is always a core component of lectures however it is only a prelude to the understanding of the practical application of the law. We are taught from the onset that we are at school to become lawyers.

First year class sizes are about 70 students or so. The Legal, Research and Writing classes are smaller (about 15 students). Legal, Research and Writing is a two semester course. UB is unique in that it has a bridge period where students can take non-traditional or additional classes in the intermediary period between Fall and Spring Semester. Many of the classes include practical skills used in litigation (such as jury selection, etc.). First year legal research and writing begins in the bridge term so that the class ends before finals.

One of the special features of UB is our clinical programs. To name a few Community Economic Development, Affordable Housing, Elder Law, etc. These clinics provide hands on experience for students and are highly esteemed in the community.

The cost of living is extremely low and ideal for student living. The campus is nice and spacious; ideal for someone like me who enjoys the outdoors. It is located in the suburbs - downtown Buffalo is about 20 minutes away by car. We have a lot of great restaurants and cute boutiques. Overall the law school is pretty nice. Our library is gorgeous and our courtroom is really nice too - very authentic.

The application process is centered around obtaining a student who is truly of good character and has displayed academic excellence. UB Law prides itself on having a certain type of student body so the personal essay is of extreme importance. As of now, students with a 160 on the LSAT and a 3.5 GPA have a good chance of obtaining entrance into UB; but students who have demonstrated excellence in other areas that don't necessarily have 'the scores' also have an opportunity.

I addition to the paper application, I also met with the Dean of Admissions

2004 or earlier

The classes were high quality, with a lot of emphasis on practical study.

cost of living is very good, excellent library and facilities. There is an actual workig courtroom at the school.

LSAT and essays

2004 or earlier

Supportive environment. Limited Socratic method. Collaborative atmosphere.

Cost of living in Buffalo is very reasonable. Facilities are good. City is manageable

2004 or earlier

UB Law is part of the University at Buffalo's Amherst campus, so it has all the amenities of a big undergraduate institution. Amherst is consistently ranked as one of the safest towns in the U.S. I had a wonderful time at UB, there is a lot of culture in downtown Buffalo and you cannot beat the cost of living.

UB has a similar application process to most schools, but when I applied (2003), they asked for two essays to weed out students not very interested.

2006

UB has a great balance of classes. There are many classes that focus on theory, while others on practical study. Some of my first year classes used Socratic method, while other professors would warn students when they would be on call. The class sizes max out at 90 so it wasn't too daunting. Many of the seminars are smaller classes (lower than 25 students) which is great because it allows for more discussion. I came to UB because of the lack of competitiveness. The students here are much more likely to give you an outline rather than hiding one from you or answering a question wrong so that you will get it wrong later. I also choose UB for its clinical programs; these allow hands-on experience with actual clients, which is something that many law students cannot claim to have experience in. The faculty is extremely intelligent and easily approached.

The cost of living and dining is pretty low, which is great for law students. The campus is easily accessed and the library and computer labs are being constantly changed to be more amenable to law students. The courtroom is beautiful. When I was on my first tour of the school, I saw myself arguing in that courtroom, plus local courts sometimes use it for their proceedings. The campus is pretty safe.

Complete an application thru LSAC which included the LSAT, general questions about myself and my family, an essay regarding my interest in law school, transcript, resume, and recommendations from professors or other professionals. Financial aid was completed through a FAFSA submission.

Offers both theory and practical study through small classes and very accessible professors.

Cost of living is fantastic! Beautiful on campus housing, practically new apartments with ample parking. The campus is safe, friendly and clean.

2005