“Difficult to Get Letters of Recommendation After the Fact--Avoid Oliver Houck!!”
October 2018FORMER STUDENT

Tulane has relatively benign professors. It had very good faculty in Criminal and Constitutional Law.

When I attended Tulane I started an environmental law project, which I brought to Oliver Houck after a year. I actually served a year on a Supreme Court Committee for that issue, before I graduated.

When I asked Houck for a recommendation after the fact, instead of writing me a letter that talked about initiative, leadership, vision, hard work, and all the things that led a 2L to be appointed to a Supreme Court committee on an environmental issue--Houck said, "I don't know, you're not giving me much. I can't give you a letter of recommendation." I honestly think that he either wasn't aware of my service on the committee, forgot it was my project and my issue, or just flat-out didn't remember me at all.

Comments

It can be very isolating to go to Tulane as someone who is not from a wealthy family. For a short period of time after law school I was actually homeless, and during that time, my best friend--who was from a wealthy New York City family--got married. I couldn't attend, and I think I didn't even get the RSVP back in the mail, because I got the invite late. She's never spoken to me again, I think assuming that I was being rude, not that I didn't have family help after law school. (She's a librarian at the Supreme Court, if you want to look her up.)

Also, in that same vein, Tulane can make it very difficult to pass the bar, because they cannot teach to the test. I have encountered more than one other Tulane Law grad that clearly had to take the Bar more than once, in very difficult circumstances.

“Could be better”
November 2017CURRENT STUDENT

New Orleans firms recruit from Tulane, certain professors are excellent

IP program needs new professor, the current one is a train wreck. More law firms should come to OCI. Our ranking keeps slipping, very embarrassing.

Comments

It could be tough to find a job. It may not be worth it to attend here unless you get a large scholarship, given the employment outcomes of most students.

“Great school, not-so-great city”
January 2016FORMER STUDENT

Smaller class sizes; helpful professors; great law library; good name recognition outside of New Orleans

New Orleans; diminished rankings; high tuition; impractical (although newer) facilities

Comments

Look at placement in jobs requiring a law degree and survey salaries.

“Good school with better management”
April 2015CURRENT STUDENT

I really like the New dean and increase in practical class work

Really need to think about and root out bad professors

Comments

you need to study hard to make it into the new york market.

The Socratic method is dead. The professors are great, and have a lot of practical experience. They are also very accessible. The study abroad is amazing. I am studying with a Supreme Court justice in Cambridge this summer.

The cost of living around campus is manageable. The community is geared towards the students here. New Orleans is a great place to live, and though we have crime in certain areas of the city, uptown is safe.

The LSAT was similar to most standardized testing, except with a particular emphasis on logic. Tulane is great with scholarship offers. Most people here receive significant financial aid.

Scholarship application is automatic with admission application.

Tulane gives a number of merit-based scholarships.

LSAT

Following the first semester, the Socratic method is used less, but is still used in some classes.

Most of the classes are more practical than theory in the first year, however, after your first year there is a plethora of choices in both areas of study, so if you have a focus in one direction you can easily obtain a well-rounded education in either, or create a balance of both.

My first semester was nothing but the best quality of classes and professors and I was very lucky. Second semester was not as lucky, but more due to the fact that I had professors that were new to the school. They were not lacking in quality as much as comfort in their subject matter (one teacher hadn't taught the subject in years) and comfort with the class.

Great study abroad programs, which are easy to coordinate and factor into your GPA, which is great. There are a ton of options that run throughout various parts of the summer, making it very easy to coordinate at least one (if not more) of the programs and jobs.

Academic Advising is amazing, as is the financial aid.

Cost of living in New Orleans is amazing for a student, it is incredibly affordable and enables you to live comfortably without breaking the bank. Overall happiness here is pretty high, given that it is law school and it is pretty hard to be happy in general when you spend 90% of your time in the library, but I like it. My biggest complaint is the dining, but given the size of the school the number of options is reasonable, just not preferred. Crime has been a problem for some, but never for me and I have lived in New Orleans and been a Tulane student for 5+ years. I always feel safe, but that doesn't mean that there is no crime. Just like any other city you have to be careful and smart about where you are going and when.

The admissions process was pretty standard, but I will say that the financial aid office was phenomenally helpful when I decided to attend Tulane. They walked me through the entire process of funding this big investment and are incredibly helpful, informative, and patient throughout it all.

Quality of classes is generally good. Good balance of theory and practical instruction in classes - which I think is fairly unique in law school. First year courses are strongly Socratic, but that loosens up for the remainder of school. Class sizes are generally pretty small for 2L and 3L year. While the school is competitive, it is more in the sense that everyone wants to personally succeed, not tear anyone else down. Grading is on a B curve, but some faculty are pushing to change the curve to a B+ curve, which would be great for students.

Qualify of life in New Orleans is fantastic. Cost of living is relatively low for a city, the campus and facilities are nice. There are many great neighborhoods near Tulane. Even though New Orleans can be a little unsafe from time to time, Tulane is generally far and away from that activity.

Seems to be a balance of LSAT/GPA that is the main determinant of admission at Tulane. However, I feel unlike most law schools, Tulane is looking for unique applicants to admit as well and while the numbers are a strong factor, they are willing to take some risks for an interesting applicant.