“Difficult to Get Letters of Recommendation After the Fact--Avoid Oliver Houck!!”
October 2018FORMER STUDENT

Tulane has relatively benign professors. It had very good faculty in Criminal and Constitutional Law.

When I attended Tulane I started an environmental law project, which I brought to Oliver Houck after a year. I actually served a year on a Supreme Court Committee for that issue, before I graduated.

When I asked Houck for a recommendation after the fact, instead of writing me a letter that talked about initiative, leadership, vision, hard work, and all the things that led a 2L to be appointed to a Supreme Court committee on an environmental issue--Houck said, "I don't know, you're not giving me much. I can't give you a letter of recommendation." I honestly think that he either wasn't aware of my service on the committee, forgot it was my project and my issue, or just flat-out didn't remember me at all.

Comments

It can be very isolating to go to Tulane as someone who is not from a wealthy family. For a short period of time after law school I was actually homeless, and during that time, my best friend--who was from a wealthy New York City family--got married. I couldn't attend, and I think I didn't even get the RSVP back in the mail, because I got the invite late. She's never spoken to me again, I think assuming that I was being rude, not that I didn't have family help after law school. (She's a librarian at the Supreme Court, if you want to look her up.)

Also, in that same vein, Tulane can make it very difficult to pass the bar, because they cannot teach to the test. I have encountered more than one other Tulane Law grad that clearly had to take the Bar more than once, in very difficult circumstances.

“Could be better”
November 2017CURRENT STUDENT

New Orleans firms recruit from Tulane, certain professors are excellent

IP program needs new professor, the current one is a train wreck. More law firms should come to OCI. Our ranking keeps slipping, very embarrassing.

Comments

It could be tough to find a job. It may not be worth it to attend here unless you get a large scholarship, given the employment outcomes of most students.

“Great school, not-so-great city”
January 2016FORMER STUDENT

Smaller class sizes; helpful professors; great law library; good name recognition outside of New Orleans

New Orleans; diminished rankings; high tuition; impractical (although newer) facilities

Comments

Look at placement in jobs requiring a law degree and survey salaries.

“Good school with better management”
April 2015CURRENT STUDENT

I really like the New dean and increase in practical class work

Really need to think about and root out bad professors

Comments

you need to study hard to make it into the new york market.

LSAT

Tulane gives a number of merit-based scholarships.

The Socratic method is dead. The professors are great, and have a lot of practical experience. They are also very accessible. The study abroad is amazing. I am studying with a Supreme Court justice in Cambridge this summer.

The cost of living around campus is manageable. The community is geared towards the students here. New Orleans is a great place to live, and though we have crime in certain areas of the city, uptown is safe.

The LSAT was similar to most standardized testing, except with a particular emphasis on logic. Tulane is great with scholarship offers. Most people here receive significant financial aid.

Scholarship application is automatic with admission application.

LSAT, Apply through the LSAC/LSDAS process. Scholarship opportunities are based on your application, and are offered with your acceptance. If you receive a merit scholarship, you are not eligible for need-based scholarships. Requires essays through LSAC -- personal statement. Also allows for optional essays including a diversity statement

I've been extremely pleased with the quality of the professors. They are extremely intelligent, well prepared, accessible outside of class, and devoted to their jobs. I have never attended another law school, so it to make comparative assessments. On the other hand, one of Tulane's regular professors died suddenly and was replaced by a visiting professor from a nearby law school. The difference in quality of instruction was STRIKING. It really made me appreciate both how good Tulane Professors are, and what a difference it makes when trying to learn the material. I think the quality of instructors is one of Tulane's central high-points.

I think Tulane has an exceptional quality of life. Housing is inexpensive in New Orleans. The city is culturally rich and extremely relaxed. You appreciate this in law school where the stress and tension are abundant. Being in a relaxed city helps those who are sensitive to these things keep proper perspective. The law school shares some of the character of the city - it is relaxed and "real" in a sense I can't describe. It is a law school, so it is a rigorous, hyper-organized, and driven environment. At the same time, it seems less dehumanizing than most law schools. Although students work hard, the atmosphere is not toxically competitive. Students will share notes and genuinely wish each other the best. There isn't the sense that one's success will come at the expense of one another. This is priceless.

Typical process.