“Great school, not-so-great city”
January 2016FORMER STUDENT

Smaller class sizes; helpful professors; great law library; good name recognition outside of New Orleans

New Orleans; diminished rankings; high tuition; impractical (although newer) facilities

Comments

Look at placement in jobs requiring a law degree and survey salaries.

“Good school with better management”
April 2015CURRENT STUDENT

I really like the New dean and increase in practical class work

Really need to think about and root out bad professors

Comments

you need to study hard to make it into the new york market.

Scholarship application is automatic with admission application.

Tulane gives a number of merit-based scholarships.

LSAT

I've been extremely pleased with the quality of the professors. They are extremely intelligent, well prepared, accessible outside of class, and devoted to their jobs. I have never attended another law school, so it to make comparative assessments. On the other hand, one of Tulane's regular professors died suddenly and was replaced by a visiting professor from a nearby law school. The difference in quality of instruction was STRIKING. It really made me appreciate both how good Tulane Professors are, and what a difference it makes when trying to learn the material. I think the quality of instructors is one of Tulane's central high-points.

I think Tulane has an exceptional quality of life. Housing is inexpensive in New Orleans. The city is culturally rich and extremely relaxed. You appreciate this in law school where the stress and tension are abundant. Being in a relaxed city helps those who are sensitive to these things keep proper perspective. The law school shares some of the character of the city - it is relaxed and "real" in a sense I can't describe. It is a law school, so it is a rigorous, hyper-organized, and driven environment. At the same time, it seems less dehumanizing than most law schools. Although students work hard, the atmosphere is not toxically competitive. Students will share notes and genuinely wish each other the best. There isn't the sense that one's success will come at the expense of one another. This is priceless.

Typical process.

relatively standard application process; one needs two recomendations, a short personal essay, LSAT

the school offers many generous scholarships

Can be a hit or miss but once your find the right professors you'll be set. They have professors for just about anybody. The school doesn't have a competitive atmosphere at all, my undergrad years were more competitive. The grading curze can be a disaster at times and many students tend to try to take as many seminar classes as possible.

Things can be expensive but administration typically makes things easier. Crime isn't as bad as people make it out to be here. The on campus dining is great for a college, there's even a restaurant on campus open until 4 a.m.

Unique app questions, pretty thorough essay requirement, process was easy because of help from the admissions office.

Following the first semester, the Socratic method is used less, but is still used in some classes.

Most of the classes are more practical than theory in the first year, however, after your first year there is a plethora of choices in both areas of study, so if you have a focus in one direction you can easily obtain a well-rounded education in either, or create a balance of both.

My first semester was nothing but the best quality of classes and professors and I was very lucky. Second semester was not as lucky, but more due to the fact that I had professors that were new to the school. They were not lacking in quality as much as comfort in their subject matter (one teacher hadn't taught the subject in years) and comfort with the class.

Great study abroad programs, which are easy to coordinate and factor into your GPA, which is great. There are a ton of options that run throughout various parts of the summer, making it very easy to coordinate at least one (if not more) of the programs and jobs.

Academic Advising is amazing, as is the financial aid.

Cost of living in New Orleans is amazing for a student, it is incredibly affordable and enables you to live comfortably without breaking the bank. Overall happiness here is pretty high, given that it is law school and it is pretty hard to be happy in general when you spend 90% of your time in the library, but I like it. My biggest complaint is the dining, but given the size of the school the number of options is reasonable, just not preferred. Crime has been a problem for some, but never for me and I have lived in New Orleans and been a Tulane student for 5+ years. I always feel safe, but that doesn't mean that there is no crime. Just like any other city you have to be careful and smart about where you are going and when.

The admissions process was pretty standard, but I will say that the financial aid office was phenomenally helpful when I decided to attend Tulane. They walked me through the entire process of funding this big investment and are incredibly helpful, informative, and patient throughout it all.

Class size could be a lot smaller- I believe the large classes were due to an unexpected increase in the number of students who accepted accepted Tulane. The professors have a variety of teaching methods with some using a scared-straight socratic method and others accepting a "pass" when unprepared.

The quality of life is sound-- cheap housing and most of it is recently renovated with plenty of options right near campus. I feel safe walking my dog at night. Our library isn't the best but no real complaints; most would appreciate some simple renovations. Also, the school seems to only really help mac users but encourages against the use of them. However, more than the majority of students use a Mac for computing. Some new macs in the computer labs would be great and an understanding that there has been a shift in the chosen computer brand name. As for dining, it really doesn't get any better--I almost feel bad going to the same place twice just because there is SO much great food to choose from.

I thought the application process was pretty generic. Nothing in particular stands out; I do know that I applied VERY early and heard back early