“Could be better”
November 2017CURRENT STUDENT

New Orleans firms recruit from Tulane, certain professors are excellent

IP program needs new professor, the current one is a train wreck. More law firms should come to OCI. Our ranking keeps slipping, very embarrassing.

Comments

It could be tough to find a job. It may not be worth it to attend here unless you get a large scholarship, given the employment outcomes of most students.

Cost of living is lower than most cities; facilities are decent, but could be better maintained; neighborhood and community relations are very unique and close knit; unlike many other cities. Crime is consistent with any city; general law campus community is more friendly than competitive which makes happiness much better.

some professors use the Socratic method mixed with lecture. Class sizes are usually 70-90 people. Students are not competitive at all.

standard application form-no really unique questions.

Classes vary on a professor-by-professor basis. In some classes, I suspect the level of education compares to that at top schools. In other classes, I feel myself counting how much money I've wasted by taking the class. The vast majority of classes fall somewhere in between.

It was so long ago that I barely remember it. The admissions team was very warm and responsive to any questions I had. This had a strong influence on my decision to attend.

There are a few areas where Tulane excels, such as Environmental and Maritime Law, but many other areas of study are woefully underdeveloped. If you want advanced coursework in, for instance, Health Law, Employee Compensation, or Trusts & Estates, you are completely out of luck here. And if you want advanced coursework in Taxation, expect your professor to be an unpaid adjunct. The Tax professor with the most seniority just left, and the only current full-time Tax faculty member is in her first year of teaching.

The practical skills offerings focus almost exclusively on litigation strategies (such as clinics or Trial Ad courses). There are few to no purely transactional practical skills courses offered, although there are numerous seminars and journals with substantial academic legal writing requirements.

The usual: LSAT, LSAC, personal statement, letters of rec., etc.

Some very good professors, and some very poor professors.

Lack of general academic spark, but there are engaging opportunities if you seek them out.

Very good quality of life.

Personal statement, LSAC report, transcript.