“Difficult to Get Letters of Recommendation After the Fact--Avoid Oliver Houck!!”
October 2018FORMER STUDENT

Tulane has relatively benign professors. It had very good faculty in Criminal and Constitutional Law.

When I attended Tulane I started an environmental law project, which I brought to Oliver Houck after a year. I actually served a year on a Supreme Court Committee for that issue, before I graduated.

When I asked Houck for a recommendation after the fact, instead of writing me a letter that talked about initiative, leadership, vision, hard work, and all the things that led a 2L to be appointed to a Supreme Court committee on an environmental issue--Houck said, "I don't know, you're not giving me much. I can't give you a letter of recommendation." I honestly think that he either wasn't aware of my service on the committee, forgot it was my project and my issue, or just flat-out didn't remember me at all.

Comments

It can be very isolating to go to Tulane as someone who is not from a wealthy family. For a short period of time after law school I was actually homeless, and during that time, my best friend--who was from a wealthy New York City family--got married. I couldn't attend, and I think I didn't even get the RSVP back in the mail, because I got the invite late. She's never spoken to me again, I think assuming that I was being rude, not that I didn't have family help after law school. (She's a librarian at the Supreme Court, if you want to look her up.)

Also, in that same vein, Tulane can make it very difficult to pass the bar, because they cannot teach to the test. I have encountered more than one other Tulane Law grad that clearly had to take the Bar more than once, in very difficult circumstances.

“Could be better”
November 2017CURRENT STUDENT

New Orleans firms recruit from Tulane, certain professors are excellent

IP program needs new professor, the current one is a train wreck. More law firms should come to OCI. Our ranking keeps slipping, very embarrassing.

Comments

It could be tough to find a job. It may not be worth it to attend here unless you get a large scholarship, given the employment outcomes of most students.

“Great school, not-so-great city”
January 2016FORMER STUDENT

Smaller class sizes; helpful professors; great law library; good name recognition outside of New Orleans

New Orleans; diminished rankings; high tuition; impractical (although newer) facilities

Comments

Look at placement in jobs requiring a law degree and survey salaries.

“Good school with better management”
April 2015CURRENT STUDENT

I really like the New dean and increase in practical class work

Really need to think about and root out bad professors

Comments

you need to study hard to make it into the new york market.

LSAT

Scholarship application is automatic with admission application.

Tulane gives a number of merit-based scholarships.

The Socratic method is dead. The professors are great, and have a lot of practical experience. They are also very accessible. The study abroad is amazing. I am studying with a Supreme Court justice in Cambridge this summer.

The cost of living around campus is manageable. The community is geared towards the students here. New Orleans is a great place to live, and though we have crime in certain areas of the city, uptown is safe.

The LSAT was similar to most standardized testing, except with a particular emphasis on logic. Tulane is great with scholarship offers. Most people here receive significant financial aid.

LSAT, Apply through the LSAC/LSDAS process. Scholarship opportunities are based on your application, and are offered with your acceptance. If you receive a merit scholarship, you are not eligible for need-based scholarships. Requires essays through LSAC -- personal statement. Also allows for optional essays including a diversity statement

Quality of classes is generally good. Good balance of theory and practical instruction in classes - which I think is fairly unique in law school. First year courses are strongly Socratic, but that loosens up for the remainder of school. Class sizes are generally pretty small for 2L and 3L year. While the school is competitive, it is more in the sense that everyone wants to personally succeed, not tear anyone else down. Grading is on a B curve, but some faculty are pushing to change the curve to a B+ curve, which would be great for students.

Qualify of life in New Orleans is fantastic. Cost of living is relatively low for a city, the campus and facilities are nice. There are many great neighborhoods near Tulane. Even though New Orleans can be a little unsafe from time to time, Tulane is generally far and away from that activity.

Seems to be a balance of LSAT/GPA that is the main determinant of admission at Tulane. However, I feel unlike most law schools, Tulane is looking for unique applicants to admit as well and while the numbers are a strong factor, they are willing to take some risks for an interesting applicant.