“Difficult to Get Letters of Recommendation After the Fact--Avoid Oliver Houck!!”
October 2018FORMER STUDENT

Tulane has relatively benign professors. It had very good faculty in Criminal and Constitutional Law.

When I attended Tulane I started an environmental law project, which I brought to Oliver Houck after a year. I actually served a year on a Supreme Court Committee for that issue, before I graduated.

When I asked Houck for a recommendation after the fact, instead of writing me a letter that talked about initiative, leadership, vision, hard work, and all the things that led a 2L to be appointed to a Supreme Court committee on an environmental issue--Houck said, "I don't know, you're not giving me much. I can't give you a letter of recommendation." I honestly think that he either wasn't aware of my service on the committee, forgot it was my project and my issue, or just flat-out didn't remember me at all.

Comments

It can be very isolating to go to Tulane as someone who is not from a wealthy family. For a short period of time after law school I was actually homeless, and during that time, my best friend--who was from a wealthy New York City family--got married. I couldn't attend, and I think I didn't even get the RSVP back in the mail, because I got the invite late. She's never spoken to me again, I think assuming that I was being rude, not that I didn't have family help after law school. (She's a librarian at the Supreme Court, if you want to look her up.)

Also, in that same vein, Tulane can make it very difficult to pass the bar, because they cannot teach to the test. I have encountered more than one other Tulane Law grad that clearly had to take the Bar more than once, in very difficult circumstances.

“Could be better”
November 2017CURRENT STUDENT

New Orleans firms recruit from Tulane, certain professors are excellent

IP program needs new professor, the current one is a train wreck. More law firms should come to OCI. Our ranking keeps slipping, very embarrassing.

Comments

It could be tough to find a job. It may not be worth it to attend here unless you get a large scholarship, given the employment outcomes of most students.

“Great school, not-so-great city”
January 2016FORMER STUDENT

Smaller class sizes; helpful professors; great law library; good name recognition outside of New Orleans

New Orleans; diminished rankings; high tuition; impractical (although newer) facilities

Comments

Look at placement in jobs requiring a law degree and survey salaries.

“Good school with better management”
April 2015CURRENT STUDENT

I really like the New dean and increase in practical class work

Really need to think about and root out bad professors

Comments

you need to study hard to make it into the new york market.

The Socratic method is dead. The professors are great, and have a lot of practical experience. They are also very accessible. The study abroad is amazing. I am studying with a Supreme Court justice in Cambridge this summer.

The cost of living around campus is manageable. The community is geared towards the students here. New Orleans is a great place to live, and though we have crime in certain areas of the city, uptown is safe.

The LSAT was similar to most standardized testing, except with a particular emphasis on logic. Tulane is great with scholarship offers. Most people here receive significant financial aid.

Scholarship application is automatic with admission application.

Tulane gives a number of merit-based scholarships.

LSAT

Can be a hit or miss but once your find the right professors you'll be set. They have professors for just about anybody. The school doesn't have a competitive atmosphere at all, my undergrad years were more competitive. The grading curze can be a disaster at times and many students tend to try to take as many seminar classes as possible.

Things can be expensive but administration typically makes things easier. Crime isn't as bad as people make it out to be here. The on campus dining is great for a college, there's even a restaurant on campus open until 4 a.m.

Unique app questions, pretty thorough essay requirement, process was easy because of help from the admissions office.

Our faculty is outstanding. Teachers are really flexible when it comes to meeting with students and they really want to make sure that you know the material. Tulane additionally has a strong study abroad program with notable faculty. We do not have "sections" (where you have the same group of students in all your first year classes), which I think is a big plus. You get to know a diverse group of people that way.

Who would NOT want to live in New Orleans? The food, the culture, and the people are all amazing. Tulane students come from a wide variety of backgrounds, and you will find that people are more than willing to help other students out, say, if you missed a class or want to form a study group. Tulane has an amazing social life, but we also work hard. "Work hard, party hard" is most students moto. We take school seriously, but at the same time think it is important to enjoy life and NOLA.

Tulane is great about providing scholarships. Most students have some financial aid package.