“Student”
March 2019FORMER STUDENT

UNC School of Law provides a quality education in addition to a very supportive environment.

While there are a number of opportunities for legal internships in North Carolina, very hard to compete with the scope of opportunities in larger cities.

Comments

Consider the positives (e.g., cost of tuition, cost of living, ability to easily commute, quality education, supportive environment).

“Good Experience”
November 2016CURRENT STUDENT

The tuition is low and it's easy to participate in Pro bono.

Overwhelmingly liberal student body that is solely focused on putting people into service for government and non profits v. placing people in big law.

Comments

Don't rely on the Career Development Office. Take your job search in your own hands.

The professors and the career service officers are incredible. The faculty here is truly gifted and really reaches out to students. Professors are always available outside of class for questions and do a great job responding to student questions in class and conducting lectures. The best part of this school is definitely the faculty.

It's great. Very safe and lots of great places to eat. There are always fun things to do in the Triangle area!

There are unique application questions for the personal statement, rather than accepting a generic personal statement used for all other law schools.

Professors are very friendly. The Socratic Method, if used, is hardly intimidating. Classes and generally fairly laid back.

Quality of life is terrific. I wouldn't go anywhere else. It's a great college town. The athletics make for fun events. The student facilities are great. More than anything, I'm convinced that in-state tuition makes UNC the best value for law school.

I feel that if you make the time to visit the school and show your interest, this is rewarded in the application process. The admissions team makes themselves available to prospective students.

Every professor is different in teaching style and quality, but overall I am very happy with the quality of classes. I've only had one mediocre visiting professor (who is not teaching at the school next year); most other professors were amazing (ex: a former deputy white house counsel). I've also found that the Socratic method is not that scary (the professors are not trying to put you down), and the most interactive classes are where the prof calls on everyone randomly. At least the first year is graded on a curve, and it is super generous (something like 30% A's, 50% B's and 20% C's), and as far as I know only a couple people failed their first semester classes.

Chapel Hill is a relatively safe college town and most undergraduate and graduate students absolutely love it. The facilities at the school are great too, and since it on an undergrad campus, there are plenty of libraries (if you need a change) and there are several recreational facilities. The only down side is lack of parking (you cannot park on campus your first year unless you pay). However, there are buses, so many people do not drive to school.

Similar to other schools: need to submit LSAT scores, recommendations, and essays through LSAC. The only difference is that there are 3 required essays. Since the school is very selective as is, there are not many merit-based scholarship opportunities (especially now that there are funding issues).

Academics are exactly what you've heard about in law schools: your professors will either challenge you in class through the socratic method (keep you on your toes!) or they will expect you to use your own self-discipline to stay on top of the course by asking for volunteers.

Most of the 1L classes are with 85 other students, but you will have one class with only 25-30 others during your first semester. I became really close with the students in this "small section class," and the professor was able to give us a lot of individual attention and feedback, which has helped me so well in preparing for my other classes.

Also, I love the externship opportunities here: this would be the same as an internship except you're getting course credit-- like hands-on summer school.Through the school, I will be doing an externship where I am actually getting 5 course credits for a 6-week "internship" with the National Guard's JAG office (Judge Advocate General). Additionally, I was offered a public interest summer internship for the remaining 6 weeks of summer. Even better, I was able to get a summer grant through the school's Public Interest Grant program.

Cost of living is exactly what you'd expect for a good-quality-of-life college town. Affordable, with tons of discounts available for college students. You can live well on a tight budget, or spend a little bit more to enjoy the "perks" of college student life (such as spending an inordinate amount of time in coffee bars).

When I applied (for admission with the 2009 entering class), UNC had a separate set of questions for the essay part. I felt that UNC gives application a much more in-depth individualized review by really taking into account your connections to the state, your interest in serving the community, and the diversity of experience all of the students can bring to the school.

Additionally, I requested to defer for one year in order to extend my Peace Corps service, and was met with huge support from the Dean of Admissions. When I subsequently found out that I had received a scholarship, they were also able to defer my scholarship, which was more than I thought I had any right to expect.

Great. 1st year classes are a little large. But otherwise the environment is not overly competitive.

Reasonable for in-state

Lots of essay questions

High quality classes

Good theoretical foundation, but many chances for practical application -- most notably through a very robust pro bono program

Academic advising is a bit lacking, need to chart your own course

Encouraged strongly NOT to be competitive, and it works -- people really aren't too bad about it

Class size is good, though some of the core classes are very large

Almost all faculty are incredible, only a few outliers

Cost of living is unbeatable

Campus is beautiful, but usually trapped in the law school, which could use some improvements -- new building coming fairly soon?

Library is very nice

Computer labs are lacking, but it's near impossible to get by without a laptop, so doesn't really matter

Overall, very good, happy students, safe place, fantastic weather.

General personal statement

Good financial aid opportunities, but tuition is very low anyway, comparatively.

Some great professors though some of the adjunct faculty is lower quality. Strong clinical program and lots of opportunity to gain experience before graduation, including a strong pro bono program.

LSAC/LSDAS with unique application questions, LSAT, offered scholarship.

Classes are of good quality, with some bright stars and a few troublesome ones. Doctrinal classes are pretty theoretical. Socratic method is used most in 1L classes, then fades away. There isn't a lot in the way of academic advising other than the materials the school gives before registration. Class sizes are fairly large (70-100) for core classes, and can get small (12-15) for special topics, writing seminars, etc. Lots of research opportunities with faculty. Friendly competitive atmosphere -- students push themselves, but not others. Graded on what is essentially a B+ curve, that inches up over the 3 years.

Decent cost of living for the location, which is terrific. Older building, but has lots of room. At the edge of main campus, which is close (but sometimes wish it were closer). Safe town.

Had a unique set of essay questions that was more probing than the open-ended personal statements most schools ask for... otherwise a standard admissions process.