Classes are excellent. Large enough to be competitive, but small enough to receive individual attention. Socratic methods is balanced with other teaching methods. The quality of faculty is good and improving. There are substantial opportunities to study abroad and a great deal of institutional support to do so.

The collegial atmosphere and substantial social opportunities make UA law a great place to be.

Alabama requires a second essay beyond a personal statement. They seem to distribute a substantial number of scholarships. LSAT, process, LSAC/LSDAS seemed to be normal.

The class sizes are very small compared to other schools I considered. I have also been very pleased with the notable faculty and quality of academic teaching. The learning enviromnent definitely is challenging and fosters a competitive desire to achieve the best a person can without sacrificing intergrity to get to the top. The work load is intense, but I would not expect anything less from a reputable institution such as this school.

Cheap appartment rent is easy to come by. Also the cost of living is low which makes it less burdensome to attend school. Overall the campus is very nice and there's a pleasent atmosphere.

LSAT, personal essays, references. Great opportunity for scholarship opportuinities and broad financial support from alumni base.

2008

Good instructors who have a strong focus on teaching. A lot of the newly hired professors are more noted in their scholarship. Most encourage class participation by the Socratic method or some other student engagement. Courses are very competitive because grading is tightly curved. Overall a good learning environment and experience.

Great and positive environment.

Application (LSDAS and two essays) covers both admission and scholarships.

2009

After first year, most classes are fairly small (~20 students). Most faculty members, especially the younger ones, seem to genuinely care about the students. They attend social functions sponsored by the SBA and host events in their own homes at their own expense. Doors are always open. This results in a very positive and motivating academic environment.

New building separate from the main University campus. Very safe, clean, and accessible.

When I was admitted, each applicant was required to submit an LSAT score and fill out the admissions application. The application was standard and did not require burdensome essays. Each admitted student was considered for available scholarships. Currently, Honors students from the University of Alabama may be admitted without and LSAT score (provided they meet certain GPA requirements), but to my knowledge, they are not considered for scholarships if they do not take the LSAT.

Law school was described to me as a competitive enterprise where students would rip the pages out of library books so other students would not be able to find the necessary materials. This couldn't be farther from the truth at Alabama. Alabama had the most friendly, collegial academic atmosphere of any institution that I've been a part of. The classes are challenging without asking more of you than you are capable. The professors are insightful and represent some of the preeminent scholars in their respective fields. Most professors strike a delicate balance between lecture and the Socratic method, challenging students to arrive at the truth through dialectic, but also providing a meaningful opportunities for those supposed "truths" to be challenged by the class as a whole. Alabama also offers several study abroad opportunities that, while I did not get to experience personally, have received universal acclaim from my classmates.

There are a myriad of opportunities to ensure a well-balanced life at Alabama. The intra-school Campbell Moot Court Competition is a great way to sharpen legal writing skills and develop a good courtroom demeanor, law review is a great research/writing experience, the facilities are top of the line, there is an on-campus dining option, and the Tuscaloosa social life is underrated at worst.

I found the admissions process to be very similar to that for undergraduate applicants to the University of Alabama. The essay questions were standard, but insightful, the application straightforward, and information was easily accessible. The admissions staff is friendly, courteous, respectful, and caring. They are always willing to answer questions, arrange visits, provide for lodging and transportation, and offer meaningful access to current students, teachers, and classrooms. Scholarship opportunities abound, and many are offered some sort of assistance when they are admitted. The law school is well-respected in Tuscaloosa, as well as the rest of the state and beyond. So naturally, its alumni and friends want to provide as many people as possible with the opportunity to attend.

The cost of living is extremely low. The campus is expansive and beautiful. You can spend a day on the quad. The facilities at UA are top notch as well.

2006

The application process is fairly straight forward. When I applied, there were two essay questions. The first was about why you want to come to Alabama Law School and the second you could write about a life changing event or a significant person in your life.

The LSAT is miserable, take it as few times as possible.

Amazing professors, great balance of theory and practical study. The school was highly competitive, but everyone is amiable in student relations and I never felt like I was unable to communicate on the same level as my peers. Opportunities abound as we are the premier law school in the state, faculty is top notch and exciting study abroad programs (australia and switzerland).

standard to most other law schools to which I applied, personal statement, GPA/LSAT, used LSAC, unique essay on diversity experience. Alabama offers a HUGE amount of financial aid and scholarship, in addition to great professors and facilities it helped win me over! The admissions team has to be among the best in the country, no other school was on their level!

Socratic method

anonymous grading

Large classes

Competitive

An additional essay than what's required at most schools