“Awesome school”
November 2019FORMER STUDENT

It is the best law school in DC to attend with the most notable connections after law school. Professors are fantastic and you can get a job anywhere you want after graduation.

It is a very expensive school, but it is worth it because you will make more money in the long run to pay off your loans.

Comments

It has a fantastic location where you can literally walk to your job from school if you want.

“please make it smaller”
June 2019CURRENT STUDENT

Great location, nice prof's, excellent semester internship opportunities, great dean of student's office

massive 1L class, level of competition, career services is generally unhelpful outside of directing you to their website

Comments

it's a great choice, especially if you want to be in dc, but I highly suggest looking at class size and employment outcomes

“Law Student”

Incomplete Coverage of Curriculum due to Egalitarian Culture

Tenured Professors are Rarely Held Accountable for Poor Performance

Litigation Heavy Focus

Main OCIs Focus on DC Area

Comments

If you are a student who plans to practice in one outside of DC, I would recommend seriously considering another school as most of the school's development is with regard to DC. Therefore, the career center can be unhelpful if you are looking at other markets, other than DC, NYC, or Philadelphia.

“GW Law Grad”
July 2018FORMER STUDENT

GW Law has a strong international law program and most of the faculty are top notch.

There is no focus on career development for jobs outside of Biglaw. Because of this, the Career Development Office (which has a ton of advisers who don't appear to do much) does not have any contacts with organizations that do good public service work. This will really affect your ability to land a public service job.

Comments

I would make sure you reach out to members of school faculty and clinics that specialize in areas of interest to you to get a better idea of how their future initiatives and ideas may align with your own.

“Great for IP Law”
March 2018FORMER STUDENT

Regular seminars and talks on patent and other IP law, teachers who are respected scholars in the field, and connections to get jobs at great local firms. So many IP classes you could take nothing but for the last two years if you wanted.

Large class sizes your first year; wish they had more female and diverse professors.

Comments

It was a great experience going here for IP law.

“GW Law Alum”
June 2017FORMER STUDENT

Fantastic program for intellectual property law. I was an evening student and had access to a variety of IP courses from professors who are top in their field.

As an evening student, it would be nice to have more social events helping the evening students to feel more part of the mainstream law school community.

Comments

Great school, great location, and great professors. If you are looking to study intellectual property law, this is the school for you.

“Good law school”
February 2017FORMER STUDENT

great professors who are very nice and accessible, great location of the school, very convenient

the scholarship is not very transparent, career development support is not very helpful

Comments

really depends on your area of focus, good for IP related work and regulatory work.

“2L At GW Law”
April 2016CURRENT STUDENT

The faculty are outstanding. The school is able to attract impressive professors who are leaders in their field because of its location at the center of Washington, DC. I can only think of one professor that I've had who wasn't great. The school's on-campus recruiting program was a great opportunity for me; the school also has a diversity recruiting program that is very well attended by firms and other employers.

The facilities aren't as updated as the could be, and the law school can seem a bit crowded at times. This isn't a huge problem, because there are plenty of study spaces across campus, but it can be annoying.

Comments

I had success negotiating an increase in my scholarship at GW Law based on the amount of money I received from peer schools. Studying law in Washington, DC is a great experience. I highly recommend GW Law.

“Former Foreign Students”
January 2016FORMER STUDENT

One of the best location to enjoy life in city and studying

I think they need have more focus on foreign LLM students

Comments

GW law is a good place to study IP laws and know this before you apply.

“Nowhere Better to Study Law”
November 2015FORMER STUDENT

The University is located smack dab in the middle of Washington, DC and therefore in the heart of the legal world. It is a large university, so you will be exposed to every different type of student, as well as have access to almost every different type of legal focused class you can imagine. The professors are outstanding, and unlike other Universities, the Professors at GW Law actually care about teaching as much as they care about their scholarship. I truly cannot say enough good things about my experience at GW Law.

The only negative is that I think law schools (GW included) admit too many students. There simply aren't enough jobs for all of the people they accept.

Comments

Go for it, just make sure you really want to practice law.