“Underdog”
July 2017CURRENT STUDENT

The unique bond you create while at Suffolk law with students and teachers and everyone's willingness to help.

The fact its an underdog in Boston when compared to schools like Harvard and BU.

Comments

You wont be sorry you went here. While its an underdog, it has some excellent opportunties to really shine and come to the top. Great legal writing program, great journal experience, and really get thrust into the Boston legal community with multiple connections and opportunities to meet alums and network and get yourself where you want to go.

“1L”
November 2015CURRENT STUDENT

The school makes it easy to transition into law school life. It's a lot of information but they practically hold our hands.

I haven't really found anything wrong with the school in. Maybe by the end of my first year I will.

Comments

At this moment I don't have anything further to add.

There has been phenomenal support from the professors, the Academic Support office in the first year, and my fellow classmates. It is an environment that encourages development, rather than the intensely competitive atmosphere present at so many other law schools. I really would not want to be anywhere else.

Expensive.

There was nothing particularly unusual about the process, but the LSAT score required for admission was higher than other local schools, offering an evening program. I completed my application, including the required essay. I had to secure recommendations and after doing so, I uploaded them as well into the admissions website. Once I completed the LSAT and had that score reported to the LSDAS, I was pretty much set. The disappointment has been with the inability to secure scholarship opportunities at Suffolk. It is supposed to be based upon need. I am married, living witth one of our children, still supporting other children overseas, I have the only income in the household because my husband has not been able to secure a job, but the financial aid office doesn't believe that there's enough financial need to offer any grant monies. I am not earning a huge salary either, since I have to keep employment that doesn't require or offer over-time. Yet, I am still expected to secure grad plus loans because the stafford funds don't even cover the ever increasing tuition.

The quality of the professors was top notch at Suffolk. Not only are they excellent teachers but they are also highly available tot the students for help and to serve as mentors. The classes generally lean more towards practical study but theory classes were available if students were interested. I had excellent academic advisers and was never short on resources no matter the questions I had. The level of competitiveness at Suffolk is not as high (at least on the surface) as I have heard it can be at other schools. That is not to say that students were not striving towards excellence but people were willing to help others out when they needed it and there was no sabotage. The grading seemed overall fair and the research opportunities were available to students who wanted them. Finally the workload, while significant, was manageable, even when combined with the extracurricular activities available at the school. In general I had an excellent experience as a Suffolk student and will miss being there.

The facilities at Suffolk University Law School are some of the vest in the city. The library is beautiful and well stocked, the classrooms are new and well designed. Additionally the school is located in the center of Boston across the park from the statehouse. I loved being in the middle of the city but being able to retreat into the building when I needed to do work (where I was never distracted by tour location).

The process was fairly standard for application to a higher education institute. I had to submit an application with an application essay and my LSAT scores. The best thing about applying to Suffolk was that the scholarships were very easy to apply for and the school made an effort to make them available and visible to the applicants.