“High Quality Education and Suprisingly Good Alumni Base”
June 2017CURRENT STUDENT

Alumni are extremely willing to go out of their way to help you. The quality versus cost of education is unmatched in Boston - I paid $90,000 less here than I would have at BU Law and ended up with the same caliber job (OCI position at a top 25 Boston firm). The students are more "normal," down to earth, and hard working than anticipated. No snobs.

Academic advising and professional development could be more hands on.

Comments

Unless the cost of Suffolk is substantially similar to other, "better" schools likes BU or BC, Suffolk is your best bet. Also, do not even consider Northeastern. Suffolk has a better alumni base. Get good grades and finish 1L with a good class rank and you'll be in the same position as your peers at BU and BC.

THEY HAVE A NICE BLEND OF THEORY AND PRACTICAL STUDY THE FIRST YEAR. BEYOND THAT THERE ARE A LOT OF PRACTICE BASED COURSES. PROFESSORS ARE EXTREMELY WELL-KNOWLEDGED IN THE SUBJECTS THEY TEACH, MANY ARE MASTERS IN THEIR FIELDS (GLANNON IN CIVIL PROCEDURE, FERREY IN ENVIRONMENTAL/ENERGY LAW). AMAZING STUDY/WORK ABROAD PROGRAMS (LUND FOR STUDY, ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD FOR WORK). GRADING IS PRETTY TYPICAL - B CURVE FOR THE LARGER CLASSES IS MANDATORY, CLASSES SMALLER HAVE THE OPTION TO USE IT OR NOT. MANY CLINICAL COURSES OFFERED.

NO ON-CAMPUS DORMS/LIVING ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE LAW SCHOOL. FACILITIES ARE AMAZING - SEMI-BRAND NEW BUILDING, WIRELESS THROUGHOUT, LARGE COMFORTABLE CLASSROOMS, 4 AMAZING MOOT COURTROOMS (ONE IS SO NICE THAT SOME JUDGES HOLD THEIR REGULAR MOTION SESSIONS IN IT OCCASIONALLY). HAS OWN POLICE FORCE (THAT IS SHARES WITH THE UNDERGRAD/GRAD SCHOOLS). PRIME LOCATION, DIRECTLY ACROSS BOSTON COMMON FROM THE STATEHOUSE.

NOTHING OUT OF THE NORM IN TERMS OF WHAT WAS REQUIRED. REQUIRED LSAT, PERSONAL STATEMENT, USE OF LSAC/LSDAS, TWO LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (ONE FROM A PROFESSOR). DID OFFER FINANCIAL AID - NEEDED TO FILL OUT BOTH THE FASFA AND NEED ACCESS WHICH REQUIRED PARENTS INFO REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU WERE A DEPENDENT OR NOT. DUE TO THIS, FINANCIAL AID IS NOT GIVEN OUT TO A LOT OF THE "OLDER CROWD" (THOSE NOT COMING FRESH OUT OF UNDERGRAD). HAD TO CHOOSE EITHER DAY OR NIGHT PROGRAM TO APPLY. IF THE DAY PROGRAM WAS FULL THEY HAVE YOU A CHANCE, UPON ACCEPTANCE TO GO NIGHT THE FIRST YEAR AND TRANSFER TO DAYS THEREAFTER.

The quality of classes is excellent with many prestigious professors. Adjunct professors are excellent also with practical experience.

Standard application process requiring personal statement, transcript and letters of recommendation.

Brilliant teachers

Students are great. Nobody is too competitve.

essays and LSAT

Professors are of the highest caliber. Thrilled with my choice to attend Suffolk instead of other Boston schools. The quality of education for the price is unmatched.

Cost of living in Boston is very expensive. I currently live outside the city and take the train to Boston for a total commute of 4 hours per day (2 hours each way). Substantial savings from living in the city.

LSAT

Essay

Application

LSAC/LSDAS

Great financial aid and scholarships.

The classes are large first-year but can be very small. They provide a good balance of theory versus practical law which assists students on the MA bar exam while providing a good basis for other state exams. The socratic method is used by some professors and not others, and there is plenty of opportunity for academic advising from either your formal adviser or another professor. It is very competitive and first year is curved on a B+ scale (was a B- when I started). There are study abroad opportunities available. A number of faculty members are very well known included Professor Glannon who is a national authority on torts, and Michael Avery.

The application largely conforms to the LSAC standard law school applications. The process was smooth. Financial aid exists and there are a number of scholarship opportunities. I did not receive a grant until I wrote a letter expressing need and describing some of my achievements, so it seems that someone may be able to receive scholarship funding as a result of their ambition and willingness to express interest in an award.

Academics are very strong. In a competitive Boston environment, Suffolk's Legal Writing program is one of the best. The professors are accessible, and while some courses adhere to the socratic method, others involve a more personal interaction. Research opportunities are available as are studying abroad programs. Grading is challenging. The school used a B- curve for quite a while, and while I could be incorrect I believe it just recently moved to a B curve. This system makes students extremely competitive in light of the fact that other schools in the area curve to a B+ and greater, creating an absence of uniformity in GPA standards. The quality of classes are excellent, and while the U.S. News and World Report rank the school in the Third tier, The Top 100, SuperLawyers, and other systems rank Suffolk in the Top 50 law schools in the United States.

Th facilities are absolutely top-notch, and the school is committed to maintaing the highest levels of technology available. Boston is a beautiful place, and the surrounding area is not only safe, but it offers various opportunities be them for educational or recreational purposes.. Students appear very happy to be part of the academic community, and truly enjoy attending the school.

Traditional application process. LSAT, Application, Essays, Uses the LSAC / LSDAS, and there are scholarship opportunities but not very many.

Lsat:152

The quality of the faculty stands out as exceptional.

Standard application process for law schools.

I have been very impressed with the academics at Suffolk. The faculty are generally top notch, and the facilities are excellent. I am actually a fan of the so-called "harsh" 1L curve, and was disappointed the school raised in a year ago. The Legal Writing progam is particularly solid, and the skills youn learn in that class will help you raise your GPA in other classes, if you use them correctly. Notable faculty, in my view, are Isaac Borenstein, Joe Glannon, Julie Baker and Erik Pitchal. I work full time, so I haven't done them myself, but everyone raves about the clinical programs at Suffolk.

I don't think the school is very competitive, though. It seems like the students are just not very strong. The top 15% or so are, but that's about it.

The facilities are all top notch. The building is brand new, the library is unbelievable and the location (right in Boston) is amazing.

Fairly standard application procedure...one essay or personal statement type of thing, and transcripts and LSATs. They made you goin through LSAC, but pretty much all law schools do, which I find fairly annoying. I didn't qualify for any scholarships or financial aid, but it does seem like Suffolk has a ton of things to offer to people who do. The admissions staff were helpful when I asked them questions and the decision was made fairly quickly.