“High Quality Education and Suprisingly Good Alumni Base”
June 2017CURRENT STUDENT

Alumni are extremely willing to go out of their way to help you. The quality versus cost of education is unmatched in Boston - I paid $90,000 less here than I would have at BU Law and ended up with the same caliber job (OCI position at a top 25 Boston firm). The students are more "normal," down to earth, and hard working than anticipated. No snobs.

Academic advising and professional development could be more hands on.

Comments

Unless the cost of Suffolk is substantially similar to other, "better" schools likes BU or BC, Suffolk is your best bet. Also, do not even consider Northeastern. Suffolk has a better alumni base. Get good grades and finish 1L with a good class rank and you'll be in the same position as your peers at BU and BC.

THEY HAVE A NICE BLEND OF THEORY AND PRACTICAL STUDY THE FIRST YEAR. BEYOND THAT THERE ARE A LOT OF PRACTICE BASED COURSES. PROFESSORS ARE EXTREMELY WELL-KNOWLEDGED IN THE SUBJECTS THEY TEACH, MANY ARE MASTERS IN THEIR FIELDS (GLANNON IN CIVIL PROCEDURE, FERREY IN ENVIRONMENTAL/ENERGY LAW). AMAZING STUDY/WORK ABROAD PROGRAMS (LUND FOR STUDY, ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD FOR WORK). GRADING IS PRETTY TYPICAL - B CURVE FOR THE LARGER CLASSES IS MANDATORY, CLASSES SMALLER HAVE THE OPTION TO USE IT OR NOT. MANY CLINICAL COURSES OFFERED.

NO ON-CAMPUS DORMS/LIVING ARRANGEMENTS FOR THE LAW SCHOOL. FACILITIES ARE AMAZING - SEMI-BRAND NEW BUILDING, WIRELESS THROUGHOUT, LARGE COMFORTABLE CLASSROOMS, 4 AMAZING MOOT COURTROOMS (ONE IS SO NICE THAT SOME JUDGES HOLD THEIR REGULAR MOTION SESSIONS IN IT OCCASIONALLY). HAS OWN POLICE FORCE (THAT IS SHARES WITH THE UNDERGRAD/GRAD SCHOOLS). PRIME LOCATION, DIRECTLY ACROSS BOSTON COMMON FROM THE STATEHOUSE.

NOTHING OUT OF THE NORM IN TERMS OF WHAT WAS REQUIRED. REQUIRED LSAT, PERSONAL STATEMENT, USE OF LSAC/LSDAS, TWO LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (ONE FROM A PROFESSOR). DID OFFER FINANCIAL AID - NEEDED TO FILL OUT BOTH THE FASFA AND NEED ACCESS WHICH REQUIRED PARENTS INFO REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU WERE A DEPENDENT OR NOT. DUE TO THIS, FINANCIAL AID IS NOT GIVEN OUT TO A LOT OF THE "OLDER CROWD" (THOSE NOT COMING FRESH OUT OF UNDERGRAD). HAD TO CHOOSE EITHER DAY OR NIGHT PROGRAM TO APPLY. IF THE DAY PROGRAM WAS FULL THEY HAVE YOU A CHANCE, UPON ACCEPTANCE TO GO NIGHT THE FIRST YEAR AND TRANSFER TO DAYS THEREAFTER.

Professors are of the highest caliber. Thrilled with my choice to attend Suffolk instead of other Boston schools. The quality of education for the price is unmatched.

Cost of living in Boston is very expensive. I currently live outside the city and take the train to Boston for a total commute of 4 hours per day (2 hours each way). Substantial savings from living in the city.

LSAT

Essay

Application

LSAC/LSDAS

Great financial aid and scholarships.

Brilliant teachers

Students are great. Nobody is too competitve.

essays and LSAT

The quality of classes is excellent with many prestigious professors. Adjunct professors are excellent also with practical experience.

Standard application process requiring personal statement, transcript and letters of recommendation.

The only disappointment was a student culture which frowned on participation. I was often a lone speaker in class. Many students spent four years only speaking when called on.

LSAT, LSAC, admissions essay; pretty much what you would expect as normal.

I have been very impressed with the academics at Suffolk. The faculty are generally top notch, and the facilities are excellent. I am actually a fan of the so-called "harsh" 1L curve, and was disappointed the school raised in a year ago. The Legal Writing progam is particularly solid, and the skills youn learn in that class will help you raise your GPA in other classes, if you use them correctly. Notable faculty, in my view, are Isaac Borenstein, Joe Glannon, Julie Baker and Erik Pitchal. I work full time, so I haven't done them myself, but everyone raves about the clinical programs at Suffolk.

I don't think the school is very competitive, though. It seems like the students are just not very strong. The top 15% or so are, but that's about it.

The facilities are all top notch. The building is brand new, the library is unbelievable and the location (right in Boston) is amazing.

Fairly standard application procedure...one essay or personal statement type of thing, and transcripts and LSATs. They made you goin through LSAC, but pretty much all law schools do, which I find fairly annoying. I didn't qualify for any scholarships or financial aid, but it does seem like Suffolk has a ton of things to offer to people who do. The admissions staff were helpful when I asked them questions and the decision was made fairly quickly.

When I first started the school had a grading curve of a B-, however it has since been changed to a B+. The curve mostly used 1st year but some larger classes employ it in the later years. Facualty is great and the legal writing program is one of the best in the country. School is very competitive and class sizes range from as small as 10 people to as large as a 130 for the more popular classes such as Corporations and Evidence.

The most beautiful law school around. I have been inside Harvard, BU and BC and Suffolk blows them all away. It is only 11 years old. Everything is new and hi-tech. Further, the law school sits right in Beacon Hill near the state house. It is a 5 minute walk from Fanuel Hall and the North End. Perfect location.

The admissions process is pretty basic. The school as many scholarship opprotunities. I received several just for the area of Massachusetts I grew up in.

The quality of classes and professors is outstanding. Law school is a very different type of education, and the Suffolk professors really make the transition into "thinking like a lawyer" as smooth as possible. The Socratic method was used in all of my first year classes. It is a bit intimidating at first, but if you are prepared and can overcome fears of public speaking, you will actually start to enjoy it. Because I am an Evening Division student, I actually did not even meet with my academic advisor once during the first year. But, honestly, I did not feel the need to do so because my professors and the Deans were more than happy to answer any questions I had about any school or work related concern. The class is broken up into sections of about 100 students. The section size is a bit large (mine was 96), but that is to be expected as a first year law student, and I actually thought it worked to our advantage because the grades are based on everyone's performance - not simply your own - so the more students there are in a class, the more of a chance you have to distinguish yourself. As with any law school, it is competitive. But I must say, I was fully expecting to experience some of the horror stories I heard during my application process - stolen notebooks, sabotaged text books, stolen lap tops, etc.. I did not even come close to experiencing ANY of that nonsense. The students in my section at Suffolk were some of the best people with whom I have ever interacted. We helped each other out, studied together, took notes for each other, spent free time together, and so on. As far as other things go, Suffolk was just recognized for their Legal Writing and Clinical Programs. Having taken a Legal Writing course last year, I will say that it was definitely the most challenging class for me. But I also learned the most from it and my professor was the best. Notable Suffolk faculty includes Professors Joseph Glannon and Steven Ferrey - both of whom I had as a 1L, and both of whom are unbelievably great teachers and people. Suffolk also has a lot of opportunities to study abroad (their Sweden program is highly regarded).

There is no unique aspect of the Suffolk admissions process, other than the fact that letters of recommendation are not required. The whole process went fairly smoothly, although the fees with LSAC/LSDAS and the school's application itself start to add up quickly.

Suffolk prides itself on hiring practitioners and professors. This makes for an excellent combination of theoretical and practical training. Furthermore, our LPS program is one of the top twenty in the country. We receive rigorous training on writing memos, briefs, and oral advocacy.

Suffolk allows student to participate in more than six concentrations, including civil litigation, business litigation, health care law, international law, etc. The classes offered in these courses are diverse and thorough, giving students an opportunity to cultivate their interests.