“First Year Experience”
June 2015CURRENT STUDENT

Great Professors, Nice Library, and Facilities are clean and fairly new.

Poor resources, CDO, Dropping LSAT and GPA scores are flooding the school with less qualified applicants.

Comments

If you are looking to get into public interest or potentially business law, then this school is a good fit. However, if you are looking into federal positions/ large law firms, retake the LSAT or choose elsewhere.

I have been very impressed by the caliber of the professors and the other students; both have exceeded my expectations. The first year sections each have about 85 students, and there is a writing/research class with 15 students. Students are competitive, but always helpful and supportive of each other. Some of my professors included Joseph Glannon, who wrote books on CivPro and Torts that every student in the country use; Karen Blum, who teaches federal judges the Rules; and Barry Brown, property guru and university Provost.

The writing division is one of the top in the country, and I have yet to hear anything negative about it from any of the students. There is also the Rappaport Center, which sets up students with a huge variety of pro bono opportunities, if the student desires.

The building is incredible. When you consider that you will practically be living in the building, especially the library, you cannot take for granted how important the surroundings are. The library is beautiful, with a view from the State House and Freedom Trail, all the way across Boston to the Citgo sign at Fenway. Classrooms are all state of the art and comfortable, and even the cafeteria is great. The moot courtrooms are nicer than most real courtrooms. All of the people who work in the building (security, cleaning) are friendly and helpful. There are usually some bums around the Park St. T station, however I have never felt unsafe- it's a busy area between the Boston Common and the financial district.

Boston is a very expensive city, so look to get a roommate so you can free up a little money to go out. I absolutely love Boston/Cambridge, and the more I discover and experience new things, the more I like it.

I felt that Suffolk looks at the entire individual, rather than simply "the numbers." My GPA/LSAT were 3.5/159, but the strongest parts of my application were my essays and letters of recommendation. I was awarded a full tuition scholarship.

Most of the faculty is excellent. Grading is curved like most schools first year, but after that it's not.

The school is in a nice area of Boston with everything you need right there.

The application process is standard. The earlier you apply, the earlier you will hear back.

great classes, great professors

Suffolk is great. 1st year classes have around 70 students; upper level classes have between 10 and 70. There are many practical classes and lots of classes taught by very execptional lawyers and judges. The inernship for credit program is very good.

LSAT scores plus an essay

The socratic method is used first year, and it is effective. The school is more geared toward a practical approach as opposed to theoretical. The clinical programs available for second and third year students are great and provide a unique law school experience.

The law school is fabulous, no complaints about anything.

Application is standard.

Mix of Socratic method with some modern powerpoint doctrinal presentation as well. Most classes focused on an open class discussion.

Good location. Facilities are above average and technology services are fairly modern. Safe and secure.

LSDAS online application was required and personal paper applications were not welcome. Typical essay questions regarding why I wanted to go to school there and what I hoped to get out of the experience.

standard

standard

All pretty standard. I took the LSAT and selected to have my scores sent to the schools for which I was applying, got recommendations from College professors, and wrote a personal statement.

As in all schools, some teachers are better than others, but consistent among most is their practical knowledge of the material and relation of topics to real-life scenarios. Suffolk is best for training their students to learn, think, and act like lawyers rather than review history and theory of various areas of law.

library and classrooms have numerous outlets or internet jacks that need repair. Library cubes should be cleaned daily - they are filthy.

Similar process as with most law schools.