“First Year Experience”
June 2015CURRENT STUDENT

Great Professors, Nice Library, and Facilities are clean and fairly new.

Poor resources, CDO, Dropping LSAT and GPA scores are flooding the school with less qualified applicants.

Comments

If you are looking to get into public interest or potentially business law, then this school is a good fit. However, if you are looking into federal positions/ large law firms, retake the LSAT or choose elsewhere.

First year is the same at all law schools. Most classes are a combination of lecture and Socratic method. Suffolk students are less competitive with each other than are students at other schools, I believe.

Boston is a rather expensive city, but affordable places to live are fairly close by, with good public transportation available. Since the school is right on the Common, in the center of the city, it is reasonably safe.

The usual for a law school: LSAT, common application, essay, FAFSA and Need Access financial aid application which submits financial information for campus scholarships.

Mix of Socratic method with some modern powerpoint doctrinal presentation as well. Most classes focused on an open class discussion.

Good location. Facilities are above average and technology services are fairly modern. Safe and secure.

LSDAS online application was required and personal paper applications were not welcome. Typical essay questions regarding why I wanted to go to school there and what I hoped to get out of the experience.

I feel that the quality of classes at Suffolk is very high. The school suffers from an undeservedly low reputation. Many alumni are big movers and shakers in Boston and Massachusetts politics. Some professors are top-notch, Professor Wittenberg for Contracts, Professor Glannon for Civil Procedure and Torts as well as Professor Avery for Evidence and Professor Kindregean for Family Law.

No housing available, but the area is generally safe. Lots of options for eating lunch in the area. The school is also very easily accessible from any line of the MBTA.

It was a normal application, including LSAT scores. LSAC made it somewhat easier. Two letters of reference as well.

I have been very impressed by the caliber of the professors and the other students; both have exceeded my expectations. The first year sections each have about 85 students, and there is a writing/research class with 15 students. Students are competitive, but always helpful and supportive of each other. Some of my professors included Joseph Glannon, who wrote books on CivPro and Torts that every student in the country use; Karen Blum, who teaches federal judges the Rules; and Barry Brown, property guru and university Provost.

The writing division is one of the top in the country, and I have yet to hear anything negative about it from any of the students. There is also the Rappaport Center, which sets up students with a huge variety of pro bono opportunities, if the student desires.

The building is incredible. When you consider that you will practically be living in the building, especially the library, you cannot take for granted how important the surroundings are. The library is beautiful, with a view from the State House and Freedom Trail, all the way across Boston to the Citgo sign at Fenway. Classrooms are all state of the art and comfortable, and even the cafeteria is great. The moot courtrooms are nicer than most real courtrooms. All of the people who work in the building (security, cleaning) are friendly and helpful. There are usually some bums around the Park St. T station, however I have never felt unsafe- it's a busy area between the Boston Common and the financial district.

Boston is a very expensive city, so look to get a roommate so you can free up a little money to go out. I absolutely love Boston/Cambridge, and the more I discover and experience new things, the more I like it.

I felt that Suffolk looks at the entire individual, rather than simply "the numbers." My GPA/LSAT were 3.5/159, but the strongest parts of my application were my essays and letters of recommendation. I was awarded a full tuition scholarship.

LSAT, entrance essay, recommendation letters, and scholarship opportunities

I have had some of the best academics so far in any educational institution. Many of my peer students were highly motivated professionals with advance graduate degrees in sciences and other fields.

Most of the faculty members were notable in their fields such as Professor Glannon for Torts and Civil Procedure and Professor Micheal Avery for Evidence.

Giving the background of most of the students and the calibre of faculty, the atmosphere was friendly yet highly competitive.

Two essays: personal and professional

LSAT required

LSAC/LSDAS used for the application process;

Finacial aid and scholarship was also available.

The socratic method is used first year, and it is effective. The school is more geared toward a practical approach as opposed to theoretical. The clinical programs available for second and third year students are great and provide a unique law school experience.

The law school is fabulous, no complaints about anything.

Application is standard.

Suffolk is great. 1st year classes have around 70 students; upper level classes have between 10 and 70. There are many practical classes and lots of classes taught by very execptional lawyers and judges. The inernship for credit program is very good.

LSAT scores plus an essay

Average LSAT 155