Small class sizes, not very competitive, good collaboration, study abroad opportunities, and multiple research opportunities.

Low cost of living.

LSAT, basic application.

Great financial aid assistance and scholarship opportunities.

Class sizes were rather small given the size of the school. Academic advising needs to be sought out, they will not come to you. There were many research assistantships available throughout my time here. Some professors use the Socratic method more than others. 1L classes were almost all based on the Socratic method. Grading is all curved. There is a study abroad opportunity through NIU COL to France that many students choose to partake in during the summer after their 1L year. It is competitive because of the curved grading, but all the students were very willing to work and study with each other.

I would say that it is your typical university town atmosphere. It is sort of small town living. The recreation facilities on campus are nice and are free to students during the school year. There are many apartments to live in around campus as well. The law library has its own computer lab. The Courtroom in the College of Law was recently redone in terms of seating and is also the largest classroom used. There is a certain amount of crime that seems higher than in other places, but I cannot say whether it's more or less than average.

Fairly basic admissions process. An essay was required describing why you wished to attend the University. LSAT scores are a factor, but I don't think they were a significant one.

Learned a great deal and there was good opportunity for practical courses.

The school was in need of serious renovation my first 2 years. A big renovation was undertaken my 3rd year for the main courtroom. However, still some work needs to be done on the "court" portion of the room.

The same process as every other school with little scholarship opportunity.

2009

Classes are good, teachers are really caring. Class sizes are relatively small so you get a lot of good attention. There are a lot of cool externship and clinic opportunities because of the small size. The faculty is amazing and we have a really unique study abroad program in France.

Cost of living is extremely inexpensive in DeKalb. The law school is decent. We have two moot courtrooms that are both very nice. There is plenty of housing and dining options in DeKalb given that it is a college town. Crime is relatively low and there are always campus police available. Overall, it is a fun, safe school.

Regular essay, low LSAT requirments, easy application generally

All of the above

2007

I think I there is a good mix of discussion/ lecture and socratic teaching. Also there is skills classes as well as substantive classes. Has a summer program in France.

lsat required, personal statement, and application which can be done electronically through lsac

NIU had good practical study, a course on Trial Advocacy hands on, internship hands on opportunities, a Lawyering Skills class, the Socratic Method, had toughter grading standards than more prestigious schools.

The professors were great friends, and I loved the NIU College of Law study abroad program in France for the summer, learning about French law and how the courts work there.

I had to complete unique essays, the LSAT, LSDAS, financial aid applications, plus a resume, grades from underraduate.

2007

Generally, I thought the academics at the school were good. If you were willing to put in the time and effort, you could learn a great deal. The professors, for the most part (there are always exceptions) made classes challenging. The Socratic method was used in many of my classes. Classes were small and professors were always available outside of class, which was great. The professors generally focused more on practical skills than theory and the school had a great selection of clinics and trial-skills courses. There were also great opportunities to work as research assistants and to get involved with challenging extra-curricular activities. Competitiveness seemed to change year to year; however, every student was generally willing to work collectively and to take the time to meet with others (study groups were common). Don't expect to have pages ripped out of library books or anything like that here. The school really has a family-like student body.

Cost of living is small. The campus has a great feel. The law school building is currently being updated, which will be nice when it is done.

I don't recall any specific application questions or essays, but I know that one of the individuals that wrote a letter of recommendation for me was contacted by the law school to thank him for his letter, which the board found very moving. The LSAT scores are average. Financial aid opportunities are limited in number, but the school has a great opportunity (due to the small number of students) to obtain Graduate Assistant and Research Assistant positions that provide tuition waivers and/or stipends.

2009

I was impressed with the quality of faculty -- many graduated from prestigious law schools, had notable careers/publications, etc. Classes taught via Socratic method, but not in an overly intimidating way. There is one study abroad opportunity in Agen France (I did not go, but heard many good things about it from others who did). Good variety of practical study courses and a school-sponsored legal clinic for senior students to get hands-on experience.

The law library is fairly good; staff are extremely helpful. Computer lab could be updated. Courtrooms were recently updated.

LSAT, Standard admission application including personal statement/essay. Some scholarships are automatically granted (without a separate application) based on undergrad GPA, application, and LSAT scores; other endowed scholarships require an additional application.

2009

I thought that most of the faculty was good at their job. I don't recall any particularly notable faculty. However, the faculty was helpful and generally easily accessible outside of class time.

Classes the first and second semester utilized the Socratic method much more intensely than later years. Classes that I attended ranged from 10 students to 60+ students depending on the year and the subject being taught. The vast majority of classes I took were black letter and theory oriented. There are practical classes available, but more classes that have real world applications would are always warranted in a field such as law where law school does not seem to teach you the practical realities of how to be a lawyer.

There was a study abroad program to Agen France for European Union and Civil Law which is was well done.

I enjoyed the quality of life at the law school. The apartments and cost of living was high, but no higher than your average state school college town. There were plenty of things to do outside of class and the other students were very friendly.

I never felt unsafe during my time at NIU. However, when I attended there was the school shooting there. That said, I believe the campus security did everything possible to resolve the situation. There are a few areas off campus that were a little rough but I don't know anyone that had any problems and most of the areas that had problems were not areas law students had any reason to frequent.

A full tuition scholarship (tuition only) was available for LSAT score and undergraduate GPA. The scholarship was given without additional paperwork or application. I used the LSDAS coupled with application form for admission purposes. I do not recall any part of the application process that was particularly unique from other schools to which I applied.

2008