Many excellent internship and externship opportunities for those who are interested. Also a good deal of practical coursework, which proved most useful to me as opposed to Socratic-based courses. Research opportunities are extended often by professors. Professors are liberal, knowledgeable, down to earth and very approachable. Study abroad opportunities are always available and encouraged by faculty. Class size is small enough to allow for a rather tight-knit student body.

Pretty standard.

2008

NIU is small and you get to know the people in the school. With such a small school there opportunities to explore many different opportunities. I am very happy with the education that I am receiving at NIU.

Northern Illinois offers a great quality of classes and a well balanced theory vs. practical study application. The Socratic method allows for students to quickly think on their feet, but is not so overwhelming that students feel overly anxious. The class sizes are relatively small, which allow and encourage student participation. The students at Northern Illinois are competitive, however the competition is not mean spirited and students are willing to make the best out of the situation. Professors are more than willing to provide students with assistance after class or during their office hours.

The cost of living at Northern Illinois is relatively cheap, the campus has everything a student could need. The law library is very organized and the staff are very helpful. The law school has a computer lab which always has open seats. There is also a computer lab located in Northern Illinois main library. The moot courtrooms are very up to date and provide for a real life experience. Housing and dining are limited however there is still a large range for students who start looking early. Like any other campus crime does occur on the campus and withing the neighborhood, however police are often present on campus. Overall i am very happy with the quality of life, Northern Illinois offers students facilities and services which large universities offer, but still has a small school feel to it.

Northern stresses practical training, offering a strong curriculum in writing, research, skills training, and clinic work. Also, the class sizes are kept relatively small, with easy accessibility to the faculty (both full time and visiting).

Everything needed for success in law school is available at Northern; excellent library facilities, mock court rooms, etc.

Northern offers very attractive financial aid packages, from scholarships coordinated with third parties to graduate assistant positions for upper class students.

2007

Class sizes are great, you really get to know your other students and the professors as well. The quality of classes varies depending on the instructor. I just finished my first year so I haven't experienced the practice oriented classes (except for legal writing and research). Many of the professors take on graduate assistants and seems like it would be a great experience to work with one of them on their scholarly writings.

DeKalb is cheap. Compared to Chicago at least. The school is great, the library could use some TLC, but still good.

Scholarships seem to be based on admitting information and there are not many 'write on' scholarships. However, for minorities, there seems to be a good deal of scholarship opportunity.

Almost 1/2 of third year students receive a tuition discount (typically 1/2 or full waved)for some sort of assistantship.

Everyone gets along great. Campus community provides a lot of great activities and fun things to do.

2009

Class sizes were rather small given the size of the school. Academic advising needs to be sought out, they will not come to you. There were many research assistantships available throughout my time here. Some professors use the Socratic method more than others. 1L classes were almost all based on the Socratic method. Grading is all curved. There is a study abroad opportunity through NIU COL to France that many students choose to partake in during the summer after their 1L year. It is competitive because of the curved grading, but all the students were very willing to work and study with each other.

I would say that it is your typical university town atmosphere. It is sort of small town living. The recreation facilities on campus are nice and are free to students during the school year. There are many apartments to live in around campus as well. The law library has its own computer lab. The Courtroom in the College of Law was recently redone in terms of seating and is also the largest classroom used. There is a certain amount of crime that seems higher than in other places, but I cannot say whether it's more or less than average.

Fairly basic admissions process. An essay was required describing why you wished to attend the University. LSAT scores are a factor, but I don't think they were a significant one.

LSAT, Application

2008

Small class sizes, not very competitive, good collaboration, study abroad opportunities, and multiple research opportunities.

Low cost of living.

LSAT, basic application.

Great financial aid assistance and scholarship opportunities.