“Meh”
May 2020CURRENT STUDENT

The school has a good reputation around Boston and elsewhere. The Co-op program is a fantastic way of gaining hands-on experience and giving graduates an advantage over other schools.

The culture is terrible! If you do not have extreme liberal views, the professors and students will resent you for it. At least a few times in every class a student will raise their hand to make some ridiculous statement to the applause of many others in the class. Things like that make it a little difficult to take the school seriously (especially for visitors). The law school building is atrocious and is in desperate need of major repairs as it looks like a sad high school as opposed to a prestigious law school.

Comments

Be sure you understand the school's culture before attending and weigh that against the positives of the school.

Unique "co-op" program allowed me to pursue my interest in real estate law during my 4 separate "co-op" quarters, essentially 3 month internships. By focusing on my personal interests on while on co-op, I could take various law classes that interested during my "academic" quarters.

Grading system: there are no letter grades, only written evaluations. Most importantly, there is no class rank.

Newly transformed building given to the law school from the undergraduate school greatly expanded the spaces. Improved library space, although more traditional study tables are needed.

Brand new moot courtroom and computer labs (2009).

Cost of living in Boston is somewhat expensive. Many students choose to live in nearby Jamaica Plain where rents are more reasonable.

Essays, LSAT, admissions review committee includes professors and current students. Additional Public Interest Law Scholarship (PILS) application for full scholarship, but must pursue career in public interest law.

Most professors use some version of the Socratic method in their classes. Many professors emphasize the practical application of the law. All professors are required to have experience practicing law, so they often bring in examples from their work. Some professors also like to use simulations and oral argument in their substantive classes. 1L classes are usually 60 people. Your first year Research & Writing class is usually 12 people. Upper level courses range from 6-60 people in the class.

The campus facilities are great! You have access to two great gyms, fitness classes, a pool, and intramural sports. There are lots of computer labs, unlimited free printing, and lots of comfortable study space. There are lots of nearby dining options.

The admissions process is about the same as anywhere else. Mentioning your interest in public interest law or the co-op program may help your personal statement. There is a Dean's scholarship available. I received $8,500/year for three years. There are also endowed scholarships available in your second and third years. These are usually around $1000 each.

Great, inspiring, practical classes led me to my career in public interest law ans litigation.

Involved, fun student body with many opportunities for social and academic interaction.

I do not remember anymore, to be honest! I'm sure they required all of the listed information, additional essays, etc.

great classes, frequent practical focus, Socratic method in first year courses, faculty very eager to advise, unique first year program with a client project component, grading through evaluations

two essays (one general, one public interest), LSAT score, transcripts, letters of recommendation, Dean's scholarship recipiant

Classes were challenging and included a good mix of theory vs. practical study. Some professors utilized the Socratic method, and some were more casual. All used cold-calling during the first year. This was stressful, but required greater preparation. We were not give grades, but were provided with narrative evaluations of our performance in the class, on exams, etc. This took a LOT of time for the professors and provide us as students with great feedback. The faculty was incredibly accessible. They encouraged you to research with them and join them in their causes and intellectual pursuits. I felt I was treated like a peer outside of the classroom. I alwasy felt my opinion was valued.

The quality of life is great - there is great access for a smaller law school b/c it is part of a larger university. The main gym is right across the street from the law school. I utilized this everyday, and it is a beautiful, new, clean facility. There are many and varied food options all within a 5 minute walk. Fenway Park, the Museam of Art, and downtown are all within 10 minutes walking. Two public transportation lines are within a 5 minute walk. I felt safe at all times of day being on or near campus. I loved my experience at the school.

As a student applying, I felt the process was fairly typical. As a law student, I read incoming student applications, and at that point, I realized that the standards for the essays were much higher than I realized.

Classes varied from small and intimate to large, depending on the course material. First year classes were typically large, but the open-door, non-competitive policy at the school (reinforced by the lack of grade and no curve) made it easy to talk to professors and stay focused while working cooperatively with other students, much like in the real world practice of law. The school offered transactional courses which were excellent, and the unique co-op experience gave me a year of legal experience by the time I graduated, putting me way ahead of other new graduates. I was able to study and work abroad during my time at NUSL, which I loved.

Boston is a wonderful town to go to school in, and NUSL is right in Fenway, one of the best places to be in town - close to shopping, restaurants, sports, any everything you want in Boston. The facilities at NUSL and the university in general are state-of-the-art and get newer every day - it was a pleasure to use the library and other facilities on campus. There is a lot of parking and the dorms are awesome.

NUSL is more focused on admitting students that have the whole package - experience, academic ability, community service, commitment. Scholarships are limited but financial aid covers the gap.

Our professors are more laid back in class than other law school professors, meaning we don't spend class in fear of being humiliated by getting cold called and not knowing the answer.

Boston is amazing, the Northeastern buildings are mostly very new and comfortable. We have a great law library and access to Northeastern's huge general library as well. Overall happiness is high because Northeastern students are less stressed my classes and generally a fun group of people.

There is a public interest scholarship for students who are sure they want to work in public interest after graduation. It covers full tuition, but it's a very competitive program.

Amazing library and moot courtroom! Just refurnished and absolutely beautiful.

I loved the focus on public interest law. I also liked that most faculty had practical experience actually practicing law.

The school is in a good neighborhood that has lots of helpful access to public transportation. Boston is cold.

Took LSAT. I went through LSAC for application process. I did early action application, which was great because I heard back in January I think that I got in.