“Meh”
May 2020CURRENT STUDENT

The school has a good reputation around Boston and elsewhere. The Co-op program is a fantastic way of gaining hands-on experience and giving graduates an advantage over other schools.

The culture is terrible! If you do not have extreme liberal views, the professors and students will resent you for it. At least a few times in every class a student will raise their hand to make some ridiculous statement to the applause of many others in the class. Things like that make it a little difficult to take the school seriously (especially for visitors). The law school building is atrocious and is in desperate need of major repairs as it looks like a sad high school as opposed to a prestigious law school.

Comments

Be sure you understand the school's culture before attending and weigh that against the positives of the school.

Unique "co-op" program allowed me to pursue my interest in real estate law during my 4 separate "co-op" quarters, essentially 3 month internships. By focusing on my personal interests on while on co-op, I could take various law classes that interested during my "academic" quarters.

Grading system: there are no letter grades, only written evaluations. Most importantly, there is no class rank.

Newly transformed building given to the law school from the undergraduate school greatly expanded the spaces. Improved library space, although more traditional study tables are needed.

Brand new moot courtroom and computer labs (2009).

Cost of living in Boston is somewhat expensive. Many students choose to live in nearby Jamaica Plain where rents are more reasonable.

Essays, LSAT, admissions review committee includes professors and current students. Additional Public Interest Law Scholarship (PILS) application for full scholarship, but must pursue career in public interest law.

Great, inspiring, practical classes led me to my career in public interest law ans litigation.

Involved, fun student body with many opportunities for social and academic interaction.

I do not remember anymore, to be honest! I'm sure they required all of the listed information, additional essays, etc.

Most professors use some version of the Socratic method in their classes. Many professors emphasize the practical application of the law. All professors are required to have experience practicing law, so they often bring in examples from their work. Some professors also like to use simulations and oral argument in their substantive classes. 1L classes are usually 60 people. Your first year Research & Writing class is usually 12 people. Upper level courses range from 6-60 people in the class.

The campus facilities are great! You have access to two great gyms, fitness classes, a pool, and intramural sports. There are lots of computer labs, unlimited free printing, and lots of comfortable study space. There are lots of nearby dining options.

The admissions process is about the same as anywhere else. Mentioning your interest in public interest law or the co-op program may help your personal statement. There is a Dean's scholarship available. I received $8,500/year for three years. There are also endowed scholarships available in your second and third years. These are usually around $1000 each.

Northeastern's co-op program makes it one of the very best law schools in America. Its focus on experiential learning truly distinguishes NUSL.

Amazing library and moot courtroom! Just refurnished and absolutely beautiful.

There were three optional essay questions to supplement the general LSADS application. There was no extra financial aid application besides the fafsa.

Classes varied from small and intimate to large, depending on the course material. First year classes were typically large, but the open-door, non-competitive policy at the school (reinforced by the lack of grade and no curve) made it easy to talk to professors and stay focused while working cooperatively with other students, much like in the real world practice of law. The school offered transactional courses which were excellent, and the unique co-op experience gave me a year of legal experience by the time I graduated, putting me way ahead of other new graduates. I was able to study and work abroad during my time at NUSL, which I loved.

Boston is a wonderful town to go to school in, and NUSL is right in Fenway, one of the best places to be in town - close to shopping, restaurants, sports, any everything you want in Boston. The facilities at NUSL and the university in general are state-of-the-art and get newer every day - it was a pleasure to use the library and other facilities on campus. There is a lot of parking and the dorms are awesome.

NUSL is more focused on admitting students that have the whole package - experience, academic ability, community service, commitment. Scholarships are limited but financial aid covers the gap.

I loved the focus on public interest law. I also liked that most faculty had practical experience actually practicing law.

The school is in a good neighborhood that has lots of helpful access to public transportation. Boston is cold.

Took LSAT. I went through LSAC for application process. I did early action application, which was great because I heard back in January I think that I got in.

The professors are, for the most part, amazing and really well versed in their work. There is very little competitiveness with others and most seem to just want to do the best for themselves. There is a lot of cooperation as well as projects where we work together. I was able to be a research assistance for two professors, a teaching assistant for civil procedure, and participate in the Poverty Law Clinic. The abroad opportunities are amazing because of the coop program- you can do a coop anywhere in the world (my colleague is currently in India). The grading involves detailed evaluations of your work, which can lead to confusing transcripts but gives a much better idea of your capabilities, strengths and weaknesses. I believe all schools should grade this way. NUSL focuses on practical study but has a great dose of theory as well. The queer theory is particularly strong.

There were unique essays. I applied and received the Public Interest Scholarship, which was 3/4 tuition at the time but is now full. I also participated in the admissions process after matriculation because the administration has students review applications and make recommendations, although the final decision is up to the admissions department. They truly value student input.