“Alumni Review”
January 2018FORMER STUDENT

Great alumni relations and a concerted effort from the faculty to help the students. If you put the effort, faculty will do everything in their power to assist.

Could have better career placements in the corporate/transactional sector – they've made a push in this direction but litigation is still the school's bread and butter.

Comments

Great reputation in Chicago market. If you plan on sticking around, Loyola is hands down the best program outside of the two elite schools in town for career placement and overall education received.

“Great School with Great People”
August 2015CURRENT STUDENT

The faculty and staff are usually willing to go the extra mile for you if you just ask. Granted, some are better than others; but as a general rule, they are very helpful. I also feel that it is easy to stand out if you work diligently. There are many opportunities to get involved in student organizations and a great alumni network.

It is not T14, but it is still a great school. Every school will have above and below average students. The above average students are generally right on line with what I have seen at other schools that are higher ranked. Many of these chose to attend for economic reasons. However, some of the below average students can cause classes to be taught at a somewhat lower level. On the bright side, this helps with the curve.

Comments

This is a great school for someone who wants a great education without dealing with an overly competitive environment. Students and staff alike are very welcoming and willing to help. I would definitely describe the environment as cooperative.

“Loyola Law”
April 2015FORMER STUDENT

Faculty is knowledgeable and engaged; diverse student body; facilities are nice.

Career services could use some improvements but the folks I worked with generally were helpful.

Comments

The school has an extensive alumni network which can be helpful if you want to practice law in Chicago.

My professors have included a number of nationally respected academics, and they have all been highly approachable and focused on student learning. Additionally, Loyola provides a 2L 'tutor' for each of the major 1L courses. While much of the 1L curriculum is focused on theory, I found the year-long required writing course provided an intensive and structured approach to the development of my legal writing skills. The overall 1L class is divided into three sections. Each section takes classes separate from the other sections, allowing for a smaller feel within the larger incoming class. Most professors were fairly relaxed about the Socratic method but were quick to turn to it when the class seemed unresponsive. This summer I'll be traveling to Beijing for Loyola's study abroad program, and a number of my friends are taking advantage of Loyola's program in Rome.

Loyola Law is in the heart of downtown Chicago just a few steps off the Magnificent Mile. I love it. Affordable housing is easily available a short commute from campus, though housing in walking distance tends to be pricier (it's Chicago afterall). The school consistently puts money into upgrading facilities, for instance opening this year a gorgeous two-story moot courtroom overlooking the city of Chicago. Chicago has a great bar scene, and the SBA plans 'Bar Review' every Thursday. Students are academically focus, but not cut-throat, the school in general has a positive community vibe.

Admission to Loyola included fairly standard application questions in combination with LSAT scores.

Class sizes are larger than I had thought, but there is more cooperation than competeitveness; the professors expect much from students but this IS law school; the quality of classes and professors is very high - professors care about academic work as well as personal life. A very positive atmosphere that takes a little of the stress off.

Library and Computer labs are very comfortable and conducive to studying; there are a lot of a students but it remains quiet and a positive work atmosphere - same with computer labs;

Basic application: Form app, personal statement, Transcripts, Letters of Rec; easy through the LSDAS database. Did not apply for scholarships but was given one.

Very satisfied with health law program; about what i expected in terms of core courses.

Generally, the cost of living is very high

Very comprehensive!

The application process was very straight forward. I applied through LSAC/LSDAS. Because I submitted the application online, the fee was waived. The essays were generic law school essays. The one unique aspect that I encountered was being asked to justify my LSAT scores because I had a discrepancy of greater than 4 points between two exams. Likewise, the office of admissions gives out scholarships based on applications without any additional applications.