“Great Practical Training”
November 2018FORMER STUDENT

Great legal writing program. The intellectual property program is top notch.

Like most schools outside of the t14, it can be challenging to find a biglaw job, if that’s what you’re looking for.

Comments

There are great opportunities to connect with alumni to help with informational interviews or just give general career guidance.

“Average Law School with some pros and cons”
November 2017FORMER STUDENT

Legal Writing, interesting and practical elective courses, and smart professors

Career services, large class size, school's brand and reputation in the legal community

Comments

You need to receive really good grades and a high GPA during your first year of law school. Obtaining great grades during your second and third year of law school will only marginally change your GPA, even if you get straight A's.

There are a wide range of teaching techniques utilized per class, depending on the professor. Most classes are taught socratically, with the addition of practical hypos. The 1L class sizes are about 70 people, but very manageable. No one is lost in the crowd.

In the heart of Chicago, the school is safe and students enjoy studying together in group rooms.

Required a personal statement in addition to a decently high LSAT score.

overall good

overall good

Toefl, resume

In my feeling, Chicago-Kent is really a good place for practice lawyer to study. They (the Professors in Chicago-Kent) always tell you the things not only the theory but also the remedies in practice, and most of them all have the well expriences in specific legal areas. My program is Financial Services Law, I am really enjoyed in my study here. But they have a strict grades, so you should study harder to get a good grades or you may fell. And when you already be the student of Chicago-Kent, you may have other good opportunities to go study in other Countries, like China.

I am living at Chicago downtown because law school of IIT- Chicago-Kent is in downtown. That's really wonderful time for me. I have good view of the Lake Mishigan, and the city is also beautiful, activities. There are lots of best restaurants and bars around. However, as a student of law school in the US, the most time of mine is in the Library. The library of Chicago-Kent is the best place to study, you will feel the great when you see all of the books. And the stuff there were very kindly to give you any suggestions what you asked. Overall, I love to stay here, fell safety, peaceful, and hopeful.

I have had unique application questions, submitted my personal essays, law school transcripts(LL.B). Because of my program is LL.M, so only TOEFL score is required no LSAT, application process including have at least two person to give recommended letters, and because I am a practice lawyer in China, so there is a law firm approvle letter needed. For financial aid and scholarship opportunities, Chicago-Kent has give me a good chance for the first semester (almost 10 thousand dollars) and a discount for the second semester.

Other

Our school's faculty is extremely competent and accessible. We have, however, had an experimental first-year doctrinal class, Legislation, which I feel didn't have enough depth to justify it.

The admissions process was fairly standard and simple through LSAC.

Lots of practical classes, clinics, externships, and practicums. Socratic method is the principal method used 1L year; is used to a certain extent in some upper level classes, but some upper level classes are lecture or practical, not Socratic.

Academic advising is non-existant.

Class sizes range from 100 people in large classes to a few people in really small classes. Legal writing classes don't have more than 25 or 30 students.

Required classes curve (excluding legal writing, professional responsibility, and seminars) is curved to a B with no percentage required below a C. Recommended curve applies to all other courses with more than 40 students and is curved to a B/B- with no percentage required below a B-.

Most of the professors at this school do not use the Socratic Method, or if they do they do a "friendly" version of it. The students are not competative with each other. The grading is on a B curve, so most of the students get B-, B, and B+. The workload is intense first year, however, the other two years are only as intense as yuo make them. I feel like there is a good balance between theory and practice at Chicago-Kent. Not only do the professors add a lot of practical tips to the lecture classes, but there are a lot of practical classes - including a top rating legal writing program, trial advocacy program, moot court, and a fantastic clinical program. I feel like I not only understand the theory, but that I am well on my way to being able to apply my skills in a real world setting.

we are located in Chicago, which is probably the greatest city on earth. But the cost of living is high. The computer labs are terrible, teh moot courtroom is amazing, there is no on campus housing, but overall it is a very good quality of life.

Chicago-Kent seems to offer a lot of scholarship opportunities to incoming students. The application process was not unlike every other school I applied to, however, the application was free.

The first year is all large lectures taught using the Socratic method, with the exception of legal writing. The second and third years, there are lots of opportunities to do clinical work and externships, as well as pursue seminars and electives. The school has a recommended set of courses for bar prep, which students are highly encouraged to follow. The faculty at this school is amazing - much more available to students than my undergraduate college (which was in the Ivy League).

I live with my parents, so can't comment on COL. The school is very modern - probably the most modern out of all the Chicago law schools. It's hard-wired for LAN cables and there's wireless internet throughout. The library is very pleasant and the reference librarians are AWESOME (not like some schools, from what i hear).

Submitted LSATs, undergrad transcript, general essay. Received a $20,000 renewable merit scholarship tied to my GPA. From what I understand, the percentage of incoming students receiving such scholarships is in the neighborhood of 50%. Wish I had known about the Honors Scholars program when I applied. It's a full ride + stipend, but there's a separate application process.

Overall, the level of instruction makes for a quality education. Occasionally class discussions get a little more academic/theoretical than is absolutely necessary. The Socratic method is used variably. Some instructors use it in its purest form, while others run class entirely on a volunteer basis. Many if not most fall somewhere between the two extremes. While everyone knows they are in competition with one another, few students actually act that way. There is a general willingness to help out classmates when needed because everyone understands that we are not only classmates now, but will be colleagues in the future.

The school does not have residential facilities for its law students. The school has a suggested housing partner not far from campus, a partnership that anyone who lives there would suggest the school abandon. The building is essentially a dorm, full of undergrads partying loudly all nights of the week. Additionally, the management of the building have apparently overcharged students for utilities; when students asked for a breakdown of their charges (as produced by the utility company), management was unable to provide any numbers that resembled those they had charged their residents. The only reflection this has on the school, however, is in the school's continued partnership with the apartment complex. Personally, I live in a neighborhood a few miles north of the school and couldn't be happier.

The school seems pretty generous when it comes to scholarships, at least for students above the median.