“Fordham law”
October 2015CURRENT STUDENT

New building is extremely nice. Convenient location. Professors generally helpful.

Employment prospects limited to top half of class and New York City.

Comments

Decent value on scholarship and/or with free housing in New York. Would not recommend paying sticker via loans.

The 1L professors almost exclusively use Socratic method as the ritualistic hazing that is supposed to somehow harden us into lawyers down the road. The 1L professors are generally fine. The criminal law professor, I learned thanks to her class, was probably criminally insane. Class sizes ranging from 40-80 people for 1L classes was a bit large, encouraging only the gunners to speak up. My 1L section was particularly competitive. In terms of general competitive, all students work hard but none are so cutthroat as to sabotage another student. The 2L and 3L classes have great professors. The Socratic method, thankfully, is abandoned by then. The clinic offerings are fantastic, providing real-world legal experience opportunities. The workload, while tough, is very manageable. Fordham's grading can also be a bit tough, but that varies by professor. Study abroad opportunities exist for those who want them, but at the law school level, I don't know if I think it's necessary.

Cost of living in NYC is very expensive. But, the facilities are fine. People hang out in the cafeteria, go to restaurants in the fantastic Upper West Side neighborhood (occasionally) go to concerts and shows. The area is very safe, and life outside of school is great. In school, the library is just okay; not bad, not good. The moot courtroom could use some modernizing. The cafeteria food is also terrible, thanks to the larger Fordham University contract with Sodexo. Sometimes when you need to eat in a rush, the only viable option is the $2 Smuckers PB&J Uncrustable sandwich as opposed to the bad Sodexo sandwiches or the jacked-up-in-price-and-not-filling outsourced Kosher sandwiches.

Fordham can be a bit stingy with the financial aid and scholarships.

Very pleasant professors and students. Study abroad opportunities, balance of theory and practical studies. small class sizes for the classes I took. competitive.

Great qualify of life...excellent moot court organisation, safe campus, lovely people and environment.

i went on scholarship which was an easier process i guess

I think it's a nice balance between theory and practice. There's also a good mix of older and younger faculty.

The facilities are terrible, but they're building a new law school building.

The admissions process was basically the same as every other school's application on LSAC.

Quality of professors is hit-or-miss. I had a couple of great professors along with some awful ones. Academic advising is practically nonexistent. Class sizes first year are big. Competitiveness - well, it's a law school, so of course everyone is looking to see how they measure to everyone else. All the interesting classes seemed to be offered at the same time and some of the classes fill up really fast (like trusts & estates). I was surprised that given the large student body, more courses weren't offered for the same subject. Workload is typical of a law school.

QLC is pretty disappointing given that it's a private school and you're paying a lot of money in tuition. Public computers and classrooms were subpar (the mouse fell apart while I was using it!), with the exception of one or two classrooms. The cafeteria is overpriced and offers poor quality food. NYC is expensive and so is cost of living and housing. They are building a new building so maybe things will be better there.

Some professors are nice but incredibly boring; others teach an interesting topic but have such awful personalities that it affects the quality of the class. A significant number of professors are young, new teachers who don't know how to run a class and really made many students lose interest.

Tuition is out of control. Fellow students are great, though.

Financial aid process seemed arbitrary. If you fought hard for it, they seemed to give you some. I didn't get any despite my efforts, even though I'm independent and am paying my own way.

The quality of classes in my first has varied significantly. Most professors employed the socratic method (one bastardized it.) Class sizes were mostly in the 70's, one had about 30 students. The legal writing/ legal research prep was mostly done on an independent study basis. The very few in class sessions were weak. Thankfully, we have excellent library assistants who are more than willing to help you locate a resource. The students are very competitive, forming study groups early on, hoarding outside resources (such as professor exams acquired from other schools), but cordial outside of the classroom. Grading seems a bit arbitrary. Study abroad opportunities are amazing - I'll be in Ireland this summer.

The facilities are reminiscent of a poorly funded inner city middle school.. but the people are wonderful.

Academic advising seems nonexistent which is unfortunate. The professors are a real mix--some are amazing and some are really awful, and appear to not even like teaching. Most classes you get back what you put in, so it is up to you. Class sizes are fine. Most people seem competitive with themselves, rather than each other, which is nice. There are always a few crazies though, but that seems typical for law school. Study abroad opportunities are great, and things like the Leitner Center and Stein Scholars offer great opportunities--for example my roommate went to Sierra Leone for free as part of her clinical work.

Cost of living is expensive since it is New York City. The dorm is pretty good and a good size. I like the library since it receives some natural light. The campus itself is currently a little small, but an expansion is in the works. The neighborhood is great, offers a lot, feels safe. Overall I'm happy.

The admissions process seemed standard. I wish there was more financial aid available.

quality of education seems average, but I have no frame of reference.

facilities are pretty bad, but there will be a new building in a couple of years. I don't care either way.

LSAT/GPA seem to be only deciding factors. Little merit aid awarded but need based aid seems to be adequate

Traditional law school model, minus the socratic method. One final at the end of the term determines your entire grade.

High stress. Close community 1L year. Not so close after that.