“Good School if You are at the Top”
September 2017CURRENT STUDENT

Great Intellectual Property department and growing!! Lots and lots of opportunities for those interested in IP/Patent Law with a great Director of IP.

If you are not at the top of your class it can be difficult to get a job in Big Law. If you don't care about going into Big Law then you should be fine. The career services office needs improvement--need to better your OCI's for those who are in the top 10%..... it was slim pickings.

Comments

Work hard and if you're in the top 15-20% you'll do great!!!

“Good Chicago Law School”
June 2015FORMER STUDENT

DePaul had a lot of great teachers and I felt like I learned a lot while I was there.

DePaul doesn't have a ton of prestige compared to Northwestern or University of Chicago, for example, and that can make a big difference when looking for a job after graduation.

Comments

If you are looking to practice law in Chicago, but can't get into NW or Univ. of Chicago, then DePaul is a quality alternative.

The classes have all been top-notch in terms of quality and there is a good balance between Socratic method and allowing students the opportunity to volunteer. Study abroad opportunities are plentiful and involve many great trips for students to learn a vast amount about international law and participate in human rights practicum.

Overall, DePaul law students are very happy, the cost of living can be quite reasonable if you live a few minutes train ride away from the downtown campus, the moot courtroom is exceptional, housing options are plentiful, dining is incredible, and many areas that DePaul students choose to live are extremely safe.

The admissions process is very unique in terms of questions/essays. Also, the school offers many scholarships and financial aid opportunities for its students.

Mainly Socratic Method. Class size varies from around 5-90 students per class.

DePaul allowed students to attach adversity addendum to their application to add anything we wanted the school to know and be considered for scholarships for.

Everyone expects that law school will be difficult, but nobody expects that they will enjoy the courses. I have been most impressed with the faculty. They are knowledgable and respected in their areas of specialty, and they care about students. If a student is interested in a certain professor, there are willing to devote time and energy to help that student with course work or external opportunities.

The campus is downtown Chicago. Attending law school in an urban environment helps put law in context. Living and studying in a large city exposes students to the many relationships shaped by the law. This type of environment puts law in context; it allows students to experience more law.

The admissions process and requirements are exactly the same as other schools. They require a personal statement, resume, undergraduate transcript, ect. DePaul has one of the faster admission turn around times.

I did not expect to be so impressed with the faculty at DePaul. At any school, incoming students know that the subject matter is difficult and the socratic method is terrifying. But at DePaul, I felt like the professors were teaching first and instilling fear second. Though professors may be intimidating, I have always felt like they want me to arrive at the right answer. I also appreciate how professors tie the substantive and theoretical aspects of law back to fairness and justice. The cases we study do not exist in a bubble; rather, they have real consequences. It is refreshing to have professors who do not loose sight of that.

DePaul offers many opportunities for students to specialize in topics they are interested in. Law is a diverse field, so students who are interested in a specific area can specialize through seminars, clinics, and journals. Clinics offer students the opportunity to gain experience working on actual cases. Seminars and journals offer the opportunity to publish an article, which requires that the student become an expert on the topic they write on. Even if a student does not have a particular area of interest, these programs provide an opportunity to become familiar with an area of law.

Chicago is a great city to live in. DePaul law school is centrally located downtown, which makes it accessible from any direction. Accordingly, students enjoy choice in where they live.

The building itself has a "law" look about it. There is plenty of wood grain and intricate finishing detail. The building is old, but the school has been in the process of updating for the past few years. The essential facilities like the library, student lounge, student organization offices, and classrooms are in good shape.

DePaul's admission process is similar to most schools. When I applied, they required letters of recommendation, an undergraduate transcript, a personal statement, LSAT score, and a resume. Recently, the process has been moved online. This was implemented before I applied, but I can assume it was for administrative efficiency. Even though I applied before online applications, the turnaround time was faster than any other school I applied to.

There is a good balance of theory and practical courses. I personally prefer practical study courses and there are plenty of them to fill my schedule. While class sizes are fairly large, it was easy to meet people the first year because all of my classes, except legal writing, had the same students in it. The school also offers several unique academic programs including Art Law and Aviation Law, both of which I have been informed are outstanding from other students (I have not taken these classes myself). There are significant study abroad opportunities. While the students are competitive in the sense that each student strives to get the best grade, we do not do so by attempting to stifle others' ability to study, and the students generally have a good report with each other.

It is expensive to live and attend school in Chicago. Certain expenses are lower, like gas because I use school subsidized public transit to travel too and from school, but for the most part my expenses have risen considerably since living in a much smaller city during undergrad. The facilities need some updating, but I believe the classrooms are being remodeled over the summer. The student lounge is amazing and the Library is well organized and clean. The school's neighborhood is pretty nice because it's in downtown Chicago and the crime rate for the most part is low, partially because law facilities that are not classrooms are not easily accessible to people other than law students, faculty, and staff. Students, in general, seem quite happy at DePaul. I think that is mostly because of the friendly environment and good report among students. I have a large group of friends among my fellow students and am amiable with a large part of the student body. Students frequently offer semi-strangers advice regarding professors, courses, and general non-law related questions.

The school requires students to take the LSAT and write an application essay, but takes a lot of factors into consideration in determining admission. Such factors include GPA, LSAT score, undergraduate degree, any graduate degrees and personal factors. I did not attend graduate school and was still accepted. I also received a significant academic scholarship without any additional application.

I thought the classes were outstanding. The Professors were brilliant and a pleasure to learn from. I once received a C from a Professor, but still counted that class among my favorites, given how much I'd learned. Socratic method is common practice. Class size for bar classes is about 60-80. Practice-based classes are about 10-20 in size. Grading on a curve. Lots of study abroad opportunities.

Cost of living is high, but I enjoyed Chicago a great deal. Facilities were great and it was very safe. I couldn't have been happier with my choice.

Complete application, LSAT, essay, LSAC/LSDAS

The quality of classes is excellent. Many courses during the first year focus on theory, but the professors have all practiced law and some practice and teach simultaneously, so there are rarely moments where practical study is not brought into the daily lessons and lectures. The Socratic method is used in almost all classes. Class sizes are just right, around 80 people/doctrinal classes and 15 for legal writing. The school offers a plethora or externship, research, clinic, independent study, teaching assistantship, and study abroad opportunities. The faculty are friendly and always available for questions. The workload is heavy with a major focus on case reading, but it is comparable to other schools and not unexpected for law school. Grading is on a curve with the 1L year being notoriously more difficult than the 2L and 3L years.

Cost of living is pricey, but if you look hard enough, you can find affordable housing in the suburbs around the school. I would say the majority of students live in Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wrigleyville, and Old Town. Downtown living costs are much higher, but students are given a CTA pass, making public transportation an easy and fast way to get to school and around the city. The law school is located downtown in the middle of the business district, just blocks from the Willis (Sears) Tower. Computer labs are always open with computers available, legal research printing is free, the library staff is helpful, the school is monitored by security, and the overall atmosphere is very positive.

The application did ask if there was a specific field of law that I was interested in, we had to write a personal statement, provide our LSAT score, and could apply through LSAC. Financial aid was not offered until after acceptance. They also informed us after we were accepted if we were accepted into a specialized legal writing class in conjunction with the field of law we were interested in on our application. Some fields of law, like family law, do offer scholarships.

The classes I've taken here would receive mixed reviews, but I've had very few classes that were exceptionally bad. The good classes I've had were truly amazing, particularly in the areas of international law and public interest law. I think the first year curriculum is fair and the professors do a good job of helping students adjust to the tactics of law school. Individual professors tell you up front whether they use the Socratic method or not, so at least you know what you're getting into. I've had wonderful research opportunities here and as a result I've been able to develop strong relationships with a few professors. The study abroad opportunities are varied, as they cover the entire world, and I like how the programs each have their own focus. Grading on the curve typically doesn't bother me but I think it's a real disadvantage in legal writing classes because a curved grade doesn't let you know how strong or weak your skills actually are. The workload is manageable so long as you don't waste time. I would say that the worst classes at DePaul are the legal writing classes, but this varies significantly depending on the professor. I feel like I learned basic skills in my first year of legal writing, and my professor is such a wonderful person that I now work for her and love it. However, my third semester of legal writing was a waste of time. I learned nothing from my professor that I couldn't have learned by simply reading a couple of handouts. My professor also couldn't have cared less about us, and she made it very clear that she did not want to be there with us. I have never had such a worthless class, but on the other hand I've heard a lot of people with different professors say that they learned more in LARC III than they did in their entire first year of legal writing. No one who had my professor feels that way though.

I don't live on campus so I can't speak to that. However, I find that DePaul's campus needs some updating but the new facilities, such as the 2nd floor lounge, show just how much potential we have for growth. The library is in excellent shape and it contains pretty much anything that a law student could ever need. While I've heard of instances of on-campus crime, I've never gotten the impression that it's particularly rampant. My one complaint about on-campus life is the cost of printing and photocopying. Last year our printing was free, and this year we have to pay ten cents per page to print. This is incredibly steep given how much law students need to print things, and the school has done nothing about furthering a student suggestion to distribute pre-loaded printing cards to all law students. The increase in printing costs just seems greedy, and we pay enough in tuition to this school as it is.

Honestly I don't remember much about the admissions process at DePaul, which means that there were no unique application questions but I also didn't have any problems with DePaul. One thing I really appreciated was DePaul's inclusion of your scholarship offers in your initial letter of admission. I had to wait to hear about my scholarship offers for a long time with other schools, but with DePaul I knew right away. I also know that the application was free on LSAC, and as I applied to twenty law schools I appreciated that financial break.