“Decent Night School”
October 2017FORMER STUDENT

I liked that they had a night program with at least some of the staff actually practicing in their respective fields, but those were few and far between.

I disliked the cost and the, at times, schizophrenic scheduling, seemingly at the whim of the assistant dean. Whether this has been remedied or not I am unaware, but as a night student with limited time, it was difficult.

Comments

If you are looking for a night program, this is the only one in town. You will get out of it exactly what you put into it, but the professors are all very accommodating of night students' schedules. That does not mean the work is any easier, but I never had a professor show up to teach who was burned out from the day.

Classes are great. Socratic method is used in a variety of ways (depending on teacher). Professors Gilles and Hirsch are great.

The classes are wonderful, and almost every professor I have had is wonderful and seems to really enjoy teaching. The classes are a good mix of theory and practical application. The Socratic method is somewhat used, but most professors really use a modified method, so it isn't so harsh.

no on campus facilities at the law school

LSAT required, essays required. Application process was pretty simple and straight forward. I'm not sure how selective the school is for the day program because I initially came in as an evening student and then switched divisions. The most difficult part of the application process was the LSAC process, and obtaining my undergraduate transcripts.

Our faculty to have proved to be amazing so far. They remember everyone's names which gives everyone a more personal feeling. The Faculty genuinely want their students to do well and are very accessible outside of class. That being said, they expect you to do all of they work and can be harsh graders.

The school has an extremely friendly and welcoming environment. The students are all competitive, but they are not cut-throat. Everyone wants to see everyone else succeed.

I always feel safe at school. There are lots of security guards around that are willing to help out with everything. Most of the doors remain locked throughout the day and require an ID to get inside.

The Socratic method is used primarily in doctrinal classes. Students have a great deal of access to professors, as well as academic advisors and upper class student advisors. Overall, the environment is formulated for the student to succeed.

Again, as a part time evening student, I do not normally participate in many extra-curricular activites, but the events that I have attended have been outstanding. There is a strong sense of community between the students. With regard to the communit, there is a tremendous amount of outreach to the city of Coumbus, between the legal clinic, national adoption and family law center, and other pro-bono opportunities.

I only applied to one law school, so have no basis for comparison. I completed a basic application, as well as an application specific to Capital. The application included an essay, as well as transcripts from all prior graduate and undergraduate universities. The application was filed through LSAC.

Most classes are high quality. They are taught with the Socratic method with the level of practical study depending on the professor. Some professors are purely theoretical while others teach mostly practical study. Our class is small with about 15 people. The grading is easy. It could definitely stand to be more rigerous but is weeding out people.

Application, essay on why you want to be a paralegal, interview with the assistant program director

Other

Capital has a strong emphasis on practical study, which makes us more competitive bcecause we can jump in and start working the first day.

I would like to see our school paint the walls of the classrooms, make improvements, etc. I think our school looks a little run down. Other than that, it is good.

I don't really recall, I know I had essays, questions, LSAT.

The quality of class could not be better. Every professor I've had knows how to relate to students in and out of class, and the Socratic method is used significantly but apporpirately. The class sizes range from medium (70) to small (20) and has a great adademci advising department.

My quality of life is excellent as I live in apartments right across the street from Capital. No driving and great time saver.

The faculty has been exceptional. All professors I have had are extremely accessible through office hours as well as being able to stop by their office anytime throughout the day. The faculty is always willing to help; both professors and administrative faculty. While some professors teach strictly by the Socratic method, there other professors who do not or who use it in a modified version. Each professors teaching style is unique; while some classes have a greater focus on practical study, others focus more on theory. Overall, no matter how the class is taught the quality has been excellent. The class sizes for most 1L classes is larger: averaging around 100 students but the size does not seem to be too large. The school also has a "small section" class for 1Ls during their first semester which is extremely helpful as you learn a great deal of basic information, as well as the substantive law, that is useful in other classes. Also, the small sections allow more one on one focus which is helpful during a student's first semesetr.

The school is open 24/7 and has at least one security guard on duty at anytime. The building is located in downtown however the front doors are always kept locked and are only accessible my students and faculty with an ID. Therefore, visitors must enter through the back where the security guard is located. This makes the overall safety and accessibility of the school excellent. While the school is located in downtown, it is overall very safe and the crime directly surrounding the school is minimal. The school has a library that is accessible 24/7 which is convenient and has many floors and different rooms ranging from ones where talking is allowed to rooms that exclude computers and are for complete silence only. The school also includes a cafe that is open for day students and caters to evening students by ordering ahead. Overall, the quality of life at the school is excellent.

Admission process included a standard application and LSAT scores as well as an undergraduate transcript. The school also required unique essays and submission of a resume. When applying information regarding financial aid and scholarships was available.

Excellent.

Despite being located in a ghetto, it's quite nice.

Pretty standard.