“Good Regional Law School”
May 2019FORMER STUDENT

Practical experience, great clinical programs, small class size, and having a faculty and staff that genuinely care about student success.

The Campbell name doesn't carry far beyond North Carolina and there is not an emphasis on labor and employment or other business-type law.

Comments

If financial aid is an issue, ask the admissions office because they usually have scholarships to spare.

“$150,000 for 50/50 shot at making under 60k per year”
May 2019FORMER STUDENT

good location in Raleigh, facilities are top notch (they should be considering the price)

this is mostly hindsight...but...the school is self aggrandizing...to the point that grads making 40k per year 5 years after passing the bar will not speak out about the schools scam practices.

Comments

Campbell Median LSAT, tuition, and previous graduating classes' FT-LT-Bar required employment percentage over 8 years

2011 -- 156--$33,910--68% (no bar passage variable)

2012 -- 154--$35,340--71%

2013 -- 152--$37,060--68%

2014 -- 152--$38,645--56%

2015 -- 152--$39,475--60%

2016 -- 153--$39,300--50%

2017 -- 152--$39,900--50%

2018 -- 152--$41,130--63%

2019 -- N/A--$42,600--50%

Campbell's law school is reducing admissions expectations which is leading to poor employment outcomes. All the while raising tuition every single year (except for 2016, thanks for that $175 discount...I am sure students appreciated that 75% of a textbook). This tuition increase occurs in spite of data that does not support any increase in the value of a Campbell legal education.

The professors require a lot of the students. But then, our students consistently rank at #1 on the bar passage rate. We aren't allowed to take our exams "open book" like other law school. We have to know it from memory. It's a weeding out process. We've lost around 15+ people from my class since 1L year.

Good

I came in through the Performanced Based Admissions Programs (PBAP). It was a great experience. Out of a total of 55+ candidates, only 10 of us made it through the program. It had the added benefit of giving us a jump on all of those who were admitted under regular admissions. I'm glad that this is a school which allows prospective students to prove themselves in person, rather than dismissing them based on their appearance on paper.

Practical and mostly socratic, medium to small classes, not competitive, ridiculously hard grading, notable faculty, unmanageable workload

low cost of living, awesome facilities, great community relations, safe, overall way overworked

Very Socratic and extremely competitive. Class size averages around 40 students, some bigger than that if it's a combined class, but some smaller than that, too. Graded on bell curve with median sitting at 82.

No on-campus housing. Brand new facilities--nicer than any law school I've ever seen. Security guards on-site. In the heart of downtown Raleigh, so close to the capitol, NC Supreme Court, and the Wake County courthouse.

Admissions process is pretty standard, but the selectiveness has definitely increased with the school's move to Raleigh.

Socratic method, everyday in almost every class. Practical study is key but also foundation of theory is intertwined.

Quality of classes are great; Practical study is emphasized, but theory is incorporated as well; Class sizes are fairly small (large classes: ~75; small classes: ~15); Grading is anonymous (with few exceptions) and fair; Workload is strenuous and challenging

Cost of living is not too high (Raleigh, NC); Campus is new and very nice; Library is very nice; Two moot courtrooms; NC Business Court, Wake County Division is housed in our law school building; Law school is located in downtown Raleigh; Overall, I am very happy with the school and my choice to attend here

Median LSAT: 156; Median GPA: 3.37; Personal statement required (~2 pages); Personal interviews used to be required (unsure if they still are); Financial aid is available; Scholarship opportunities are available, but only to the top candidates

very competitive, practical, socratice for 1st year, heavy work load

essay, LSAT, resume, application, interviews, financial aid

This is where you want to go if you want to graduate law school trained to be a lawyer! Our curriculum is unique in that the first two years we have all required courses (with opportunities for electives second and third years). Like most law schools we have only one final exam for each class that determines 100% of your final grade (with the exception of legal writing and research for which you have several assignments). Unlike most schools we DO NOT have open book exams, and we have exams for EVERY class. Socratic method is a staple here, especially in the first semester courses. Expect to be drilled by your professors in prepartion for the fiercest judge one might encounter.

They certainly do not give grades away here, grading on a curve for each class on a 7-point scale, 82 being the median. Our faculty is exceptional, having professors who write nationally known treatises on Contracts (Williston) and Property (Webster), with opportunities to work on these treatises to the students in the top of their class.

As far as competition is concerned, I would say it is more individually competitive. I have not seen the cut-throat mentality here that I have heard about at other schools, and I have seen generally that people will go out of their way to help you here.

The application entailed the typical application form, a personal statement about why we decided to come to law school and how we would increase the overall diversity of the school. Additionally I believe the average LSAT was a 156 and the average GPA was a 3.2. Scholarships were given based on the general application, so there was no separate ability to apply for scholarships.

Extremely challenging, a lot of work, practical much more than theoretical, good class size, okay advisement, not competitive, LOTS of great programs, great faculty, great opportunities, etc.

we have the best of all those things in raleigh. brand new awesome facility: library, moot courtrooms (2) dining neighborhood, etc. best location!

GPA, LSAT, Essay, LSAC LSDAS, all the normal things, Campbell is VERY good about giving out scholarship aid/other aid