Boston University School of Law

“BU Law”
March 2020FORMER STUDENT

I appreciated BU Law's efforts to provide students with practical skills through the 1L Lawyering program, externships, and clinics.

As with most major law schools, BU Law struggles to attract and support students from diverse backgrounds. However, the institution (and especially the new Dean) has put serious thought into programming and resources geared toward supporting its diverse population.

Comments

I strongly encourage students to visit the campus, speak with current and former students, and meet with admissions/financial aid professionals in person before applying.

“Great School”
September 2015FORMER STUDENT

The faculty are world-class and truly interested in the students' progress.

The old facilities were cramped, the elevators were slow, and the classrooms were noisy during construction.

Comments

The new building should address the only big knock against the school. It's an excellent option.

“BU Law”
August 2015CURRENT STUDENT

The professors are great, and the school is very supportive of its students.

The students can be very competitive, but everyone is generally nice.

Comments

Great location and employment opportunities, generous with merit-based funding.

Boston University School of Law's greatest asset is its faculty. The faculty are, of course, wonderful scholars in their own right, but each is absolutely dedicated to teaching and students. They continually look for ways to get to know students - through lunches, panels, informal gatherings, school events, etc. This is a student-centered academic experience, but that doesn't mean it lacks rigor. Professors vary in style - I had professors who were purely Socratic and professors who operated wholly on volunteers. I participated int he criminal clinic which offers experience in both defense and prosecution (which is fairly unusual). I also had the invaluable experience of being a professor's research assistant for 1.5 years. The public interest community is robust and growing!

LSAT score is required, as were college transcripts, 3 letters of recommendation, the application, and a couple essays. Nothing stood out as particularly unusual about the application process. I had a few questions and each time I called the admissions office the people were exceedingly helpful.

2009

Professors here love to teach. The clinics are incredible, with more depth than clinical programs at other schools (combination of clinical work and classroom work). Class sizes are rarely very large, and students are very pleasant to each other (while working hard). BU is highly responsive to student criticism of its courses. They have a really good advising program where all 1Ls receive upperclass and faculty advisors.

It's great to be in Boston!

LSAT, I know they read my application because when I was admitted, I received a personal note from the admissions director.

Academics were generally excellent.

2007

Quality is great, faculty are great, Socratic method, classes are either 10-12, 30-40, or 60-70

Facilities are good, neighborhood is great

Personal Statement, LSAT, online application, any extra essays or recommendations you would like to add