Boston University School of Law

“Student”
April 2018FORMER STUDENT

Great professors and study abroad opportunities. I felt like I learned a lot and professors had a focus on teaching.

I thought the career office wasn't really up to par compared to some other law schools. They helped with OCI, but generally couldn't really help. The various clubs/organizations were more informative.

Comments

Take advantage of the various events and clubs--those organizations expose you to various events in Boston and various people that will help you in your career.

“Great school”
March 2017FORMER STUDENT

Excellent young professors who do not just read off of outlines they've had for 20 years.

With the quality of its school and ranking it could do more to place students on the West Coast. Finding a job in Boston, New York and Philly is much easier than LA or SF.

Comments

Previously, one of the biggest downsides of going to BU Law was the facility itself. With new upgrades, it should be back in the top 20 soon.

“Great School”
September 2015FORMER STUDENT

The faculty are world-class and truly interested in the students' progress.

The old facilities were cramped, the elevators were slow, and the classrooms were noisy during construction.

Comments

The new building should address the only big knock against the school. It's an excellent option.

“BUSL”
August 2015CURRENT STUDENT

Heavily geared towards getting students into Big Law and, on the other end of the spectrum, into public interest positions.

Not much attempt to work the middle of the job spectrum - the band between big law or public interest

Comments

Being in Boston itself is a big perk. Visiting firm events, interviewing, etc... are made much easier.

“BU Law”
August 2015CURRENT STUDENT

The professors are great, and the school is very supportive of its students.

The students can be very competitive, but everyone is generally nice.

Comments

Great location and employment opportunities, generous with merit-based funding.

“Great School, Changing with the Legal World”
July 2015FORMER STUDENT

Positive social climate.

Awesome professors.

Great hands on transactional experience (contract drafting, for instance).

Responsive Administration.

The Career Services has gotten noticeably better.

The lack of engaged alumni from the years 1985-2000.

Comments

It's a great school for students seeking to be in Boston or New York, and decent for those seeking to work in California and DC.

“Mostly satisfied”
June 2015CURRENT STUDENT

Nice building, good faciilties, good staff, decent career services office.

While most of the professors are attentive, a few are less than stellar.

Comments

The school seems to have enough reach in the Boston area and major markets that if you get decent enough grades (top third or better), you'll get a job.

Professors here love to teach. The clinics are incredible, with more depth than clinical programs at other schools (combination of clinical work and classroom work). Class sizes are rarely very large, and students are very pleasant to each other (while working hard). BU is highly responsive to student criticism of its courses. They have a really good advising program where all 1Ls receive upperclass and faculty advisors.

It's great to be in Boston!

LSAT, I know they read my application because when I was admitted, I received a personal note from the admissions director.

Boston University School of Law's greatest asset is its faculty. The faculty are, of course, wonderful scholars in their own right, but each is absolutely dedicated to teaching and students. They continually look for ways to get to know students - through lunches, panels, informal gatherings, school events, etc. This is a student-centered academic experience, but that doesn't mean it lacks rigor. Professors vary in style - I had professors who were purely Socratic and professors who operated wholly on volunteers. I participated int he criminal clinic which offers experience in both defense and prosecution (which is fairly unusual). I also had the invaluable experience of being a professor's research assistant for 1.5 years. The public interest community is robust and growing!

LSAT score is required, as were college transcripts, 3 letters of recommendation, the application, and a couple essays. Nothing stood out as particularly unusual about the application process. I had a few questions and each time I called the admissions office the people were exceedingly helpful.

2009

Socratic method, range of theory and practice, students aren't very competitive with each other. The environment is collaborative. The clinics are phenomenal. Profs have discretion when setting the curve for their class and many set it high, providing for the maximum number of As in the class. Fantastic faculty.