Boston University School of Law

“2L”
March 2020FORMER STUDENT

High quality of classes; emphasis on doctrine and theory; varied use of Socratic method based on the professor's style; advising should be sought out by students; class sizes are varied; larger classes are more competitive; average workload; lots of international opportunities.

Cost of living is low in the midwest, everything is close to campus, very collegial atmosphere.

Comments

Questions are standards on the applications; LSAT range is high 160s/low 170s; the process also takes into consideration the candidate as a whole, their background and what they could bring to the law school

“Quality of classes: outstanding. All all teachers are humanistic, enthusiastic, practical, clear, inspired, brilliant, fun, kind. <br/>Competitiveness: Students work hard, absorb the strain of the curve in a down economy well, without projecting hostility towards classmates via unproductive competitive/alpha attitudes. They display curiosity and engage their developing knowledge and interests in thoughtful conversations in the hallways, dining halls, etc. It's the kind of place where students will volunteer their notes if you have to miss a class. <br/>Class sizes: 1L were mainly 100-person classes, which does not feel big. 1 class was 40. <br/>Sure, it's a top school and it has notable faculty. Personally, I don't believe this speaks to a school's quality of teaching, but rather it's scholarship and prestige. <br/>There are study-abroad opportunities, though I haven't looked into them, so I can't elaborate. <br/>Socratic Method: Yes. All teachers used it in 1L to varying degrees. Some use it exclusively, most use it half the time, a couple used it infrequently. The SM provides a good incentive to read extremely carefully.<br/>There are literally dozens of helpful meetings throughout the year to help students determine what courses or focus they might wish to pursue.”
April 2018FORMER STUDENT

Great professors and study abroad opportunities. I felt like I learned a lot and professors had a focus on teaching.

COL is cheaper than a big city due to small-town locale. The gym, pool, jogging parks, computer labs, library, moot court, etc... are all excellent. The English Gothic campus is gorgeous. Plenty of variety in restaurants. We'd get occasional emails alerting us to robberies around campus... I assume this is typical of a large university, I don't know.

Comments

Standard in terms of materials required for admission. However, I and many us noted amongst ourselves that the Dean of Admissions is particularly unique. She (Dean Zearfoss) goes above and beyond to communicate with the prospective students she is interested in admitting. Being married and living in a different state, for example, I had particular concerns about going to Michigan and she made every effort to help guide my decision. She also made every effort to ensure I'd attend certain Michigan Law events and discuss whatever concerns I had in person. Once I arrived at the university, Dean Zearfoss had lunch with me and many others and would occasionally check in and discuss or give feedback on opportunities we might be interested in (alumni connections, internship possibilities, ideas for journal notes, etc). She genuinely loves her work and that is amply evident.

“2L”
March 2017FORMER STUDENT

Professors are all high caliber and have a diverse background. Some have extensive research backgrounds, others have extensive practical experience (especially professors who lead clinics and teach courses like contracts and evidence). Some of the best classes are practicums that are run by current judges and/or federal prosecutors because they expose students to practical experience. The legal writing program is exceptional especially Professor Falon's class who really takes extreme care to teach students to write well and with precision necessary for the legal profession.

The law quad was great for me because I was new to Ann Arbor, Michigan and law school. The law school food is fine in the dormitory area and very convenient. I lived off campus my 2L and 3L years but they were close to the law school and I always felt safe walking around.

Comments

It is important to have great grades and scores but the admissions office cares deeply that the personal statement, additional statements and the recommendations are very good. I think that they focus on the overall credentials because they realize that many people applying have similar if not identical top grades/LSAT scores.

“Michigan definitely seems to look at all the usual factors in admissions. I found that current students don't talk very much at all about what their LSAT scores or other qualifications were, but based on the few LSAT scores that I did know of among my friends, it seemed like Michigan has slightly broader range in scores among current students than other top schools. The application I remember being pretty straight forward, with the essay questions being fair. I didn't receive financial aid but know that a few of my friends with financial aid offers from other schools were able to easily talk about them with the admissions office and sometimes successfully negotiate a larger aid package than initially offered. I found out about my acceptance for fall semester quite early, which was nice, I remember earlier than most other schools I had applied to.”
September 2015FORMER STUDENT

very theoretical in the standard instruction, however there are amazing clinical options for the practical side. There is a mix of Socratic and other teaching. Grading is similar to other schools, but not gold stars like the Yales of the word.

Highish cost of living, but you are 1 minutes from the school. Ann Arbor is amazing! No crime, amazing cultural opportunities ranging from Shakespeare to midnight showings of The Room. Also, the new building and Lawyers Club upgrades should make this the most modern, yet beautiful campus in America.

Comments

very standard application process

“Standard essay, plus a specialized essay. LSAT score. Used LSAC.”
August 2015CURRENT STUDENT

The Socratic method is definitely still used in all 1L classes as well as in a few upper level classes. Most of my post 1L classes were smaller "seminar-style" classes which were less rigorous than a 1L class but in which the professors were able to bring out enough genuine participation without having to use the Socratic method, which was always much appreciated. I never found Michigan Law to be a competitive place, even during 1L. I was always a collaborative student that shared outlines and studied in groups for exams and found that there was lots of that going on around me. People don't talk about grades I found, except occasionally with friends.

Not much attempt to work the middle of the job spectrum - the band between big law or public interest

Comments

Wonderful! The Lawyer's Club is a perfect place to spend 1L year; a decent cafeteria and great opportunity to make friends with many of your 1L classmates right away. It's also a stone's throw away from the library and classes so you have everything you need! Off campus rent and the cost of living in general in Ann Arbor is very reasonable; you can $600-800ish a month for a nice apartment walking distance to campus and less for a room in a house or anything farther than walking distance. Ann Arbor is a perfect college town so there's lots of great cheap food very close to the law school as well as all nightlife options. I always felt very safe on and off campus.

“The applications essays are quite different from other schools' essays - they seem to ask questions that get more to who an applicant is as an individual, and the essays give you chance to be creative and open. This was not the case with the other top-15 schools I applied to.”
August 2015CURRENT STUDENT

Both theory and practical; probably more theory than a lot of other places have (and most of us were happy with that). Class sizes generally small after the first year. Fairly collaborative/supportive atmosphere as law schools go. Faculty very approachable, supportive, willing to help.

Cost of living is low. Great down, great campus. Small town, so very safe. Easy access to a major airport. School facilities are all very good (and will be better after the ongoing construction, the inconveniences of which were well managed by the administration).

Comments

LSAT, a pretty standard application with a couple essays. No interviews.

“Ann Arbor is great. I had a big and comfortable but also inexpensive studio apartment three blocks from the law school and I stayed there all three years. It's a great campus and a great atmosphere.”
July 2015FORMER STUDENT

Standard difficult law school application process. Long application which at the time included a specific "why do you want to go to Michigan" question. High LSAT scores needed.

I got a lot of practical experience, and this is due to the many opportunities the school offers for practical learning. For instance, I was a student attorney in the general clinic and the human trafficking clinic, and I also worked as a student attorney at an externship at the South African Human Rights Commission.

Perhaps because I am focused on a field of law that doesn't draw too many students (international human rights law), I never felt any competitiveness from other students. It always felt like the students in my classes were supportive of my learning and studies.

Comments

The school has a couple of nice gyms that law students can use, and they are never very crowded. The Law Library is quite nice and spacious, and the computer labs are almost always very free.

“Ann Arbor's cost of living wasn't that high. The school itself is one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen. Michigan definitely has is the most beautiful law school campus of the U.S. schools. Facilities are great. The old library is breathtaking. The new library is unique in its architectural design. The moot courtroom is state-of-the-art. Housing and dining options are plenty. Neighborhood is safe and quiet. The only thing I didn't like about Michigan is that it is rather cold there, and the sky is grey a lot of the times.”
June 2015CURRENT STUDENT

Nice building, good faciilties, good staff, decent career services office.

I remember Michigan had more optional essay questions than other peer schools that I applied to. I took it as a sign that they really are interested in who I was. They also gave me a scholarship to fund my studies.

Comments

As with any school, some of the classes are great and some are satisfactory. But they were all hard at Michigan Law, and I loved it. I became especially close with the people in my small section my 1L year. The Socratic method was used in almost all of my classes, except for the seminars. I did a semester-long externship the first semester of my 3L year and it was fantastic.

Everyone at Michigan Law is smart, but it wasn't the hellish competitive atmosphere that I expected of law school. I have a genuine affection for the people I went to law school with, and I don't think many people can say that. Michigan Law students are 1) very smart, 2) very engaged, and 3) nice and fun to be around.

The lawyers club was great when I lived there, but they are making massive renovations that will make it even better. Significantly so.

Professors here love to teach. The clinics are incredible, with more depth than clinical programs at other schools (combination of clinical work and classroom work). Class sizes are rarely very large, and students are very pleasant to each other (while working hard). BU is highly responsive to student criticism of its courses. They have a really good advising program where all 1Ls receive upperclass and faculty advisors.

I loved Ann Arbor and enjoyed living off-campus all 3 years. The whole town centers around the university which results in a nice atmosphere.

I believe that Michigan's admissions process is truly unique. They go past the seemingly all important, but yet of relatively little value, LSAT scores. The result is a very diverse, interesting, down-to-earth, and incredibly intelligent group of students. I learned not only from my professors but also from my peers. I was impressed at the incredible backgrounds of my peers--doctors, pharmacists, scientists, athletes, parents, artists, ....

Impressive scholarships are also offered which helps add to the mix of students.

Michigan has a wide variety of classes in almost any discipline you can think of, ranging from large classes with professors who focus on theory and love the socratic method to tiny seminars, clinics, and practicums, where students get to engage in actual law practice (from clinic in tax, family law, environmental law, real estate, health law, or corporate work, to practicums in evidence, intellectual property, negotiation, and alternative dispute resolution). Following 1L year, I'd say 25-30% of courses are based on the socratic method.