“A great school not meant for everyone”
February 2020FORMER STUDENT

Good building and good career resources. Big school with well known name and connections. Highly involved on campus.

Students are not the brightest. The school has a good traditional business background, but seems behind in the more technical and quantitative side of business (analytics).

Comments

Network fast and network early. Do your own research and know what you want early so that you are not wasting your time focusing all your energy on undergrad business classes.

“Halfway Decent”
May 2019CURRENT STUDENT

Good network, wonderful guest speakers, Professors teaching the MBA Core Curriculum were very good offering courses packed full of relevant learning.

The nature of the first-year (core) was fast-paced (quarter long classes instead of semesters) and PACKED with content, now that I have almost finished the MBA program I am finding that I have forgotten most of what was taught in the core. There was a ton of overlap in what I learned in the courses I took. I concentrated in marketing and only took marketing classes. Many courses I took spent entire class sessions focusing on subjects which were the entire focus of other classes I had been taking. I regret taking about half of the electives I had chosen. Many of the electives were entirely superficial mainly serving only to familiarize students rather than provide in-depth learning.

Comments

I would avoid taking any dual degree programs from BU. I opted to take part in the MBA + MSDi Dual Degree Program and felt cheated after my $25K investment only returned 4 intensive weeks of technology history, human centered design, extremely basic SQL / Python programming (comparable to what is offered for free online) and a semester long capstone course which taught the lean startup methodology.

“Questrom School of Business”
February 2016CURRENT STUDENT

The professors are amazing with extremely diverse backgrounds coming from around the world (and across the river). Hearing their stories is fascinating and makes the students really interested in the learning process.

The students are highly competitive- as would be expected. Overall though, something to watch out for is the grade deflation. Also the tuition is insane.

Comments

The School of Management offers endless opportunities for students looking to pursue a career in business, whether it be marketing or finance.

Academic programs in the BU MBA are fantastic. The professors blend the case method with their own experience to deliver an elite educational experience.

The cost of living, thanks to location, is expensive. The experience, however, is fantastic. The campus facilities are excellent and contribute to the overall quality of the experience.

The application asks for GMAT scores, all transcripts, four essays, and interviews by invitation only.

Small to mid class sizes allow for personal interaction. The CORE curriculum in undergraduate junior year is an incredible and unique practical experience that is unrivaled - particularly amongst the other business programs I considered at BC, Cornel, Miami and Dartmouth. The practical application and very helpful career center helps to balance of the academics with a sound practical knowledge. BU's international community and study abroad programs is second to none. The workload and grading is challenging but is fair - hard working and bright students will see just rewards.

First year evening students have the option of joining a Cohort, so you are with the same 50 students in first year classes. I thought this was a great way to really get to know everyone in the program and create a network from the beginning. There are great options to study internationally and both part-time and full-time students can participate. The professors are very available for help.

The application was very straight-forward and could be done completely online. The questions on both applicant essays and recommendation forms were more challenging than the other schools to which I applied. They also require an interview for admittance.

Common application, extra essay.

Classes are very well run and nearly all the faculty are superb. Academic advising and career advising are also exceptional. Class sizes are usually about 30 students. Study abroad is excellent and there are many opportunities for students to explore both inside and outside the classroom. Grading can be tough, but the workload is usually manageable and full of case studies and real world examples.

Cost of living if one is to live off campus can be expensive, but the on-campus housing is good and the dining options are phenomenal for a university. Facilities at SMG are exceptional and the library there is also excellent.

The class size is a bit large (55 people) for classes that benefit most from open class discussion like strategy courses. Otherwise, the course offerings are a broad range with many electives to choose from. Many of our faculty also teach at Harvard and MIT, so it's like getting a Harvard education at a discount.

Cost of living is high, campus facilities are great, library is modern and quiet, and the computer labs are very accessible. The library and Starbucks are located within the school of management buildling

Most scholarship money goes to attract international students to increase the diversity ratio, and I believe this is over-emphasized. There are plenty of well-qualified students from the US who would make good candidates for scholarships, but unfortunately are not offered any. Aside from this, it's difficult to learn from international students because more often than not, their low comfort levels of the english language discourage them from actively participating in class. This takes away the value of having open discussion in class.

If you select the cohort option, your first 5 classes (2 fall, 2 spring, 1 summer) are with the same cohort. This creates a great sense of community, especially for us Part Timers who don't spend as much time on campus. Many case studies are used which help drive thorough class discussions (my experience thus far has been that around 70% of case studies are from Harvard).

BU was the only school out of the schools I applied to that asked for an interview. I believe this shows their genuine interest in not only finding good candidates on paper, but also meeting and selecting a diversified student body.