“A great school not meant for everyone”
February 2020FORMER STUDENT

Good building and good career resources. Big school with well known name and connections. Highly involved on campus.

Students are not the brightest. The school has a good traditional business background, but seems behind in the more technical and quantitative side of business (analytics).

Comments

Network fast and network early. Do your own research and know what you want early so that you are not wasting your time focusing all your energy on undergrad business classes.

“Halfway Decent”
May 2019CURRENT STUDENT

Good network, wonderful guest speakers, Professors teaching the MBA Core Curriculum were very good offering courses packed full of relevant learning.

The nature of the first-year (core) was fast-paced (quarter long classes instead of semesters) and PACKED with content, now that I have almost finished the MBA program I am finding that I have forgotten most of what was taught in the core. There was a ton of overlap in what I learned in the courses I took. I concentrated in marketing and only took marketing classes. Many courses I took spent entire class sessions focusing on subjects which were the entire focus of other classes I had been taking. I regret taking about half of the electives I had chosen. Many of the electives were entirely superficial mainly serving only to familiarize students rather than provide in-depth learning.

Comments

I would avoid taking any dual degree programs from BU. I opted to take part in the MBA + MSDi Dual Degree Program and felt cheated after my $25K investment only returned 4 intensive weeks of technology history, human centered design, extremely basic SQL / Python programming (comparable to what is offered for free online) and a semester long capstone course which taught the lean startup methodology.

“Questrom School of Business”
February 2016CURRENT STUDENT

The professors are amazing with extremely diverse backgrounds coming from around the world (and across the river). Hearing their stories is fascinating and makes the students really interested in the learning process.

The students are highly competitive- as would be expected. Overall though, something to watch out for is the grade deflation. Also the tuition is insane.

Comments

The School of Management offers endless opportunities for students looking to pursue a career in business, whether it be marketing or finance.

Small to mid class sizes allow for personal interaction. The CORE curriculum in undergraduate junior year is an incredible and unique practical experience that is unrivaled - particularly amongst the other business programs I considered at BC, Cornel, Miami and Dartmouth. The practical application and very helpful career center helps to balance of the academics with a sound practical knowledge. BU's international community and study abroad programs is second to none. The workload and grading is challenging but is fair - hard working and bright students will see just rewards.

First year evening students have the option of joining a Cohort, so you are with the same 50 students in first year classes. I thought this was a great way to really get to know everyone in the program and create a network from the beginning. There are great options to study internationally and both part-time and full-time students can participate. The professors are very available for help.

The application was very straight-forward and could be done completely online. The questions on both applicant essays and recommendation forms were more challenging than the other schools to which I applied. They also require an interview for admittance.

Academic programs in the BU MBA are fantastic. The professors blend the case method with their own experience to deliver an elite educational experience.

The cost of living, thanks to location, is expensive. The experience, however, is fantastic. The campus facilities are excellent and contribute to the overall quality of the experience.

The application asks for GMAT scores, all transcripts, four essays, and interviews by invitation only.

The faculty at SMG is unmatched. Professors aren't bookworms who couldn't cut it in the business world, but rather professionals and former professionals who have done very well in their respective fields.

The cost of living is fairly high being that the school is located in Kenmore Sq in Boston. The SMG facilities are beautiful, which includes it's own library and computer labs. I look out of my window each day and see the Charles River. The quality of life at BU's SMG is very high.

Electron Application, Essay on why a Boston business school, many financial aid and scholarship opportunities.

Overall the quality of classes is good. There are some large lectures but always broken up into discussion sections that are the perfect. If you have a problem with the class in general all professors are easily accessible and offer office hours or will plan to meet with you if you can't make it to their assigned office hours. The faculty/staff really want you to do well and will do whatever it takes to help.

Awesome Location. Awesome.

great

common application

The quality of SMG classes are phenomenal. The faculty is well versed in the litany of business education and almost all come from professional backgrounds to add real-world knowledge into the classroom. The art, science, and technology of business are all fused in our curriculum, and notable themes of leadership/team-building/presentation-giving skills are reinforced in all classes each year. Study abroad opportunities are endless, and many students capitalize on these offerings (including myself!). Academic advising is decent (not exactly the highest quality), as their philosophy is more hands off and being there for support rather than active guidance. Class sizes are ideal, with unbelievable diversity of racial/ethnic/gender backgrounds. Nearly 20% of our population are international students. Case studies are emphasized, particularly in the strategy course. Grading is relatively fair, as competition is fierce between the premier students. Overall, SMG is by far one of the most underrated undergraduate business programs in this country as it is an unbelievably impressive institution with large financial resources and an outstanding academic student body.

Cost of living is relatively high in Boston. The campus is amazing, set in a great location in a safe neighborhood. The facilities (library/comp labs/housing/dining) are fantastic and state-of-the-art. BU makes a conscious effort to ensure a high quality of all campus facilities. Overall happiness is definitely high, as I don't know any of my friends who are displeased with the BU experience.

The admissions process was straightforward, as it was done through Boston University (the undergraduate business school didn't have its own application).