“Halfway Decent”
May 2019CURRENT STUDENT

Good network, wonderful guest speakers, Professors teaching the MBA Core Curriculum were very good offering courses packed full of relevant learning.

The nature of the first-year (core) was fast-paced (quarter long classes instead of semesters) and PACKED with content, now that I have almost finished the MBA program I am finding that I have forgotten most of what was taught in the core. There was a ton of overlap in what I learned in the courses I took. I concentrated in marketing and only took marketing classes. Many courses I took spent entire class sessions focusing on subjects which were the entire focus of other classes I had been taking. I regret taking about half of the electives I had chosen. Many of the electives were entirely superficial mainly serving only to familiarize students rather than provide in-depth learning.

Comments

I would avoid taking any dual degree programs from BU. I opted to take part in the MBA + MSDi Dual Degree Program and felt cheated after my $25K investment only returned 4 intensive weeks of technology history, human centered design, extremely basic SQL / Python programming (comparable to what is offered for free online) and a semester long capstone course which taught the lean startup methodology.

“Questrom School of Business”
February 2016CURRENT STUDENT

The professors are amazing with extremely diverse backgrounds coming from around the world (and across the river). Hearing their stories is fascinating and makes the students really interested in the learning process.

The students are highly competitive- as would be expected. Overall though, something to watch out for is the grade deflation. Also the tuition is insane.

Comments

The School of Management offers endless opportunities for students looking to pursue a career in business, whether it be marketing or finance.

Academic programs in the BU MBA are fantastic. The professors blend the case method with their own experience to deliver an elite educational experience.

The cost of living, thanks to location, is expensive. The experience, however, is fantastic. The campus facilities are excellent and contribute to the overall quality of the experience.

The application asks for GMAT scores, all transcripts, four essays, and interviews by invitation only.

First year evening students have the option of joining a Cohort, so you are with the same 50 students in first year classes. I thought this was a great way to really get to know everyone in the program and create a network from the beginning. There are great options to study internationally and both part-time and full-time students can participate. The professors are very available for help.

The application was very straight-forward and could be done completely online. The questions on both applicant essays and recommendation forms were more challenging than the other schools to which I applied. They also require an interview for admittance.

Small to mid class sizes allow for personal interaction. The CORE curriculum in undergraduate junior year is an incredible and unique practical experience that is unrivaled - particularly amongst the other business programs I considered at BC, Cornel, Miami and Dartmouth. The practical application and very helpful career center helps to balance of the academics with a sound practical knowledge. BU's international community and study abroad programs is second to none. The workload and grading is challenging but is fair - hard working and bright students will see just rewards.

Entrepreneurial emphasis, constructively competitive atmosphere with small class sizes that promoted high level attention from professors. Excellent teaching staff with high levels of success and richness in experience.

Quality of life is unparalleled, especially given the urban nature of the campus (relatively low crime, etc)

very supportive admissions staff offering a highly personable experience

2009

Small classes, mainly case studies, amazing professors (many C-Level from industry), competitive environment, fair grading, workload for first year is quite difficult, workload for second year is considerably more manageable.

Facilities are amazing. Neighborhood is great (located next to Fenway Park). Crime is minimal compared to other cities. Overall a very pleasant two years.

Application- Undergraduate Transcripts, GMAT, 5 essays

Interview- 30 minutes, in person. Behavioral questions

Financial Aid/Scholarships- Easy to obtain through school or private lender

The BU School of Management (SMG) is a highly competitive environment. Most of the student work hard and go above and beyond to keep up with each other. Also, SMG offers extensive team work, which will be very useful in the future. SMG not only teaches the theory, but through numerous project and out-of-class assignments provides students with real life experiences and application of knowledge. To me, SMG helped to develop presentation and interview skills, team working and critical analysis.

Price of housing varies and depends on what you want. There are simpler dorms, and there are brand new building (Stuvies). Campus facilities are great; you have everything you need here. The gym and computer labs are especially nice. There are many places to study, either by yourself or with a group.

There is a special reference requirement that I haven't encountered when applied to other schools. Also, entry scores are pretty high.

Class sizes are average for lectures, 200-300 kids. Discussions are much smaller, 40 students tops, giving better attention to each student. SMG constantly holds fairs and networking sessions to outreach to future employers. There is an honors program available and a great number of concentrations available.

Cost of living is high, but the resources available are great. There are different styles of living for every year and facilities are maintained well.

there was extensive financial aid information needed, application was general school app, just specified on the application that I wanted to apply to BU School of Management Program

The quality of the class is enhanced by the diversity of the student body that contributes towards class discussions

5 essays questions, GMAT and interview