“Excellent for Boston”
August 2020FORMER STUDENT

There is a strong alumni network in Boston legal market.

Although reputation is very strong in Boston, less well known/respected in other markets.

Comments

Many great professors that are experts in their fields and are engaging and helpful to students.

“Great Colleagues”
June 2015CURRENT STUDENT

Collegiate environment, friendly students and faculty members, great alumni network

Intellectual property law opportunities are lacking, coffee in the cafeteria is bad

Comments

Sometimes you must go against the advice of career services

“Great school outside of the elite”
April 2015CURRENT STUDENT

Collegial atmosphere, kind and engaging professors, students aren't competitive, decent chance at biglaw.

Less than third of the class will get biglaw, newton location isn't the most convenient.

Comments

Come here if you can't get into a T14 and want a decent chance at biglaw, and would be comfortable working in Boston or NYC.

I think our professor's are very practical, mostly because they really care about helping the students become the best lawyers and thinkers they can be.

BC Students care about each other and that affects every area of student life. We study together, go out together, live together, even work out together. It is a very social place filled with very good people.

classes with faculty are often better than those with adjunct/practioners because many adjuncts do not seem how to translate practice into teaching. The curve is pretty strict and it can be competitive if you are seeking out the big firm route. Class size first year is approximately 100 and then varies in upper-level courses from similar 100 person classes (corporations or con law II) to small seminars with 20 people maximum. Clinics are what really make BC special. There are a variety of opportunities to translate classroom learning to real practice.

It is a collegial atmosphere and people are always willing to help. There will be the "gunners" (those that are so focused on grades that they do little else and feel compelled to take over classroom discussions), but there are also a great group of people who want a life outside the law and make a point to find a balance between school and life outside of school. The dining is expensive (because its a cafeteria shared with freshmen) and the commuter can be lengthy if you do not have a car.

pretty standard application process. received normal financial aid package for law students (lots of stafford loans), but also got a grant and law school loan to help with costs.

Professors are very friendly and will give their time outside of class. There is a lot of theory, but I think that is to be expected in any law school.

Neighborhood is incredibly safe, including the main BC campus. It is somewhat annoying that the Law School isn't on the main campus (for those of us without cars). They need more direct shuttles from Cleveland Circle to the Law School.

LSAT and GPA are mostly what matters.

Boston's a great city! Newton is a bit farther out than I'd like, but it's a very nice area and is quieter and greener than the other law school campuses in the Boston area.

I felt that the academic program at the law school was rigorous. In my experience, I felt that the school was quite flexible in making sure that students got the most out of the experience.

Most of the classes used modified socratic method (i.e., panels). The first year class size was okay but probably would have been better if cut by about 20 students. Professors were always available and for the most part the students weren't too competitive.

I had two great out-of-class experiences: study abroad and clinic. The study abroad was great in that it combined both class work and real-world work experiences. The clinic program was also flexible enough to enable me to craft the experience I wanted.

Boston is an expensive city but at the time it was very manageable for a student. This is so because there are so many schools in the city there is a sub-culture of businesses, restaurants and bars that cater almost exclusively to students. There are no dorms for law students so people live in the surrounding communities. Again, because of the number of students in the city, there is ample housing that is oriented towards students (i.e., short term leases, group living, rooms to rent in houses, etc.).

The law school is situated in a beautiful community outside the city. As such, it is possible to have both a city and suburban experience. The contrast was important for me because though I enjoy city living I appreciated the quiet and tranquil environment for studying.

Based on my understanding of other schools, the application process was rather standard. There was one long essay required and one or two short answer questions.

2004 or earlier