When I applied in 2003, Whitman accepted the Common Application. I also conducted an off-campus interview. I applied for Regular Decision, but I know that Whitman also does Early Decision. I applied for and received a large amount of Financial Aid, which made Whitman a very desirable option.

2007

There is a year-long "core" course required of all freshman. This class is taught by general faculty and provides an overview of important works of fiction and non-fiction throughout history. Class sizes are limited to 15 students in the core course and it is very writing intensive and aimed to stimulate critical thinking. Beyond Core, there are a variety of general requirements - a certain amount of math/science, etc. - but I don't remember them being that hard to fulfill or taking up too much time. It's relatively easy to get into the courses you need for your major and professors are very accessible and accommodating about making sure you can complete requirements. Honestly, the most difficult classes to get into are the electives for non-majors in particularly interesting subjects (e.g. astronomy) - sometimes you have to wait until junior or senior year if you're dead set on being in one of those courses.

Class sizes are very small and there are very few large lecture courses (and honestly, even the size of these "large" courses is smaller than you'd find at a lot of schools, more like 70-80 students than 300). Classes are very discussion-based on grade as much (or more) on writing and critical thinking than tests (although this would depend in part on the subject).

Students are very collaborative, as are faculty, and there is a great sense of community and support both for academics and other interests. Study abroad opportunities are often advertised and easy to apply for and get. Grading is tough but fair in most classes.

Everything was great. The campus is beautiful and dorms are good-sized. Food is quite good, especially for mass-produced dining hall fare and there are tons of cute places to go out to eat in Walla Walla (almost all within walking distance), especially the Taco Trucks! The library is open 24/7 as are all of the academic buildings, so there's always a place you can go to study, work on a computer, or print documents. The campus and surrounding area is very safe, and most upperclassmen easily find houses or apartments to rent within a few blocks of campus. Honestly, it's a GREAT place to live for 4 years, and the small town atmosphere just makes the campus feel like more of a community (and encourages a ton of fun activities and house parties to take place on campus).

It was a while ago now, but I applied early decision and was very happy when I got admitted and didn't have to worry about applying to other schools. I think they put a bit more weight on essays and writing abilities and amount of honors courses taken than pure GPA or SAT scores. I'm not positive, however.

2007

challenging but not frusturating

accessible faculity who believe in your success

sustainable, fresh food

involved student body

inclusive social scene

Early decision 1 and 2, regular decision

common app

3 essays: i is a graded essay from high school

1 required class, "Core", that the entire freshman class takes. Several distribution requirements across disciplines, major study, and credit requirements. Classes are generally small (40 is considered quite large) and are taught by full professors. You get to know the faculty really well; they are generally extremely friendly and want their students to do well and enjoy classes. People at Whitman are generally interested in working hard and passionate about what they study. It's a really great learning environment.

Whitman students live on campus for 2 years, and then can live off campus for their junior and senior years. Because Walla Walla is such a small town, life revolves around campus. Almost everyone participates in something, be it a sorority, IM football (which is huge on campus, and so much fun), drama, student government, the newspaper, sports teams, or a club that they create themselves. The library is also open 24/7 for people who need to study :). The food is also quite good, and Bon Appetit (the food company) has made a big commitment to being environmentally friendly.

An incredible community! Whitman requires students to live on campus for the first two years, though most live on or near campus all four. The small campus houses a 24-hour library and includes free printing and free laundry in dorms. Based in a small community in Eastern Washington, the College supports and encourages students to interact with Walla Walla in positive ways through community service and active engagement. As a student, I felt safe anywhere on campus though appreciated the option of having campus security there to walk me home if needed. This place was idyllic!

Common app school with supplemental essays. Two early decision rounds (november and january). Merit and need-based financial aid. interviews highly recommended.

2005 or earlier

The only required class is Encounters (an introductory course for first years that develops college writing skills), but there are distribution requirements that are pretty easy to fulfill. Average class size is 15, and the student-professor ratio is 10:1. All students get pre-major advisers, and once you declare you pick an adviser in your major field. Professors have office hours and you can always email them or set up appointments outside of their normal hours. They're super accessible and helpful - especially if you're having trouble with a paper, etc. Workload depends on course load, but is definitely manageable if you take the standard load (15 credits). Academic competitiveness doesn't really exist; no one steals textbooks or compares grades or anything. Professors trust us, and often leave the room during tests and exams. 48% of students study abroad (usually in junior year and usually for a semester, but there are year long programs and you can stack two different semester programs). There are also domestic programs (Chicago, Philly, DC) and summer abroad programs. About 20% of students do research with faculty. One of my friends is going to Sweden this summer with a professor to research pollen (and it will count towards her Bio degree), and another got paid to go to Argentina with a professor and research culture and language. She even got published with her professor - as an undergraduate student.

Dorms are great - really big rooms, section lounges with kitchens, bathrooms, and study rooms. Each hall also has a basement with a tv lounge, rec room, summer storage, and bike storage. We complain about the dining halls, but they're way better than most other places we visited during college trips. Location is mostly residential, so it is super safe. There is a supermarket about a 5 minutes walk away, and Main Street (with a record store, toy shop, candy shop, and tons of great (and cheap!) eateries) is similarly close. Community relations are really good as Whitman does a lot of community service programs within the community. The only bone of contention comes from college aged townies who get mad when they aren't allowed into frat parties.

Common Application plus an additional supplement including unique application questions and essays. Early action and regular decision options available, as well as need-based and merit financial aid.

Every student has an academic advisor on the faculty and all first-year resident dormitory sections have a Student Academic Advisor in addition to the Resident Assistant living alongside the first-year residents in the dorms, offering words of wisdom and academic guidance to first-years during the transition to college. The class sizes are small with significant interaction between the students and the professor. Professors are easily accessible and are eager to teach, both inside and outside of the class. This is the true essence of a liberal arts college. The academic work is rigorous and the expectations on students are high, but it's ultimately about learning, not about outshining your peers. The environment is collaborative. Students also routinely collaborate with faculty on research and scholarly endeavors. I believe that nearly half of the study body chooses to study abroad, usually during the third year.

The quality of life and overall happiness at Whitman College is excellent. The community is engaging and extraordinarily friendly. Whitman is located in a beautiful college town, where the cost of living is inexpensive and it's easy to get around. The The Penrose Library is incredible, with ample study places catering to a variety of study style preferences, from silent reading rooms to separate group study rooms. Penrose Library is one of only a few college libraries that are available to students 24/7. For a study break, there is always some event happening at the student center.

2006

Academics are challenging but the school does everything in its power to help students succeed. Most professors know just how much to push students to make them learn but still love it.

I'm happy and so is just about everyone else I talk to on campus.

Whitman is selective but they look at the whole picture. Everything matters, not just test scores. It is possible to have a slightly lower SAT or ACT and still get in, but you must make up for it in other areas. Extracurriculars are a must. There are a lot of essays, but it is worth it if you get in.

Rigorous, flexible class options, required GMAT-style achievement test in major field of study before graduating, required thesis for most majors, variety of study abroad opportunities

Rated happiest students in the country by Princeton Review

Common Application plus unique questions and an essay submission, interviews

2008

I found the academics at Whitman College to be extremely rigorous. The amount of reading and writing required for a non-science major was somewhat daunting. But it refined my thinking.

Whitman College is located in Walla Walla, WA, which has a booming wine industry. The town has a unique charm. The housing and academic facilities are phenomenal. The school honestly runs like butter.

Whitman College asked that I interview as part of my admissions process. I felt that they were interested in determining what type of intellectual I was.

2006