When I applied in 2003, Whitman accepted the Common Application. I also conducted an off-campus interview. I applied for Regular Decision, but I know that Whitman also does Early Decision. I applied for and received a large amount of Financial Aid, which made Whitman a very desirable option.

2007

challenging but not frusturating

accessible faculity who believe in your success

sustainable, fresh food

involved student body

inclusive social scene

Early decision 1 and 2, regular decision

common app

3 essays: i is a graded essay from high school

The only required class is Encounters (an introductory course for first years that develops college writing skills), but there are distribution requirements that are pretty easy to fulfill. Average class size is 15, and the student-professor ratio is 10:1. All students get pre-major advisers, and once you declare you pick an adviser in your major field. Professors have office hours and you can always email them or set up appointments outside of their normal hours. They're super accessible and helpful - especially if you're having trouble with a paper, etc. Workload depends on course load, but is definitely manageable if you take the standard load (15 credits). Academic competitiveness doesn't really exist; no one steals textbooks or compares grades or anything. Professors trust us, and often leave the room during tests and exams. 48% of students study abroad (usually in junior year and usually for a semester, but there are year long programs and you can stack two different semester programs). There are also domestic programs (Chicago, Philly, DC) and summer abroad programs. About 20% of students do research with faculty. One of my friends is going to Sweden this summer with a professor to research pollen (and it will count towards her Bio degree), and another got paid to go to Argentina with a professor and research culture and language. She even got published with her professor - as an undergraduate student.

Dorms are great - really big rooms, section lounges with kitchens, bathrooms, and study rooms. Each hall also has a basement with a tv lounge, rec room, summer storage, and bike storage. We complain about the dining halls, but they're way better than most other places we visited during college trips. Location is mostly residential, so it is super safe. There is a supermarket about a 5 minutes walk away, and Main Street (with a record store, toy shop, candy shop, and tons of great (and cheap!) eateries) is similarly close. Community relations are really good as Whitman does a lot of community service programs within the community. The only bone of contention comes from college aged townies who get mad when they aren't allowed into frat parties.

Common Application plus an additional supplement including unique application questions and essays. Early action and regular decision options available, as well as need-based and merit financial aid.

An incredible community! Whitman requires students to live on campus for the first two years, though most live on or near campus all four. The small campus houses a 24-hour library and includes free printing and free laundry in dorms. Based in a small community in Eastern Washington, the College supports and encourages students to interact with Walla Walla in positive ways through community service and active engagement. As a student, I felt safe anywhere on campus though appreciated the option of having campus security there to walk me home if needed. This place was idyllic!

Common app school with supplemental essays. Two early decision rounds (november and january). Merit and need-based financial aid. interviews highly recommended.

2005 or earlier

We have distribution requirements and every student takes the two semester encounters class. Most students have a senior thesis and all seniors have senior seminars, and a combination orals, writtens, and other exams. 20% of students do research for professors in all different departments and this is all for undergraduate students. Professors have office hours, but they also hand out email and phone numbers to contact at any time. Facutly have high expectations for students and most professors make their students work for their grades. Work load depends on department/class, but generally high.

You must live on campus for two years, but 75% of students live on campus for all four years. The facilities on campus are amazing, and most of the buildings on campus have been recently built or recently renovated. There are lots of housing options some actual houses that still provide tight student communities. There are lots of opportunities to participate in community life whether it be from the local market, the whitman mentoring, college coaches, and other activities that encourage community/college interactions. Because whitman is a small school it has a very close and tight-knit community that is not only present within its student body, but also within its faculty.

You must have a hand graded essay from an english teacher, a special essay on diversity, personal interviews are recommended although phone interviews are also made.

Academics are challenging but the school does everything in its power to help students succeed. Most professors know just how much to push students to make them learn but still love it.

I'm happy and so is just about everyone else I talk to on campus.

Whitman is selective but they look at the whole picture. Everything matters, not just test scores. It is possible to have a slightly lower SAT or ACT and still get in, but you must make up for it in other areas. Extracurriculars are a must. There are a lot of essays, but it is worth it if you get in.

Rigorous, flexible class options, required GMAT-style achievement test in major field of study before graduating, required thesis for most majors, variety of study abroad opportunities

Rated happiest students in the country by Princeton Review

Common Application plus unique questions and an essay submission, interviews

2008

I found the academics at Whitman College to be extremely rigorous. The amount of reading and writing required for a non-science major was somewhat daunting. But it refined my thinking.

Whitman College is located in Walla Walla, WA, which has a booming wine industry. The town has a unique charm. The housing and academic facilities are phenomenal. The school honestly runs like butter.

Whitman College asked that I interview as part of my admissions process. I felt that they were interested in determining what type of intellectual I was.

2006

1 required class, "Core", that the entire freshman class takes. Several distribution requirements across disciplines, major study, and credit requirements. Classes are generally small (40 is considered quite large) and are taught by full professors. You get to know the faculty really well; they are generally extremely friendly and want their students to do well and enjoy classes. People at Whitman are generally interested in working hard and passionate about what they study. It's a really great learning environment.

Whitman students live on campus for 2 years, and then can live off campus for their junior and senior years. Because Walla Walla is such a small town, life revolves around campus. Almost everyone participates in something, be it a sorority, IM football (which is huge on campus, and so much fun), drama, student government, the newspaper, sports teams, or a club that they create themselves. The library is also open 24/7 for people who need to study :). The food is also quite good, and Bon Appetit (the food company) has made a big commitment to being environmentally friendly.

Strenuous!

Beautiful environment. High quality of life overall.

all of the above