Washington University in St. Louis

“Washington University in St. Louis”
April 2019FORMER STUDENT

campus environment, professors,faculty, staff, students, the city, national park

location, climate, crime rate, neighborhood, downtown area. Too cold in the winter.

Comments

If you wanna study, it's good to attend this school. People there are good.

“grad school”
September 2015CURRENT STUDENT

the professors are very helpful and go out of their way to make you have a great learning environment

the workload is intense, but that is to be expected at a school like washington university in st. louis

Comments

live close to the school (in central west end or clayton) but not in the loop area. many friends have had cars broken into while living there.

“Wash U”
July 2015CURRENT STUDENT

The professors are brilliant and very helpful. The campus is beautiful.

The students are very entitled. There's an elitist atmosphere.

Comments

If you want to be challenged academically and don't mind a slightly stuck up student body, Wash U is great. Also, the athletics are basically non-existent.

Wash U offers the option of early decision but not early action. Almost every student I have talked to interviewed with the university prior to admission, but I never did. We ask only for the Common Application--no additional essays. Wash U reaches out to high schools all around the country with our numerous admissions officers. We have great opportunities for financial aid, both need-based and merit-based. Our philosophy is that if we admit a student, we want to find a way to make sure the student can afford to enroll.

Cluster system with 4 main areas: social sciences, natural science, textual/historical studies and language/the arts. In addition to taking several courses in each of these areas, students must fulfill several other general courses: Writing I, a Cultural Diversity course, a Social Diversity course and a class that qualifies as writing intensive. Professors are accessible and allow students to work with them on research projects, however, these positions are competitive. Grading is also competitive, but a friendly atmosphere is fostered by encouraging group work and collaboration. Students average around 10 hours per week of work outside classes.

Housing and food is amazing, but a little costly. The library is nice enough, but I find that most students are disappointed with its hours. The athletic center is sort of gross, so a lot of students are turned off by it. Crime and safety is stressed as an issue on campus, but main campus itself is safe, even at night.

Common applcation, supplemental form, early decision is an option. Financial aid via FAFSA form OR academic achievement.

The only required course freshmen have to take is Writing 1. The other distribution requirements vary from division to division. However, the requirements are fairly flexible and allow students to take classes they enjoy. The advising system is awesome here. You have a four year academic advisor that will make sure you stay on track for graduation in 4 years. Professors are very accessible and are always willing to meet with students. There are more research opportunities on campus than there are students to fill them. Research is happening in every single major on campus. Grading varies from class to class, depending on the professor. Classes are challenging, but we have a very supportive and collaborative academic environment. We all want to do well in class, but we all want to see our peers succeeding as well. The workload varies from week to week based on your schedule and the number of classes you are taking during the semester. Most students take 15 credits (5 classes) each semester. There are also several study abroad opportunities. Some are language-based, and some are in English to fit the needs of each student.

Our housing is awesome! The facilities we have in our residential areas are pretty spectacular. We have about 15 libraries on campus, so students can find where they prefer to study. There are also places to study in the dorms as well. We have a great relationship with the St. Louis community, and students often do community service in St. Louis. Campus is very safe, and we are in a residential area. Many facutly and staff members live with their families in the surrounding areas of campus. Students are overall very happy, and we enjoy being here. Being around other people who also enjoy being here is what makes this place so great.

There is a supplement to the common application, but it is extremely easy to fill out. There is no additional essay. There are optional interviews, but they are fairly informal and really serve the purpose of just getting to know the student a little better. There is an Early Decision and Regular Decision option when you apply. The university works with students to meet their financial needs, and they continue to alter packages throughout your time at the university if your situation changes. There are many opportunities for academic scholarships, but they do require a separate application.