Villanova is an undergraduate focused university, meaning that it puts its resources towards undergraduate learning, leading to a top notch education. All classes are taught by professors, none by TA's, and professors are extremely accessible to their students. Furthermore, with the average class size being 22 students, professors get to know their students and vice versa. This opens up many research opportunities with professors, especially since their is not a huge graduate population on campus.

Each college within the university has a different set of core and major requirements. Regardless of college though, the core requires you to get a solid liberal arts base. Overall workload is challenging, but not straining. The workload, like the competitive nature of the classroom, looks to push students to their limits without putting undue pressure on them.

Villanova is a great area and is accessible to a great city like Philadelphia. As a California native, who was traveling a great deal to go to school, I wanted to make sure that Villanova was a place I would have a high quality of life. The school is a safe place with an amazing campus that provides you the opportunity to feel at home. This comfort level leads to a great community feeling throughout the campus, leading to overall happiness amongst the student body and lets me call Villanova my home.

In the past few years, Villanova has seen a growing number of applications. With this comes higher selectivity as well as a more qualified applicant pool and incoming class. The application process is done via the Common Application with a supplement essay. Options include early action or regular decision. Financial aid is offered to over 90% of our students in some way shape or form, as Villanova does its best to try and make education affordable. There are no interviews in the application process.

Each college at Villanova requires a certain core curriculum, which varies depending upon college. The core curriculum allows students to explore different courses and topics through their required courses. This helps students significantly when they choose a major. For example, I was able to try an Economics course as my social science requirement. This gave me an opportunity to explore a new topic and a potential course of study, while still fulfilling a requirement. Students have an advisor beginning their freshman year. Once students declare their major, they then get an advisor from that department. The student-teacher ratio is 11:1. The classes are generally small, which allows for discussion and for students to get to know one another and their professor. The largest class size at Villanova is 120 students, which generally only occurs for introductory science courses. The larger classes then have smaller sessions during the week with about 20 students to go over the material and answer any questions. TAs do not teach any classes at Villanova. All professors are required to hold office hours every week. Professors are also very willing to schedule appointments outside of office hours and are always accessible through email. Many of my professors have even given out their home phone numbers. Professors also frequently invite their classes to their homes for dinner; this shows how dedicated the professors are in not only educating their students, but really getting to know their students. Study abroad opportunities are numerous. Villanova offers a number of programs, and if there is a destination or program that they do not offer, but a student is interested in, Villanova will make sure that the student can participate in the program or get to that destination. The School of Business gives freshmen students an opportunity to go abroad to London during their second semester, where they take classes and participate in an internship. The Communication Department runs a study abroad program in Rome, where students not only take classes, but intern at the Vatican. If you don't want to be away from Villanova for an entire semester, there are summer programs as well.

Students at Villanova are generally housed by class year, which allows the students to get acquainted with different members of their class. The dorms are a good size, and even with two SUVs packed with my belongings, I have always been able to fit everything into my room. The West Campus apartments are by far the best housing on campus, and are reserved for junior residents. The apartments can house up to five residents and contain a living room, bedrooms, a full kitchen, and private bathrooms.

Many of the facilities are either new or newly renovated. The University is also invested in going green on campus, and one of our dorms is a green dorm. Environmentally friendly methods have been employed in recent renovations as well.

The library's resources are numerous and convenient. The library always has librarians available to assist students. They also have an interlibrary loan, which allows for students to access books that may not be in our library. The library is open until 12 a.m. normally, but during finals it stays open until 3 a.m. There is also a 24 hour study lounge for students to work even after the library's regular hours.

There are many dining options on campus. This is nice because students are not eating the same types of food everyday. There are three all you can eat dining halls on campus. These dining halls have a some options that are available every day and also have a menu that changes daily and for each meal. There are four a la carte options on campus, in addition to two convenience store type options also on campus. These options make it almost unnecessary to leave campus, even though Villanova makes off-campus locations very accessible. There are two trains on campus, both of which stop in the surrounding towns and go into Philadelphia. There is a shuttle that goes off campus to different shopping areas and the grocery store and one that goes to the King of Prussia Mall on weekends.

I have never felt unsafe on campus. The neighborhood that Villanova is in is incredibly safe. Villanova also has a great Public Safety department. Public Safety is on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week. They have a program in which they will give students rides should a student ever feel unsafe walking. They also respond in less than a minute if anyone utilizes the Call Box system.

Overall, students are incredibly friendly and happy to be at Villanova.

Villanova requires that students apply using the Common Application in addition to a Villanova supplement. The supplement includes an additional essay, which asks the prospective student to incorporate several of Villanova's core values. Villanova accepts applications early action and regular decision.

There is a large core curriculum at Villanova. I found this helpful because I did not know what I wanted to do coming in to the school. Taking a variety of different classes helped me decide my major.The class sizes in even the core classes are small usually capping out at 35. Professors are very helpful and the only people who teach classes. I am very close with a lot of my professors because they make an effort to reach out to students outside of the classroom.

Villanova's campud is just the right size. Everything is accessible and within walking distance. The sense of community on campus is amazing and unrivaled by any other school that I have seen. Housing is great and all food is made fresh daily right here on campus. You are only guaranteed three years of housing on campus so seniors do live off campus. Where I live now as a senior is just a mile off campus and 80% of my neighbors are Villanova seniors. It is simply an extension of the Villanova community off campus.

Villanova offers early action admissions and regular decision. THe school takes the common application which is actually preferred. There is a special essay you need to answer for Villanova in addition to the common application, though.

there are a lot of liberal arts requirements no matter what your major is

Villanova is a suburban town.

Common Application + additional essay from Villanova

In the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, which I am enrolled in, there are many requirements which students take which include Theology, Philosophy, three Social Sciences, a lab science, history, ethics, etc. They are all very interesting classes and usually require a lower and upper level, the upper level having more options for students to take. You are assigned to an adviser when you apply, who is a professor in your field of study, who stays with you throughout your career. They are very supportive and available. The average class size at Villanova is 22 and the student/faculty ratio is 11 to 1. There are many study aboard opportunities, the workload is totally manageable, and the classes are truly enjoyable!

The quality of life at Villanova is great! I have felt very safe on campus, public safety is constantly on patrol via foot, bike, or car. Our housing facilities are very nice and clean, our main dining hall was just remodeled and is beautiful, the food is delicious! We have a definite sense of community on campus which is evident thorough all of our two hundred plus organizations.

Villanova required their own separate application that was to be filled out first, then they accepted the Common Application. A student can either apply early action or regular decision. There are lots of financial aid and scholarship opportunities available to students who apply.

For the school of arts and science there is a fairly rigorous core curriculum. While it can seem tedious to complete all of these courses there is a wide range to choose from and the result is a well rounded education. The average class size is 22 which means there is a lot of one on one interaction with professors. All classes are taught by professors who are all required to have open office hours and are more than happy to arrange additional time with students. Classes are competitive though not cut throat.There are numerous study abroad opportunities, for a summer, semester or even a year.

The overall happiness at Villanova is very high. Housing, while crowded sophomore year, is overall comfortable and fairly spacious. The library needs to be revamped but is both a great place to study and full of useful resources. The campus is entirely safe, even at night. Public safety is present and can give late night rides if needed but there is never a feeling of danger.

The admissions process includes both the Common Application and a supplemental essay. SAT IIs are not required. There are no interviews but the student volunteers and admission counselors are fantastic resources. There is both early action and regular action. I found that the benefit of applying early was knowing that I had been accepted before Christmas which took pressure off of the rest of the process.

Core classes include theology, philosophy, ethics, social sciences, sciences, and language. For my major degree there are numerous specific requirements such as Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Fluids, Thermodynamics, Heat and Mass Transfer, Modeling and Numerical Methods, Process Simulation and Control, and Safety Analysis. All students are assigned an academic advisor within the department that remains the academic advisor for four years as long as a student does not change majors. The average class size is around 23. Professors are always available and there to help you. They are required to have office hours and most resort to an "open door" policy. Research opportunities are very available on campus and in terms of my major Chemical Engineering, research is built into senior year of the curriculum. Research is available for undergraduate students and this is a benefit of not having a large masters and graduate program. Classes are challenging and students are relatively competitive but it creates an environment in which you can learn and thrive. Most students take the opportunity to study abroad and get involved with at least one extracurricular activity despite the fact that the work load is also challenging. The challenging academic atmosphere does not hinder students from being involved and allowing them to develop as a well-rounded student.

Villanova has a seperate supplementary essay questions in addition to the Common Application. You may choose to apply early action versus regular decision. No interviews are conducted for prospective students. Financial Aid Packages are available after you have received notification of your acceptance and there are some scholarships opportunities based on your application to Villanova alone.

common app plus supplement essay, no interviews, regular decision.