Vanderbilt University

“The Harvard of the South”
February 2016CURRENT STUDENT

Vanderbilt fosters a very competitive environment amongst its students. It is a liberal arts school that encourages each student to explore a diverse range of academic subjects.

Sometimes, the school makes students feel as though they are on their own in the job search process.

Comments

It is important to understand that this school is the definition of "work hard, play hard."

“2010 Graduate Review”
August 2015FORMER STUDENT

Access to some of the best minds in any filed (I studied economics)—if you can establish a good working relationship with the professors. Beautiful campus.

Homogenous, apolitical, entitled student body. Greek life seems to trump all.

Comments

If greek life is not for you, don't let it scare you away—it takes some more effort, but there are plenty of meaningful opportunities to take advantage of, from intramural and club sports to model UN.

Each of the four undergraduate schools has its own core liberal arts program with various requirements. Overall, the workload is not too overwhelming if you stay on top of your stuff. There are certainly weeks that seem particularly stressful, but then there are also weeks that seem much more relaxed. It's really all about how you manage your time. They teachers are very approachable and often give out personal contact information beyond just their email in case you need any help. This spills over into research opportunities very easily. The students at Vanderbilt like to do well but are not so competitive that it destroys a team atmosphere. Even in large classes people are very willing to work together.

The quality of life at Vanderbilt is high. Keeping students on campus all four years is great for the sense of community. There are certainlly some housing areas that are less desirable than others, but that doens't neccesarliy ruin quality of life. The recreation center is more than adequate and it's easy to keep in shape. Not only are there lots of opportunites to particpate in intramural sports, but it seems that there is always someone willing to go for a run or to the gym. The campus itself is beautiful. Centennial Park right across the street gives students a nice getaway just a few blocks down the street. I love reading on a blanket out there on warm days.

Vanderbilt is one of the only top 20 universities that still gives out merit based scholarships. Each of the four undergraduate schools has its own program. Many of these scholarships come with a $5000 stipend that students can spend doing research or service abroad. The Ingram Scholarship program is based entirely on service and pays full tuition while providing students with stipends for service for each summer.

liberal core for all schools. encouraging/accessible/notable faculty, research opportunities, easy to change majors/minors and to change schools, rigorous workload but manageable, challenging in class and out of class. TA will never teach a class. class sizes usually no more than 15-30 students, few classes are 100, and none are over 200. good student to faculty ratio. (but don't know the exact quote-possibly 8:1 ratio)

housing: want you to live on campus all four years. great housing FRESHMAN year-the best. you can have suites/apartment style when you get older, but i wish i could live off campus junior and senior year

-cost unknown

-facilities: large rec center, Freshman campus has a gym, many campus cafes, multiple librarys

-great librarys: recently renovated the central library

-dining is way better than most colleges, although not open at all hours as you would like

-definitely feel safe on campus: we have our own state recognized police force-they are there to protect us/for our safety not to get us in trouble

-many nice neighborhoods surround campus, near downtown though too

-happy: decently sized city. wish there was more of a college town with more food places/cafes/24 hour places, etc. (but i'm from LA)

easy application process and interview with alumni. application is only the common app. early decision and early decision II are options. i chose early decision ii. financial aid and scholarship opportunities are available.

Vanderbilt is an incredibly challenging school academically and the professors should be more accessible and willing to help students.

It is a great school but I don't think that people are genuinely happy and I think that it is very overpriced.

I applied for the Ingram Scholarship for service learning, so in addition to the Common Application, I had to complete another application with two essays, two recommendations, and a service activity list.