Vanderbilt University

“Great southern school on the up swing”
April 2018FORMER STUDENT

Surrounded by brilliant people who are also generally social (though there can be some issues there, see next point0

Social scene can be a bit elitist. Most (60%+) of the undergrads are greek and your affiliation often defines your social status

Comments

Make sure you know what you want to do after school. There are plenty of campus orgs to develop specialized skills outside of your coursework (because lets be honest, no one gets a job just because they got a few As) but you have to seek them out

“Vanderbilt University”
February 2016CURRENT STUDENT

It is a great campus with high academic standard and amazing resources

I do not love that some classes are lecture halls and other are very small

Comments

It is an amazing learning environment that will help you to flourish academically and socially

“The Harvard of the South”
February 2016CURRENT STUDENT

Vanderbilt fosters a very competitive environment amongst its students. It is a liberal arts school that encourages each student to explore a diverse range of academic subjects.

Sometimes, the school makes students feel as though they are on their own in the job search process.

Comments

It is important to understand that this school is the definition of "work hard, play hard."

“2010 Graduate Review”
August 2015FORMER STUDENT

Access to some of the best minds in any filed (I studied economics)—if you can establish a good working relationship with the professors. Beautiful campus.

Homogenous, apolitical, entitled student body. Greek life seems to trump all.

Comments

If greek life is not for you, don't let it scare you away—it takes some more effort, but there are plenty of meaningful opportunities to take advantage of, from intramural and club sports to model UN.

“Holistic Experience”
August 2015CURRENT STUDENT

Everyone at Vandy is smart and going places - but it's the kind of place where "smart" isn't enough to do well. Vandy forces you to develop yourself as a whole to be successful - socially, physically, academically.

Pressure cooker. Similar issues to all other top-tier schools - the pressure to do it all builds up.

Comments

Vandy is a fantastic school for students who want a high caliber education inside and outside the classroom.

Vanderbilt is a liberal arts school and therefore each major requires a liberal arts core, but the number of hours and restrictions are dependent upon school and major. The major degree requirements vary in the number of hours and required classes. Each student has a faculty advisor and for most majors, the advisor for your major is assigned after your major is declared sophomore year. While there are some lecture classes that are large, most classes that are focused on specific majors are reasonably small. Professors are always willing to meet with students and give advice as well as research opportunities. Students can participate in research starting their freshman year if they are ambitious. Vanderbilt is competitive, but at the same time students will help each other do well and understand work. Grading is hard, but it is usually accurate and reflective of the work done. The falculty at Vanderbilt are amazing and relevent in their fields. Vanderbilt is a hard school, but if you can get in you can handle the workload.

Vanderbilt uses the common application and offers financial aid and scholarship opportunities. Students can apply early decision one or two and it is binding. Vanderbilt also offers non-mandatory interviews.

Requirements vary depending on which academic school you are in: college of arts and sciences, blair school of music, school of engineering, or peabody.

Students live on campus for all four years. Living is expensive, but you are directly on campus. The campus is beautiful, with althetic facilities and room for al lthe student organizations. There are many different libraries which all students (graduate and undergraduate) can access. Students are required to purchase a meal plan for three years (21 meals, 14 meals, and 8 meals) with additional meals as an option. Nashville is an amazing city and Vanderbilt has a lot of support and respect in the community. We have our own police force and the campus is flooded with blue lights. Students are extremely happy.

Since I applied, Vanderbilt has switched to a common application only. I had an optional alumni interview which was helpful. There is an early decision one and two option along with regular decision. They have an incredible financial aid program that is loan free for all students that can be explored at the Vanderbilt Admissions website. There are a few merit scholarship opportunities available as well.

Extensive application with essays, letters of recommendation, etc.

common application

financial aid and scholarship opportunities

ED I, ED II, regular decision

interviews with alumni

Core requirements differ, they are unique for each of our four schools. Every student will take at least 1/3 of classes in the College of Arts & Science. Academic advising is random until you declare your major. About 80% of classes have less than 30 students. The largest classes are the beginning courses such as General Chem or Econ 101. Vanderbilt is a research 1 university, with over $450 million invested in our research. There are 120 + research centers on campus, spanning all our undergraduate schools and departments. Many of my friends are involved in on campus research, a lot of students opt to spend the summer in Nashville doing research as well. All majors can study abroad during our fall or spring semester, Maymester, or summer sessions. Credits from other schools will transfer so the opportunities are endless.

Common Application with a short supplement.