“Cost-Effective Options for In-state Students”
September 2018CURRENT STUDENT

Cost-effective option for in-state students, variety of majors, located in a historic city

Surprising number of scandals in recent years, ranging from the Rolling Stone article to the protests of August 2017 in Charlottesville

Comments

Explore the variety of academic programs available at UVa, and make sure that you complete prerequisites for majors you are interested in during high school (will help out in the long-run)

“great school”
November 2015CURRENT STUDENT

great history, academic culture, and absolutely beautiful grounds. faculty is very supportive

still retains a bit of a waspy southern feel at times, frat culture too pervasive

Comments

don't go here to study arts or math. the E school is okay, but business and pre-law are by far the strongest programs.

“Best school in VA and underrated”
August 2015FORMER STUDENT

If you work hard enough, this school provides you with every opportunity to do something amazing, both during your time at UVa and afterwards

You DO have to work hard enough to achieve impact - it doesn't get handed to you, and no one is there to hold your hand through your academic career or recruiting

Comments

It might feel a bit bigger than some of the private schools but you can easily find your niche and thrive. Make sure the academics fit you and don't worry about whether you'll like the culture or not - it's big enough you'll find people you like

I was fortunate enough to place out of all of the general requirements, so I can't say much about those except that I've heard most students complain that they wished they had taken the APs in high school, since the coursework was much harder comparatively in college. The major requirements seem fairly equal as far as credits go, but vary in terms of difficulty, and amount and difficulty of the prerequisites; for example, I once was aiming for an economics major and had to take 6 (I think) courses before declaring, whereas my current history major only asked me to take 1 history course, and credit from a high school AP class counted towards that requirement. The classes can get to be quite large in the entry-levels (550 for my Intro to Microeconomics class), but the weekly discussion sections of 20 students, where we go over problems and further discuss lecture with a TA, definitely help, and make a huge difference in my large-class experience. If you want to do research, you can easily find opportunities at UVA, and professors always hold open office hours weekly (often two or three times a week) where you can discuss anything from your grades to your future career to worries you have about your life outside academics. The faculty is very accomplished, but for the most part, it's not something you realize until you notice that one of the books you were assigned to read for class was written by them, or someone tells you the professor has their own Wikipedia page and that they were once a speechwriter for President Bush Sr. Also, I'd just like to note that the major selection below is really strange - it doesn't have history or religious studies (my two), or even other common majors like biology and chemistry.

The cost of housing is high whether one lives on or off-grounds. I am finally moving off grounds next year, and expected to save money from the previous costs of living in a dorm, but found that there are very few places near grounds that have decent rents. I don't know if the real estate market is taking advantage of students, but it's hard to find anything for less than $450 a month, and this doesn't include utilities. The campus is gorgeous year-round, and while spread out, has a fantastic transportation system that can get you anywhere you need to go. Charlottesville is a great college town, with a downtown area full of restaurants and shops that cater to college students, a strip of cheap but delicious restaurants and bars a block from grounds, and plenty of outside art and service opportunities. The libraries are spacious and almost always open, and the dining halls are decent. I believe the community appreciates the student population for all they give back, through service, community events, and economic support. Overall, it's a great place to be.

Yes to unique essays - I remember one being, "What's your favorite word", definitely a far cry from most other schools I applied for, which all had variations on the same "What are your strengths and weaknesses? What have you overcome?"-type questions. UVA didn't use the Common App when I applied in Dec 2007, but I believe they switched over to that the following year. I hope they still kept the interesting essays as a required addition to the Common App, because it was one of the reasons that drew me to the school (despite the extra work I had to put in to answer UVA's different questions). There was no early decision or early action, which made it a little frustrating as far as waiting went, and I wasn't offered an interview either. I'm glad I had the opportunity to spend the night on campus through the Monroe Society before making my decision, because it gave me a much better perspective than either an on-Grounds student tour or an interview would have given me, as far as seeing both the academic challenges and the social aspect of the school in the most real light.

We have requirements for foreign language, English, and sciences. Most majors require 30 credits, so it is pretty easy to double major or have a minor. Classes are difficult, but students aren't necessarily competitive.

Overall, I think most students are very happy. We have great dining services that allow students to be vegetarian and works with food allergies. The Grounds is beautiful, and the University is working on restoring buildings and expanding the University.

We have the Common Application with a supplement, or you can apply online. The most notable essay question is "what's your favorite word and why?" We do not have any early decision or early action.

there are study abroad opportunities, academic advising available, ...i dont know everything is reasonable and well set up!

Beautiful environment and lots of things to do. The cost is a ripoff, like with the dining hall, but the libraries are available whenever you need them, I feel safe, and my service fraternity has provided good opportunities to relate with the Charlottesville community

3 essay questions, 2 short 1 long... I don't even really remember.

Academics at UVa are pretty strong all around. In the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, students are required to take core classes to satisfy a major requirement, and then students are required the choice to take certain humanities and technical electives to graduate. UVa really pushes study abroad for its students.

The University of Virginia used to offer early decision to students who were willing to attend the University if admitted, but recently decided to move to the common application and do-away with the early decision option. The University of Virginia does not conduct interviews. The application consisted of a series of essay questions in which students were givent the opportunity to "Stand out."

There are certain core requirements (math/science, social studies, humanities, foreign language, non-western perspective) that are the same for all students except those in special programs (like Echols scholars who have no requirements). Major degree requirements depend on the major and department. Class sizes vary from 3 people to 500 people and I've taken both of those and everything in between. There is a lot of research opportunity here, even for undergrads. There are a great number of UVA-offered study abroad programs and the university works with other programs as well. The administration is pushing for more and more students to study abroad over the years. There are scholarship opportunities and such available as well.

It is now a common application process but when I applied we had to submit all the regular information (activities, transcripts, essays). There was no interview but I was in contact with some admissions people the whole time. I also applied early decision and we don't have that anymore.

Not common application when I applied, UVA had its own specific questions. No interviews. I did early decision, but that is gone now. Financial Aid and Scholarships were not a factor in my admission process.

Stringent core writing requirements. Very good English department and school of Commerce. A lot of notable faculty and professors. Large class sizes, usually with multiple TAs. However, often very accessible professors and flexible office hours. Very competitive, tough grading, especially in upper level classes. Large workload (about 40 hrs/week). Huge study abroad program with lots of countries to study in.

Dorms are not horrible, cleaned regularly and in the process of all being renovated. Cost of living off-grounds ranges from about $400-700; many many many off-grounds housing options, as well as a lot of on-grounds housing options. LOVE THE LIBRARIES. We have fantastic libraries that stay open until midnight or 2am, and one 24-hr library. I always feel safe on campus however there is crime in Charlottesville that sometimes finds its way to campus.

Does not accept the Common Application and has very unique and interesting essay questions. Looks at SAT scores and wants recommendations from teachers and guidance counsellors. Has recently done away with early action applications since they gave unfair advantage to prospective students that did not need the confirmation of Financial Aid.