“UR”
February 2017CURRENT STUDENT

Education Ranking is amongst top tier schools in the country.

Lake effect makes the weather almost unbearable and nightlife is dead.

Comments

Great academics but very competitive. Many students attend internationally here;.

Amazing. Class sizes are appropriate - and even if you're in a larger lecture, professors are good about forming smaller groups for recitations. We're noted for our research. Most of the faculty is great (there are a few duds in certain departments), the workload can be a lot but it's worthwhile.

Housing is great. Cost of living's a little pricey, facilities are usually good, library is easily accessible, dining sucks, good location. Overall - very happy.

I did the regular application - it's pretty much like the rest.

The only requirement is a writing class normally taken in your freshman year, but other than that, it's a complete free-for-all. You major in one of the three categories- natural sciences, social sciences and humanities- and minor or take a cluster of three classes in the other two. It's an awesome opportunity to take classes that you never considered because they don't fit exactly into your course of study

A lot of people live on campus all 4 years- the housing lottery is good for some people, and scres some people over.

The application process is very similar to other schools- they take the Common App with a supplement. I toured the school at one of the nighttime tour sessions, and had an inteview while I was there. One of my favorite things about the U of R was the way they personalized their acceptence letters with actual facts about you that impresses them and contributed to them picking you. It showed that they focused on more than your test scorses!

Common app, optional interview, rochester-specific essay question, very widely dispersed financial aid and scholarships

University of Rochester requires that students take one college writing class. All other choices of classes are left to the students. The school requires that you choose a major (or you can make up you own major!). Outside of your major, you must complete two clusters of three (related) classes each. Clusters fall into three categories: humanities, social sciences and natural sciences. Students must complete two clusters in the two categories that their major does not fall into.

Across the board, it has been my experience that it was very easy to meet with professors. If professors did not have designated office hours, they were usually always free to schedule an appointment to meet one on one. Also, many professors provided and encouraged students to attend review sessions (either with professors or TAs).

Academic advising during the first two years is run by Deans in the center for academic affairs. After that, students are required to declare a major. Then, advising rests with the student's major advisor and personal mentors. Advising in the first two years was okay. Advising within my major was much better as I sought out personal mentors and role models.

Research opportunities are incredible at the University of Rochester. All students are encouraged to get involved with research. I found a job in a science research lab (work study) within weeks of matriculating, and I continued to work in various labs throughout my four years there.

I was a science major, so I cannot speak to degree requirements in other areas. But within science, major requirements depend on the degrees sought by the student. BA requirements tend to have more flexibility; less so for BS degree requirements. I double majored with a BS and a BA. The first two years of college were mainly to complete core requirements in both majors, while the second two years were used mainly for elective courses within my major.

Class sizes in the sciences were generally large due to the popularity of science majors at the University of Rochester. Core courses like organic chemistry, intro biology, intro physics, general chemistry, etc. could easily exceed 200 students and sometimes reached totals upward of 400 students. Elective science courses had much fewer students: ~20-50 students. My humanties cluster courses (latin 1&2, classical mythology) were generally small at about 10-40 students. My social sciences cluster courses (intro econ, intermediate econ, econ stats) were generally large as well with about 100-200 students/course.

Workload is very high. Students study a lot at the University of Rochester. I feel like I studied more than average because I had two science majors. I studied about 3-5 hr/day outside of class on any given day. I studied more on the weekends. Sometimes I didn't need to study at all, but that was rare. There were few graded assignments outside of general/intro classes. Many classes had required "workshops" or recitations that required participation, and thus background reading. Workshops were really helpful in science classes because they were designed to be student run sessions that focused on an extended set of related questions relevant to material covered in class. They were also convenient because professors that ran workshops often modeled exam questions after workshop problems.

Many students study abroad. Financial aid for study abroad opportunities are also available. About 3/4 of my friends studied abroad. I did not.

It is not very competitive at Rochester. There is a pretty collaborative feel among students. Many students like to study in groups and it is common to ask class mates who you are not friends with to help you.

Grading was curved for the most part. The curve for each class was designated by the professors. It was my experience that the average grade tended to be a C+/B-/B, but this also depended on the professor.

The libraries are fantastic!

The neighborhood is safe. Campus is totally safe.

The facilities are very nice and renovations are common for older classrooms.

Housing is pretty good. No air conditioning in the older buildings, but that is only a problem in late April/May and late August/September.

The dining at University of Rochester is not very good.

The University of Rochester encourages all students to get involved in community service so the relationship with the community is very strong. I was involved in a program that was aimed at helping underprivileged high school students get into college.

I was very happy at the University of Rochester.

I submitted the common application with the University of Rochester supplemental, secondary application. I also submitted a graded piece of writing from one of my classes. From what I remember, the supplemental application to the common application contained one or two unique essay questions.

The financial aid application involved first submitting the FAFSA and then a separate application specific to the University of Rochester financial aid. After that, the Financial Aid Office then awards scholarships and need based aid.

The University of Rochester also has optional interviews, of which I did not complete. Prospective students may also apply early decision, which I did not.

2009

No core classes other than a mandatory writing class (WRT 105), typically taken freshman or sophomore years. We use a cluster system which means that a student majors in one of the three fields (humanities, social sciences, or natural sciences and engineering) while completing a sequence of three thematically linked courses in the other two fields. Class sizes are small, professors are accessible and easy to get to know, the grading is fair, and the study abroad opportunities are excellent.

No requirements except for one writing class. There are three divisions of courses: natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities. Minimum requirements are a concentration in one of those fields and clusters in the other two. So for example, you could major in Neuroscience (natural science), do a cluster in Medical Anthropology (social science), and a cluster in Russian (humanities). A cluster is basically a 3 course sequence that focuses your interest. There is a lot of freedom at Rochester to do your own thing and to do what you love and are passionate about. The curriculum at Rochester is very unique.

Academic advising is average. Class sizes are variable; science classes tend to be very large but you do get classes where there are 15-20 people.

Professors are generally helpful and accessible and there are ample research opportunities. Rochester tends to be a pretty nurturing environment, so people tend to help each other out. Grading varies by professor and class.

Study abroad opportunities are very good and the staff of the study abroad office are excellent.

Alright. Housing is not very good. Cost of dining is way to expensive for what is offered. Security is excellent - I generally feel very safe on campus. Libraries are excellent.

I came for an education, not really for the quality of life on campus, so it is okay if the dorms do not make for ideal living.

Common application plus supplementary questions. Many scholarship opportunities available.

Core plus a cluster (3 classes) in the other two academic fields.

Too expensive.

Standard essay + 2-3 additional short essays. CSS profile.

Flexible curriculum.There are three disciplines: Humanities, Social Science, and Natural Science. You must complete a major in one discipline, and then either minor or complete a three class cluster in the each of the other two. Class sizes are small, and taught by professors who are generally very accessible. It is incredibly easy to get into research as an undergrad. There can be a heavy workload, depending on the classes you take, but most people are able to manage it.

I interviewed before I applied. I applied with the Common Application with the University of Rochester supplement. I also was asked to submit a graded sample of my writing.

There are no specific liberal arts requirement, only distribution requirements for natural science, social science, and humanities that you major, minor, or 'cluster' (take 3 related courses) in.

They required SAT of ACT scores, the common application, and also two additional short statements about why Rochester. They also offer an optional interview with either a student or admissions counselor.