“Pitt Review”
September 2015FORMER STUDENT

Dorms are fun and have a close environment

Cathedral is beautiful

Honors college is helpful and flush with cash

Weather is poor

Campus has very little grass

Class sizes are too big

Comments

Pitt is the perfect place if you want an affordable, urban, public research university.

Amazing!!

application, essays

scholarship oppurtunities are reviewed at same time as application submission

2016

We are the best.

so difficult

There are large class sizes for general requirement classes, that range from about 200-250 students. When they classes are this big Pitt makes sure everyone is one the same page with once a week recitations taught by teachers assistants. In my experience, I've found that the professors are very approachable in office hours. Pitt is a great school to go to for anything medical related because UPMC is right on our campus allowing students to have opportunities such as research, volunteer work, and/or internships.

I am very happy here at Pitt! The residence halls on lower campus are set up in a great central location nearby the library, food courts, restaurants, and a nice park (Schenley Park). Since its in a city there is always something to do whether it's a concert, sporting event, or show. You are never bored with all the fun school sponsored events that take place on weekends! The OCC program, short for Outside the Classroom Curriculum, is a one of a kind program here that also gives you a way to get credit for going to the events on campus. Plus, the Pitt Arts program here is awesome because students can go see free shows and performances for free in addition to a free dinner beforehand.

The admissions process is pretty similar to a typical college application. You need to fill out the application and write a personal statement that gives you a chance to say in words what you have to offer.

Class sizes become smaller as you become more specialized in your subject area. There are lots of study abroad opportunities and our Study Abroad Office is extremely helpful and thorough when a student wants to study abroad. Professors have 4-6 office hours a week, and from my experience have always been there when they say they are going to be.

Oakland has a relatively low cost of living which is nice because living on-campus, while it is extremely safe, is a little more expensive.

essay, resume, application, financial aid