“Good quality education, support services leave something to be desired”
August 2015FORMER STUDENT

The price at the time was reasonable, urban location, and wide course selection

The support services could have been better. Some of the dorms are extremely dated.

Comments

Pittsburgh is a fantastic city, and it was great to go to school in an urban area.

Liberal arts college, you must take many general requirement classes. Core classes are usually pretty difficult to help weed out students who do not belong in the major (at least for my experience: pre-med) Advising was great, i have a wonderful relationship with my advisor. Class sizes are great for such a large school. out of 2283 undergraduate courses offered, only about 6% are 100 students or more, 63% are 30 students or less, and 45% are 20 students or less. Most professors are involved in research so there are many opportunities. School is very competitive, and grading is fair. There are many study abroad opportunities and they are easily accessible, workload is definitely manageable even for students with difficult majors.

Housing is great, cant go wrong with any dorms on campus. Center for Off campus housing makes living off campus easy. Cost of living is low in Pittsburgh, Campus is gorgeous and fun, facilities are well maintained, library is well equipped, great variety of places to study. Food is great. neighborhood is super safe, Pittsburgh was rated number one among bench mark cities in public safety. Relationship with community is great. Crime and safety are not an issue. I am extremely happy.

I applied using the Common app. Plus a Pitt supplement. Regular decision, found out I was accepted within about three weeks. Did not receive a scholarship.

Great mix of large and small classes. General education requirements are mostly useful (except we must take 3 natural sciences classes which is a bit much for those majoring in the arts). STUDY ABROAD IS AWESOME! We send 17% of out undergrad abroad a semester, 10% more than the average and we have our own programs which makes it even more accessible.

So fun, great community, smallest big school ever.

The general education requirements aren't too terrible (fairly flexible); good study abroad program (about 17% of students here study abroad); I don't know much about major requirements--I'm still undecided; advising is good; class sizes vary, but are generally 'smallish' (only 6% have 100+ students, 43% have 20 or fewer, and 65% have 30 or fewer); in my experience, the professors have been very accessible and helpful, and there are a great deal of research opportunities available to undergrads.

Housing options are varied and good; cost of living is pretty good, even more so once a student moves off campus; campus is pretty urban, but with a good amount of green space; nice facilities, several libraries, good dining options all over campus; surrounding neighborhoods are fine; safe campus, etc.

Rolling admissions; essays/interviews/resumes/etc. are suggested, not required application materials; financial aid is quite good--many (most?) students receive some form of aid, and a great number get scholarships from the University.

Non-Common Application School

Essay

Rolling admission

Pitt is a research university so opportunities to become involved with research are countless. Grading uses letter grades as well as +/-. Only 6% of classes have more than 100 students, and all of the larger classes break down into a recitation section each week to review material covered in the large lecture setting.

Quality of life is great. Housing is guaranteed on-campus for 3 years. The campus has a safe feel thanks to the Pitt Police force and their overlap with Carnegie Mellon police and the Allegheny County police force.

Pitt doesn't use the Common Application.

Liberal Arts degree, well rounded gen ed requirements. Philosophy is very difficult because Pitt has the best department in the nation. Not many options for natural sciences that aren't lab classes. Class sizes are pretty small for such a big university. Professors are very accessible. Lots of research opportunities if you look for them. Pitt is becoming more and more competitive. Lots of opportunities to study abroad regardless of major.

On campus housing is wonderful. Security guard is there 24/7, very safe. Living off campus is cheap and you can find nice places to live. Since it's an urban neighborhood you have to be careful, use common sense and you'll be safe. Library has awful wireless. Food is great, I love the union because they have Pizza Hut. I couldn't be happier with my experience at Pitt

Pitt has rolling admission. I believe essay questions were optional. I didn't find many scholarship opportunities.

Study abroad is a prominent fixture on campus. The Study Abroad office told me that the number of Pitt students that study abroad are about three times higher than the national average! Because of this, there is a great staff that work in this office and are willing to find a country for you to live in.

The general requirements depend on which school you are enrolled in: Arts and Sciences,Business, Engineering. I am a student in the Arts and Sciences College, so I am most familiar with these requirements. There are quite a number of requirements to fulfill, but it is an attainable expectation to take these classes and graduate in four years.

Freshman advising is very hands-on. We meet with an adviser about twice a semester to discuss future plans, courses to take. This adviser only has about 100 students, so they remember your name, interests, etc. When comparing advising to a University of this size, it is impressive that they are active in the process.

Class sizes are smaller than one would expect. For all of my politics classes, there are about 50 students in each class, so the professor can know your name, but there are enough students to hear varying opinions.

For the larger classes, there is an extra component called a recitation. The recitation is lead by a teaching assistant, who usually is a doctoral candidate. Recitations meet once a week (outside of class time)and no new material is taught. This is used to help the students review, ask questions to a person who is closer to our age. I find recitations an invaluable tool.

Only merit and need base scholarships are given for first year students. After students complete their first year, they can apply for more selective and specific scholarships. The application was similar to most public universities but throughout the process, admissions office assured us that they look at the entire students, unlike other larger universities.

General education classes aren't exceedingly difficult for adept students, but average students may struggle. Classes within your major vary in difficultly from standard "easy A's" to classes where the average is a 65%. The professors are VERY open, available and useful and the students range from very competitive to just taking up space... typical state school demographics. Study abroad is 21% of the student body, so it's a huge deal at Pitt and they work really hard to make it easy for students to travel where and whenever they want.

You basically fill out the Pitt application which resembles the "common application" used by the IVY's and many state schools as well as writing two short essays. They look at grades, test scores, and extracurriculars and admissions is on a rolling basis so there are no true due dates, however students can apply for early decision if Pitt is their #1 choice.

You have contact with academic advisors--which from talking to my other friends at large schools, is rare. Freshman year you meet with an advisor and talk about short-term and long-term career goals, study abroad opportunities, jobs, internships, etc. Even though the school is 17,000+ class sizes are relatively small. The more you get into your major, the smaller your classes become. Classes are generally taught by a professor who has earned a PhD and are relatively known in their field. They do not have an arrogance about them- they genuinely want to see you succeed in their class. Every professor I have reached out to, they were more than willing to help Study abroad is extremely popular at Pitt--the office is extremely active and they make it easy to go abroad for a semester or a few weeks.

Pretty basic application but they emphasize that they look at the entire student profile.

Scholarships given to freshman are merit based.

Rolling application.