“Good quality education, support services leave something to be desired”
August 2015FORMER STUDENT

The price at the time was reasonable, urban location, and wide course selection

The support services could have been better. Some of the dorms are extremely dated.

Comments

Pittsburgh is a fantastic city, and it was great to go to school in an urban area.

Liberal arts college, you must take many general requirement classes. Core classes are usually pretty difficult to help weed out students who do not belong in the major (at least for my experience: pre-med) Advising was great, i have a wonderful relationship with my advisor. Class sizes are great for such a large school. out of 2283 undergraduate courses offered, only about 6% are 100 students or more, 63% are 30 students or less, and 45% are 20 students or less. Most professors are involved in research so there are many opportunities. School is very competitive, and grading is fair. There are many study abroad opportunities and they are easily accessible, workload is definitely manageable even for students with difficult majors.

Housing is great, cant go wrong with any dorms on campus. Center for Off campus housing makes living off campus easy. Cost of living is low in Pittsburgh, Campus is gorgeous and fun, facilities are well maintained, library is well equipped, great variety of places to study. Food is great. neighborhood is super safe, Pittsburgh was rated number one among bench mark cities in public safety. Relationship with community is great. Crime and safety are not an issue. I am extremely happy.

I applied using the Common app. Plus a Pitt supplement. Regular decision, found out I was accepted within about three weeks. Did not receive a scholarship.

Great mix of large and small classes. General education requirements are mostly useful (except we must take 3 natural sciences classes which is a bit much for those majoring in the arts). STUDY ABROAD IS AWESOME! We send 17% of out undergrad abroad a semester, 10% more than the average and we have our own programs which makes it even more accessible.

So fun, great community, smallest big school ever.

Pitt is a research university so opportunities to become involved with research are countless. Grading uses letter grades as well as +/-. Only 6% of classes have more than 100 students, and all of the larger classes break down into a recitation section each week to review material covered in the large lecture setting.

Quality of life is great. Housing is guaranteed on-campus for 3 years. The campus has a safe feel thanks to the Pitt Police force and their overlap with Carnegie Mellon police and the Allegheny County police force.

Pitt doesn't use the Common Application.

The general education requirements aren't too terrible (fairly flexible); good study abroad program (about 17% of students here study abroad); I don't know much about major requirements--I'm still undecided; advising is good; class sizes vary, but are generally 'smallish' (only 6% have 100+ students, 43% have 20 or fewer, and 65% have 30 or fewer); in my experience, the professors have been very accessible and helpful, and there are a great deal of research opportunities available to undergrads.

Housing options are varied and good; cost of living is pretty good, even more so once a student moves off campus; campus is pretty urban, but with a good amount of green space; nice facilities, several libraries, good dining options all over campus; surrounding neighborhoods are fine; safe campus, etc.

Rolling admissions; essays/interviews/resumes/etc. are suggested, not required application materials; financial aid is quite good--many (most?) students receive some form of aid, and a great number get scholarships from the University.

Non-Common Application School

Essay

Rolling admission

Gen eds, major degree requirements, academic advising, large intro classes, research, office hours, free tutoring, study abroad.. AMAZING!

Rolling admissions, essays, early decision offered

Great research oppurtunities, and difficult classes.

Its awesome.

Unique application.

Pitt has a fairly substantial amount of general education requirements, but students can test out of many of them with AP classes and high SAT scores. I have an extremely helpful academic adviser through the University Honors College. Introductory classes can be large but classes get smaller as students progress in their area of study. There is an abundance of small seminar classes available as well, and honors classes provide small classes. Professors are required to hold office hours weekly and research opportunities are available. Pitt has a program specifically designed to match students who have never done research with professors. I have found grading to be fair. I have had classes with world famous professors - one often was out of the country lecturing between classes. There are many, many study abroad opportunities for all academic disciplines, including engineers, nurses, and business students.

All on campus housing is comfortable. Off campus housing is affordable and transportation is readily available to popular neighborhoods. The campus is easy to navigate although sprawling. Shuttles will take students to all parts of the campus. Facilities are modern and the library is open almost all the time. The meal plans are useful and food is as good as can be expected as a college. The safety of the neighborhood can vary but Pitt offers many, many security measures to combat possible problems. I love Pittsburgh. There are so many cultural opportunities here!

Pitt uses rolling admissions. The regular application is fairly straight forward with only a short optional essay. However, to be considered for scholarships, applicants must complete the essay. After being selected for admission and being granted a scholarship, I was invited to compete for further scholarships. This involved writing three challenging essays. After that round of competition, I had to travel to Pitt to interview with a scholarship committee.

There are general requirements and core classes for the chosen major. 66% of our classes have 30 students or less and professors are very accessible by email and office visits. There are numerous research opportunities that are very easy to find.

The quality of life is amazing and housing is very affordable. The facilities and neighborhood are great.

There are numerous merit scholarships in addition to a very easy admissions process. The school's admission process includes rolling admissions and offers numerous programs including guaranteed admission into many graduate programs.