“UMass-Isenberg Review”
February 2016CURRENT STUDENT

Excellent professors

Great network of alumni

Up and coming business school

Great major classes

Flexibility to double major

Not a lot of entrepreneurship classes

Could offer more finance classes

Could offer more business-tech classes

Comments

This school is constantly rising in the rankings which is valuable to employers. More and more big name companies in all sorts of fields are recruiting at this school. Definitely would recommend it especially if you like the northeast job market.

Everyone has to complete general education classes- "gen ed". There are a wide variety to choose from due to the size of the school. They often count as pre-request courses for you major and they are also good to develop a well rounded student and enable undecided students to explore options. Every major has a different number of requirements. There are over 88 majors and you can even create your own major through the Bachelor Degree with Individual Concentration program 'BDIC'. Every student has an advisory though not everyone finds it necessary to utilize them because requirements are easily laid out online. Class sizes rang from 1 independent study to the largest class size being ` 470 people in Mahar auditorium. Average class size is 35 and only about 30 percent of classes are large lectures. Typically lectures break down one session a week into a small discussion setting which is facilitated by a teaching assistant.

Grading varies by class but for the most part the school does not use a bell curve system.

Every semester about 1,000 students participate in study abroad or domestic exchange opportunities everywhere in the world except for Cuba. We have dozens of partnerships with other schools and are ranked in the top 5 school requested for domestic exchange.

Workload varies by major and depends on if you are a member of the commonweath honors college or not. For example Nurses and Engineers and Music majors stereotypically have some of the most demanding work loads.

96% of freshmen live on campus, 80 % of sophomores, 50 % of juniors and 20 % of seniors. Cost of living on and off campus is comparable. The towns population doubles when college is in session. Its a college town with 5 colleges in the area and it has a cultured young adult vibe. People are laid back and overall happy giving, liberal and green.

Like any city there is crime though typically minor incidents. On campus there are 54 state trained police officers and they have an interchangeable relationship with the police offices of Amherst and Hadley.

The library is a HUGE resource on campus. It's open 24 hours and only closes on Friday and Sat nights. It's 28 stories tall and has over 3 million volumes. In addition there is free tutoring and several computer labs, group study areas and quiet study areas.

There are 4 main dining commons on campus. We do not use a distributor and there is an emphasis on locally grown and eliminating waste but not at the expense of quality taste and presentation. In recent years we won the Ivy award and students generally are VERY pleased with the dining experience. There are always events and guest chefs from other Universities. Bershire dining common recently had a 17 million dollar renovation. On Halloween for example we have steak and lobster every year.

Common Application. It's important to check that you are applying to the Isenberg School of Management. If you do not get in straight out of college it less than a 50% chance of being able to transfer in once you are at the University.

Interviews are non-evaluative.

There are hundreds of scholarships to apply for once you are a student.

general ed requirements

core classes for major

etc...

essay

common app

etc...

General Requirements, Core Business Classes, Business Electives, Core Finance Classes, Class sizes are larger for general requirements and core business classes but get very small for electives and major classes

Strict security restrictions and a little expensive especially meal plans but overall I met a lot of friends through this.

Its a Common App but its really hard to get in to in terms of GPA and SAT minimum requirements. It is especially hard to get into Isenberg

The general requirements at my school are helpful and allow you to have a broad education. Some are really stupid, like college writing, but might be helpful. Gen. Ed. classes are really large, with 300 and more students depending on the class. Some professors aren't easy to get in contact with but the TAs, who actually give you your grade, are easy to keep in touch with and are easily available if you need help. Depending on the class and how many classes you are taking during the semester, the workload can vary. I know some students who have very little work during the week while others have hours and hours of work to do.

The admissions process for my university involved the typical essay questions and short answer questions like the majority of universities use. I applied regular decision and did not have to go through the interview process.

The UMass on-campus housing is a great experience and I would recommend anyone to attend this school and live on campus.

The cost of housing is relatively low compared to other schools. The campus is large, but beautiful and keeps students active and healthy by walking. The library is kind of old but it is a great resource with thousands and thousands of books and tutoring. Overall there is relatively little crime and the entire city that is Umass is nicer than the aberage neighborhood. Most people are very happy at UMass because of the large amount of alcohol available to all students.

We had to write an essay on what Globalization meant to us for my particular Fellows RAP. We also had to fill out an admissions form, FAFSA, and a 1 page essay for the school in general. I applied for early action but am not sure how much the form differs from a regular admission form.

When I applied I filled out the common application for Massachusetts state schools. The application took about 30 minutes to fill out. I also applied for financial aid, and got a good amount of my education paid for. I graduated with only 15K in loans.

challenging but help was always around if you needed it

On and off campus are both reasonable, very safe even though it is large and the surrounding areas and communities are fun.

typical admissions process not too hard but hard enough to be selective.

Great every part of campus had its own niche