GenEds are kind of a joke; for the most part, they are really easy. However, this allows for freshman to adjust to a collegiate academic format. The Isenberg School of Management at UMass has it together: their website offers most everything a student would need, their advisors are usually available and willing to help, and their Career Center is the best on campus. I think that Isenberg caters to majors that tend to produce students who make enough money to give back to the school, namely Accounting and Finance majors. I've heard that they don't do enough in helping place Marketing, Management, and other majors into internships and full time jobs (luckily I am an accounting major). The study abroad opportunities exist through the University and through the business school; I am going on a trip called "Business in Italy" that combines classroom teaching with experiential learning from the Fall semester through to January. I would say that Isenberg is underrated, especially by students applying to more famous Boston-area schools, and that if somebody really wants to pursue an opportunity, they have as good (if not a better) shot at getting to where they want to be. I'm glad I choose UMass out of the schools I got into, that's for sure.

I am a low maintenance person who loves convenience. Therefore, I've enjoyed my experience on campus. I'm close to all my classes, the food is pretty good, I'm close to the library (which is an AWESOME place to work late at night and has tons of space). Though the architecture leaves much to be desired (a.k.a. it's ugly), the campus is beautiful early in the fall and later in the spring. There isn't too much crime, and the town of Amherst is a very good college town.

I was able to apply early action. At the time, I considered UMass-Amherst as my safety school, and assumed I would get in regardless of what deadline I applied for. The application was pretty simple, especially because the Common Application was accepted. As far as financial aid, I didn't get too much, as my family's financial situation doesn't warrant too much money. I think the Mass state gov't doesn't put as much money as it should toward UMass, probably because of all those flashy private schools in the Boston area. Not too much aid money is floating around. Scholarships are something you have to search for and give your best shot, because a lot of people tend to apply for these types of opportunities and it becomes very competitive.

the intro classes are large lectures, and getting to know professors can be hard in those classes. once you reach upper level courses, then the class sizes are more like 20 people, and it is much easier to speak with professors. grading is fairly fair, the workload isn't to much as long as you keep up and don't expect not to do anything. core classes depend on your major, but everyone must take the same core requirements under certain fields of study in introductory classes. business core classes included accounting, business law, information systems, statistics, communications. the management program expects you to take courses in fields like entrepreneurship, international business, and understanding workplaces.

the core classes fall under Social, Political, and Economic Change, Understanding Workplaces, Forming and Transforming Organizations, and Globalizing.

advising is always available, everyone wants to help you

there are student organizations that offer advice on their experience with classes and internships, there are alumni connections, where they come to the school and speak to students on their experiences after school, what helped in school at their job and what you can do to prepare yourself better for your career

you can make a lot of friends, the cost of living isn't out of control or anything, the campus is cery nice, the library is very useful, with a huge number of computers, the area of amherst is small town, the area is fairly safe, but th the school is very large

not too bad, if you're a solid student you'll definitely get in. if you're an above average student you can probably get into one of the more selective programs, like the

Isenberg School of Management

general combined with major for 1st two years then major for the following two years. class size moderate and advising is available

Essay, early action, unique app for b-school and major, common app for everything else. got a scholarship through the honors college.

I like how UMass provides the students with so many options. Usually if you want your classes to be smaller, they can be smaller, and if you want big lectures, you can elect big lectures. Professors are very accessible.

I don't remember. I think I chose early decision and used the common app.

The admissions process is fairly easy. There were not any strenuous extra requirements. However, admission is becoming more selective as greater numbers of students are applying to public universities.

Some very well respected faculty in their respective fields. Some very exceptional classes. Many opportunities.

I was a transfer student who submitted a transcript and essay.

Academics are fairly good considering UMass Amherst is a public school. However, in specialized programs such as Commonwealth College or Isenberg GPAs and expectations are much higher.

A little noisy, but the large campus has numerous activities, events, and services to offer.

application, essay, intervies, scholarships

Honors College, Sports Management, Operations Management

Essays, Commonwealth Honors College, Early action

pretty standard common app stuff, they get a lot of applicants though so you have to be specific.