“UMass-Isenberg Review”
February 2016CURRENT STUDENT

Excellent professors

Great network of alumni

Up and coming business school

Great major classes

Flexibility to double major

Not a lot of entrepreneurship classes

Could offer more finance classes

Could offer more business-tech classes

Comments

This school is constantly rising in the rankings which is valuable to employers. More and more big name companies in all sorts of fields are recruiting at this school. Definitely would recommend it especially if you like the northeast job market.

Joint admission from community college

omg app questions sooo hard

soooo many essays to write like 500 thousand

4 interviews!!! :-O

early dec/action tough!!!

common app accepted

no financial aid :-(

i be rockin the scholarship you know how we does it ;-)

Core classes explore all ranges of the school. Individual courses go into depth of specific departments and programs of study. Choosing one program leads you into a world deep in the material where requirements are plentiful and timely. The accessibility to the professors is amazing with a lot of time dedicated to students.

Cost of living is somewhat on average with the state. The facilities available are great. swimming pools, gym, outdoor courts, and a great art gallery.

There is a lot of paperwork and electronic application processes. Filing acadmemic, employment, and other legal information is all apart of the process. You must file a federal FAFSA form to obtain any consideration for scholarships or grants. An applicant must have a great academic record to enroll in any program at my university.

The cost of housing is relatively low compared to other schools. The campus is large, but beautiful and keeps students active and healthy by walking. The library is kind of old but it is a great resource with thousands and thousands of books and tutoring. Overall there is relatively little crime and the entire city that is Umass is nicer than the aberage neighborhood. Most people are very happy at UMass because of the large amount of alcohol available to all students.

We had to write an essay on what Globalization meant to us for my particular Fellows RAP. We also had to fill out an admissions form, FAFSA, and a 1 page essay for the school in general. I applied for early action but am not sure how much the form differs from a regular admission form.

Notable faculty: During the Spring 2010 semester my investments class professor had $100 million under management and has a list that doesn't end of published scholarly articles along with a number of books. He's on campus often, his door is always open and more than willing to talk with students.

AWESOMEE!!!!

You had a choice to do early action or regular decision. You could pass in the common application. The regular application was very normal and the essay you could write about pretty much anything. If you're in-state, you can get the John and Abigail Adams Scholarship for doing very well on MCAS. I did not receive financial aid. I don't know many people who did because it is a state school.

As a freshman I only took general education requirements and I enjoyed all of them. I feel like I have learned more this year than I have all of high school. I find myself incorperating alot of what I learned into everyday converstion and now I feel like adults enjoy my converstion more because I have more insight and education on a wide spread of topics. Even if I didn't do too well in a class, grades wise, I still feel like I absorbed alot of information and enjoyed the class. There was not one class I didn't like. The introduction courses were big but I never felt that I didn't get the help I needed. There are GREAT tutoring opertunities and dicussion sessins and the library has so many resources and that it's actually hard to not do well in a class. Also, the teachers were always flexible with office hours and for the most part they would respond to my emails almost instantly, reguarless of what time it was.

The food is THE BEST. They offer sushi, borritos, a full vegaterian section and specialty food surprises every week. I lived in Southwest residencial area which is pretty old but has the best dining halls and the best social life, I loved it and am living there next year too. They just put in a new state of the art gym which is beautiful and is always full with students and faculity working out. Amherst is a great cute town with activities going on at all time. There always seems to be a farmers market, festivle or sales going on in town. Theres great bars for the upperclassmen and great shopping an food for everyone. Theres also a more senic are of Amherst thats georgous and I like that its sustainable. The next town over, Hadley, has all the retail stores and commercial food and is a short bus ride away. The buses are great trasportaion and I always feel safe on them or even just walking around. I always feel safe at school.

Applying was easy and they gave great financial aid for in state students, my financial aid needs were met almost 90%.

The UMass on-campus housing is a great experience and I would recommend anyone to attend this school and live on campus.

Everyone has to complete general education classes- "gen ed". There are a wide variety to choose from due to the size of the school. They often count as pre-request courses for you major and they are also good to develop a well rounded student and enable undecided students to explore options. Every major has a different number of requirements. There are over 88 majors and you can even create your own major through the Bachelor Degree with Individual Concentration program 'BDIC'. Every student has an advisory though not everyone finds it necessary to utilize them because requirements are easily laid out online. Class sizes rang from 1 independent study to the largest class size being ` 470 people in Mahar auditorium. Average class size is 35 and only about 30 percent of classes are large lectures. Typically lectures break down one session a week into a small discussion setting which is facilitated by a teaching assistant.

Grading varies by class but for the most part the school does not use a bell curve system.

Every semester about 1,000 students participate in study abroad or domestic exchange opportunities everywhere in the world except for Cuba. We have dozens of partnerships with other schools and are ranked in the top 5 school requested for domestic exchange.

Workload varies by major and depends on if you are a member of the commonweath honors college or not. For example Nurses and Engineers and Music majors stereotypically have some of the most demanding work loads.

96% of freshmen live on campus, 80 % of sophomores, 50 % of juniors and 20 % of seniors. Cost of living on and off campus is comparable. The towns population doubles when college is in session. Its a college town with 5 colleges in the area and it has a cultured young adult vibe. People are laid back and overall happy giving, liberal and green.

Like any city there is crime though typically minor incidents. On campus there are 54 state trained police officers and they have an interchangeable relationship with the police offices of Amherst and Hadley.

The library is a HUGE resource on campus. It's open 24 hours and only closes on Friday and Sat nights. It's 28 stories tall and has over 3 million volumes. In addition there is free tutoring and several computer labs, group study areas and quiet study areas.

There are 4 main dining commons on campus. We do not use a distributor and there is an emphasis on locally grown and eliminating waste but not at the expense of quality taste and presentation. In recent years we won the Ivy award and students generally are VERY pleased with the dining experience. There are always events and guest chefs from other Universities. Bershire dining common recently had a 17 million dollar renovation. On Halloween for example we have steak and lobster every year.

Common Application. It's important to check that you are applying to the Isenberg School of Management. If you do not get in straight out of college it less than a 50% chance of being able to transfer in once you are at the University.

Interviews are non-evaluative.

There are hundreds of scholarships to apply for once you are a student.