“UMass-Isenberg Review”
February 2016CURRENT STUDENT

Excellent professors

Great network of alumni

Up and coming business school

Great major classes

Flexibility to double major

Not a lot of entrepreneurship classes

Could offer more finance classes

Could offer more business-tech classes

Comments

This school is constantly rising in the rankings which is valuable to employers. More and more big name companies in all sorts of fields are recruiting at this school. Definitely would recommend it especially if you like the northeast job market.

omg app questions sooo hard

soooo many essays to write like 500 thousand

4 interviews!!! :-O

early dec/action tough!!!

common app accepted

no financial aid :-(

i be rockin the scholarship you know how we does it ;-)

Core classes explore all ranges of the school. Individual courses go into depth of specific departments and programs of study. Choosing one program leads you into a world deep in the material where requirements are plentiful and timely. The accessibility to the professors is amazing with a lot of time dedicated to students.

Cost of living is somewhat on average with the state. The facilities available are great. swimming pools, gym, outdoor courts, and a great art gallery.

There is a lot of paperwork and electronic application processes. Filing acadmemic, employment, and other legal information is all apart of the process. You must file a federal FAFSA form to obtain any consideration for scholarships or grants. An applicant must have a great academic record to enroll in any program at my university.

Joint admission from community college

General Education requirements-Biological, Physical and Social Sciences, Maths, History, Literature/Arts; Core classes- economics, calculus, statistics, information technology, law, writing, business strategy; Core degree requirements then extra school of management classes; Academic advising is excellent and very personal; Professors are very willing to help and are interested in having their students succeed and reach the best of their abilities; Very competitive; grading is fair; faculty are top notch; very much encourage studying abroad; workload is manageable but demanding.

Housing is amazing on campus; the meal plans for dining are great and the food is awesome. The cost of living is reasonable for what we are getting. The overall quality is great- it is very much a community atmosphere and the crime and safety aspects are taken very seriously.

Early action, Common Application

The cost of housing is relatively low compared to other schools. The campus is large, but beautiful and keeps students active and healthy by walking. The library is kind of old but it is a great resource with thousands and thousands of books and tutoring. Overall there is relatively little crime and the entire city that is Umass is nicer than the aberage neighborhood. Most people are very happy at UMass because of the large amount of alcohol available to all students.

We had to write an essay on what Globalization meant to us for my particular Fellows RAP. We also had to fill out an admissions form, FAFSA, and a 1 page essay for the school in general. I applied for early action but am not sure how much the form differs from a regular admission form.

When I applied I filled out the common application for Massachusetts state schools. The application took about 30 minutes to fill out. I also applied for financial aid, and got a good amount of my education paid for. I graduated with only 15K in loans.

I need to complete General Education classes and there are requirements for being a business student. I also have classes I need to take for my major. Being an Hospitality and Tourism Management major allows me to take a variety of courses in Food & Beverage, Club, Evene Planning, Casino, and more. All professors have office hours and most are willing to meet with you even outside of those hours. The faculty is superb. They have experience within the fields they are teaching and their education has never stopped. There are countless study abroad opportunities that students can take advantage of. You can go to places specifically for you major or just to an area of choice.

I lived on a floor with all Business majors and loved it. There was a good community atmosphere. The library is a great place to study. There are many additional resources like the Writing Center, computer access, and printer/copier/fax access. The librarians are very helpful and can assist you in your research process. The food is really good and I have options to go to various dinning facilities. Overall happiness is extremely high, I cannot imagine myself anywhere else.

You can either apply by the Common Application or by the UMass application. You can apply early action. I applied directly to the School of Management and specifically to the Hospitality and Tourism Management program. They only take about 100 incoming Freshmen to the program each year.

- 120 credits required to graduate, including certain general education requirements.

- Personally wasn't too fond of the large size of the more popular underclassmen lectures. However, everyone was assigned a TA and had Friday discussions within smaller groups for those classes so we was constant interaction.

- Took advantage of the Five Colleges Consortium (Smith College, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire, Amherst, and UMass) and was able to take courses at some decent liberal arts colleges in the area. Great opportunity but unfortunately it's not well-advertised. Seems like more Five College students take classes at UMass than UMass students take courses at other Five Colleges. They should add more advisors to this program.

- Very energetic staff at the International Programs Office to help with study abroad opportunities. Friends have spent semesters at Oxford, Peking, Grenoble, and South Africa.

- Upperclassmen, i.e. your major courses, are generally small; then again, I can only speak for my own major, Finance - I assume that senior courses for majors like Political Science and Communications are larger

- It's really what you make of it. There is a research conference every year where you can present your thesis, research, etc. if admitted. Honors students are required to write thesis papers but anyone can take it upon themselves to do so

I never had a problem with housing but I know some that are annoyed that they didn't get their top choice. The administration has been continually making more freshmen-only housing; most seniors live off campus. Campus is very safe and anyone who tells you otherwise clearly has no idea what they are talking about; you are 10 times safer in Amherst than you are in Boston. There's also construction going on around campus. They just finished the new Studio Arts Building and new Recreation Center recently. The library is huge. Huge.

- Separate essays for applying to specific colleges

- School of Engineering, Isenberg School of Management, and Commonwealth Honors Program are rather selective

- Standard process for the main application: SAT scores, Essays, etc... I honestly can't remember since it was so long ago!

challenging but help was always around if you needed it

On and off campus are both reasonable, very safe even though it is large and the surrounding areas and communities are fun.

typical admissions process not too hard but hard enough to be selective.