“UMass-Isenberg Review”
February 2016CURRENT STUDENT

Excellent professors

Great network of alumni

Up and coming business school

Great major classes

Flexibility to double major

Not a lot of entrepreneurship classes

Could offer more finance classes

Could offer more business-tech classes

Comments

This school is constantly rising in the rankings which is valuable to employers. More and more big name companies in all sorts of fields are recruiting at this school. Definitely would recommend it especially if you like the northeast job market.

omg app questions sooo hard

soooo many essays to write like 500 thousand

4 interviews!!! :-O

early dec/action tough!!!

common app accepted

no financial aid :-(

i be rockin the scholarship you know how we does it ;-)

Core classes explore all ranges of the school. Individual courses go into depth of specific departments and programs of study. Choosing one program leads you into a world deep in the material where requirements are plentiful and timely. The accessibility to the professors is amazing with a lot of time dedicated to students.

Cost of living is somewhat on average with the state. The facilities available are great. swimming pools, gym, outdoor courts, and a great art gallery.

There is a lot of paperwork and electronic application processes. Filing acadmemic, employment, and other legal information is all apart of the process. You must file a federal FAFSA form to obtain any consideration for scholarships or grants. An applicant must have a great academic record to enroll in any program at my university.

Joint admission from community college

challenging but help was always around if you needed it

On and off campus are both reasonable, very safe even though it is large and the surrounding areas and communities are fun.

typical admissions process not too hard but hard enough to be selective.

Some general requirements are completed through big classes, which has been a great problem for me because I have trouble learning in such big classes. Despite that, I could get some help from the TAs and other resources available for student taking these big classes.

The regular classes contain on average 28 students and I had done better in these classes, but not as well as I did at my community college because classes at UMass are harder. Students have a lot of homework assignments to do; even when you are not taking online classes, most classes have an online component so assignments are submitted online. Sometimes quizzes and tests are also taken online.

Professors and advisers are easily available, and students may see a professor for help even if they don't take classes with the professor. During my second semester (Spring 2010), I had met with at least three professors to discuss my interest in becoming a college professor. None of them was my professor.

Universit of Massachusetts Amherst is the best public university to go to in Massachusetts, particularly if one does not want to graduate with a mountain of debt. Because of its prestige, a considerable number of high achieving out of state students apply annually to UMass so the school is becoming increasingly competitive. One thing I love about professors and faculty is their constant effort to better the quality education UMass is offering. They are convinced that there is room for improvement, so they refuse to rest on their laurels!

Study abroad opportunities are also available. I met with a lot of students who studied abroad and I have two friends who will do so in the Fall 2010, one in England and another in Spain.

I don't like the food served by the dining halls, but that might be a cultural issue because I am not American. Other than that, I don't have anything to complain about the quality of life at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Living on campus is expensive, but living off-campus is even more expensive. Financial aid, grants and the small loans on my financial aid package cover almost everything for me. Therefore, everything goes well.

I don't know everything about the admission process because I applied through the joint admissions program. Months before I applied, I knew that the admissions process would be smooth for me because I got a competitive GPA at my community college.

Great every part of campus had its own niche

The general requirements at my school are helpful and allow you to have a broad education. Some are really stupid, like college writing, but might be helpful. Gen. Ed. classes are really large, with 300 and more students depending on the class. Some professors aren't easy to get in contact with but the TAs, who actually give you your grade, are easy to keep in touch with and are easily available if you need help. Depending on the class and how many classes you are taking during the semester, the workload can vary. I know some students who have very little work during the week while others have hours and hours of work to do.

The admissions process for my university involved the typical essay questions and short answer questions like the majority of universities use. I applied regular decision and did not have to go through the interview process.

General Requirements, Core Business Classes, Business Electives, Core Finance Classes, Class sizes are larger for general requirements and core business classes but get very small for electives and major classes

Strict security restrictions and a little expensive especially meal plans but overall I met a lot of friends through this.

Its a Common App but its really hard to get in to in terms of GPA and SAT minimum requirements. It is especially hard to get into Isenberg

As a freshman I only took general education requirements and I enjoyed all of them. I feel like I have learned more this year than I have all of high school. I find myself incorperating alot of what I learned into everyday converstion and now I feel like adults enjoy my converstion more because I have more insight and education on a wide spread of topics. Even if I didn't do too well in a class, grades wise, I still feel like I absorbed alot of information and enjoyed the class. There was not one class I didn't like. The introduction courses were big but I never felt that I didn't get the help I needed. There are GREAT tutoring opertunities and dicussion sessins and the library has so many resources and that it's actually hard to not do well in a class. Also, the teachers were always flexible with office hours and for the most part they would respond to my emails almost instantly, reguarless of what time it was.

The food is THE BEST. They offer sushi, borritos, a full vegaterian section and specialty food surprises every week. I lived in Southwest residencial area which is pretty old but has the best dining halls and the best social life, I loved it and am living there next year too. They just put in a new state of the art gym which is beautiful and is always full with students and faculity working out. Amherst is a great cute town with activities going on at all time. There always seems to be a farmers market, festivle or sales going on in town. Theres great bars for the upperclassmen and great shopping an food for everyone. Theres also a more senic are of Amherst thats georgous and I like that its sustainable. The next town over, Hadley, has all the retail stores and commercial food and is a short bus ride away. The buses are great trasportaion and I always feel safe on them or even just walking around. I always feel safe at school.

Applying was easy and they gave great financial aid for in state students, my financial aid needs were met almost 90%.